< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Remember at the NFOA meeting when I said "get the gun out in time"?  (Read 10153 times)

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Remember at the NFOA meeting when I said "get the gun out in time"?
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2013, 03:15:59 PM »
Because you prefer to carry a non-optimal pistol instead.   

And I am better prepared for that "Critical Dynamic Incident" should it occur....having my Ameriglo I.C.E. Claw EMS rear sight at the ready..... working on the Goat Tee and thinking about shaving the head next.....

And might I direct your attention to the Sept 2013 Board Meeting Minutes....your calling awaits
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 03:20:29 PM by bullit »

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2013, 05:25:53 PM »
abbafandr...you are not privy to our history, Lorimor and me.   He correctly believes that the 1911 is THE epitome of handguns for self defense.  I for one happen to agree, although for the past 3 years my daily carry has been either a G19 RTF or G23 RTF.  That being said, I continue to bust his chops because of his staunch and unrelenting beliefs (until now maybe ?).  Furthermore, his wardrobe consists mainly of Thunder Ranch t-shirts, Ho Chi Minh flip flops and a WWCD (What Would Clint Do?) bracelet......and he's a fellow Navy ship mate....he just might cave in and sell me that worthless Wilson he owns too.....Did I mention he has a poster of the Columbus Police Chief above his bed?

I think it could be argued that I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed as anyone who's been around me knows I love to give the Glock guys crap, even after they've kicked my A$$ every which way, multiple times.  I've seen what I consider some truly astounding shooting done with Glocks. 

But I continue to mouth off.  :)

I'm just trying to demonstrate to the world that I have a moderately open mind by allowing a Glock to take up residence in my vault.  With the GFA glued on, the 19 has become less adversarial and does feel more um... "JMB" in my hands.  :)

Who knows where this will lead.  :)

But no, I'll never part with the Wilson. 

PS I do have a Rangemaster and a PF.com t-shirt in the mix now too.  :)
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2013, 06:25:23 PM »
abbafandr...you are not privy to our history, Lorimor and me.

Indeed I'm not.  But was just noting the tendency of many folks here to bad mouth Glock.   :'(

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2013, 07:49:42 PM »

Indeed I'm not.  But was just noting the tendency of many folks here to bad mouth Glock.   :'(

Only because they are jealous.  :)

Story time! 

At a certain large range's club meeting awhile back, a new member was discussing shooting with some of the other members, including some who were officials of the club.  During this, the new member admitted that she shot a Glock, whereupon one particular member made a disparaging comment or two in a joking manner.  And periodically, that member added a couple of other humorous disparaging comments about Glocks.  The new member, somewhat worriedly, finally asked "Is there something wrong with Glocks?"  A different shooter, who has a way with words, said, "No, no, he's just kidding.  If you look at the top five results from any of the pistol matches, you'll see:

Glock
Glock
Glock
Some Shiny Pimp Gun
Glock..."

:)

(You'll have to get the original story from Tom Engel, because he tells it MUCH better than I do.)
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2013, 07:54:24 PM »
I made it out to the range today to find my time for a draw from concealment at 3 yards on a 6" plate.

Currently uploading the video, so once it is on YouTube, I'll post it here and you can make fun of me.

Offline kozball

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2013, 08:41:47 PM »
I made it out to the range today to find my time for a draw from concealment at 3 yards on a 6" plate.

Currently uploading the video, so once it is on YouTube, I'll post it here and you can make fun of me.

What? Couldn't make it below 1.1 seconds?   ;D
\"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn\'t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.\"

Ronald Reagan

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2013, 09:07:02 PM »
What? Couldn't make it below 1.1 seconds?   ;D

Best draw to one shot from concealment on a 6" plate at 3 yards was only 1.15, I think---so no, I couldn't get it below 1.1 seconds.  (Best first shot as a part of a draw-to-four-shots was 1.17 seconds.  Best total time:  1.85 seconds for a draw and four shots from concealment.)

I'll work on it.  :)

(I'll make a post about the video tomorrow.)

Offline kozball

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2013, 09:26:01 PM »
All joking aside, that is wickedly fast.  :o
\"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn\'t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.\"

Ronald Reagan

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2013, 06:48:05 AM »
Ok, got the video finished and uploaded.

It's a little long---ran it once for time, ran it a couple of other times for comparison, ran it with just a draw-to-first-shot for some discussion, then ran it again one last time just to see what would happen after being warmed up.

If all you care about is the first "cold" run----start at 1:18, and watch through 2:20.  :)

Remember---this isn't supposed to be a measure of how fast you will actually be in a self-defense situation when someone is trying to kill you.  Instead is something you can use over time to rate your increase in skills---in speed and accuracy from concealment at close range. 

