< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: ENPS Presents: ZOMBIE MATCH IV! (Oct 27th, 2013)  (Read 12043 times)

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
Re: ENPS Presents: ZOMBIE MATCH IV! (Oct 27th, 2013)
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2013, 11:27:29 AM »
Option for full auto?  ;D

The heck with that, let's go with the ability to call in artillery strikes.

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2013, 06:02:50 PM »
jthapkido ...nice shooting in the video.  A little off this topic.....your premature magazine drops in Stage 2 (I think it was) reminds me of some of those habits we need to be aware/concerned about going from gaming/matches to reality (NOT joining the Shawn camp...with all due respect to him et al at Tactical 88). 

I'd be more worried about it if I ever did it OTHER than on a stage in a match.  :)

I see what you mean, and I agree that overtraining (or more importantly, training in only one methodology) builds habits that are hard to break----especially in new circumstances in which your brain freezes, so your body just does what it is used to.

Amusingly enough, I don't make that kind of mistake in DT classes or when practicing on my own. 

(That's literally.  The only times I've ever done that were on stages when I was running full mags.  Apparently, in competition, my brain is stuck in "Production" mode, which is why for the last couple matches of this year, I'm shooting Julie's Limited .40 rig just to do it differently in matches.)

It reminds me of when we hosted Ayoob.  I recall one lad while I was RO'ing "instinctively" doing a press check EVERY TIME he brought his gun out of the holster.  It was quite an interesting thing to behold.  I visited with him about it, especially my concern for REAL WORLD and possibility of getting out of battery due to this habit. 
For what its worth, I am and still can be guilty of my own bad habits (trying to overcome).....

That's actually interesting, because I've seen more people press check due to habits from tactical-oriented classes than from competition-oriented practice.  Matter of fact, I've talked with people who did the "hit