Offline kozball

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2013, 08:30:08 AM »
Great Video, Thanks for sharing.

Ronald Reagan

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2013, 08:36:15 AM »
Nice production.....I would like to see some improvement though with the Pincus hand gestures while talking....:^p

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2013, 08:54:44 AM »
.....I would like to see some improvement though with the Pincus hand gestures while talking....

You just aren't going to leave the Pincus thing alone, are you?

Watch out---pretty soon I'll start wearing Walmart-brand MMA muscle shirts, and grow my beard out (the balding part is working out without any extra help from me), and then I'll start talking in meaningless doublespeak that sounds almost like intelligent rational discussion, and never actually give my students any meaningful objective information about their skill level so that they can improve their skills---and THEN what will you do?

Humph!

Besides, NO ONE is more tactical than RICK TAYLOR. 

(That video never gets old.)

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2013, 08:09:40 PM »
2 semi related questions

A decent or good shot timer for Android.  Some of us dislike Apple koolaid :laugh:

What size are the targets used in USPSA matches?

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2013, 07:46:07 AM »
2 semi related questions

A decent or good shot timer for Android.  Some of us dislike Apple koolaid :laugh:

What size are the targets used in USPSA matches?

Metric Target:

Classic Target (amoeba!):

A shot timer for Android---I'm not really sure.  Here are a couple I've heard of:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.marzig.shottimer&feature=also_installed

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.stimer&hl=en

...but I don't have an Android, so I couldn't tell you how well they work.

That being said, for me personally, I've found any phone shot timer works best for setting par times for dryfire practice instead of for live fire practice, simply because the numbers you get tend not to be actual.  In other words, you can use the times given as relative references (for example, to see if you are getting faster), but aren't good absolute references (as in, if you compared the numbers to a real shot timer, they would be wrong).

You mileage may vary, of course.  I've still used them for both dry and live fire---but a real shot timer simply works much better.

I know, I know----free is good.   But seriously, just biting the bullet and buying a CED 7000 or something similar will give you a lot less headaches, and much better data. 

http://www.shootersconnectionstore.com/CED-7000-Timer-P168.aspx

(I will say, though, just getting a timer of ANY type (free or not) makes for better practice than NOT having a timer, so excellent, keep it up, good choice!)

Offline RLMoeller

• Sponsor- NFOA Firearm Raffle at the 2009 Big Buck Classic. 2010 Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2013, 08:45:45 AM »
This one works well for dry practice.   It's simple but functional.  The downside is you can't adjust the par time.  Cost is free.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sartuga.android.drypractice&hl=en

More info about it here:   http://drypractice.net/app/

Doesn't have the features that those Thomas posted, but depending on what you are wanting the app to do . . . .

I agree with Thomas about buying a good shot timer if you are wanting to use it at the range and not strictly dry practice.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2013, 11:17:24 AM »
If you want to print your own for dry fire practice (probably too expensive for live fire), here is a thread I posted with links to printable files.

http://nebraskafirearms.org/forum/index.php/topic,5834.msg42283.html#msg42283

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2013, 06:57:42 PM »
(I will say, though, just getting a timer of ANY type (free or not) makes for better practice than NOT having a timer, so excellent, keep it up, good choice!)

Thanks for the info.  Probably will splurge for the real timer someday.

Building some target stands, wanted to make sure the IPSC type targets would fit.

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2013, 10:53:55 AM »
So, just for the sake of my curiosity, how many people DO know their draw time from concealment? 

You don't have to give your times if you don't want (but if you do want to, feel free to post a video like I did!) but how many people know:

1) Your draw time from concealment cold?
2) Your average draw time from concealment?

To me, that really seems like important information in terms of choosing good defensive tactics given a real self-defense situation.    We've had 559 views of this thread so far, so we've got to have at least 20 people reading it.  Do you know your times?

You know, I think I'll start a poll on this, just to get some stats from people.  Time to go play with the forum....

So how many people know?

Offline Mudnrox

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2013, 10:18:31 PM »
Finally got a chance to check this morning, except it was at 5 yards on a 9" plate (I guess I forgot what distance to use).
From concealment wearing an IWB holster (worn behind the hip), a t-shirt, with a zip up light jacket that was half way zipped using my normal carry Glock 19

Cold      - 2.91 (4 hits)
Best      - 2.46 (4 hits)
Average - 2.76

Cold draw - 2.16
Best draw - 1.78
Average draw - 2.07

I need to practice more with my carry gun and holster
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 10:22:22 PM by Mudnrox »

Offline dukduk

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2013, 09:54:52 AM »
dang my time was 2.18 from a gaming rig. i need to work my ccw draw/shot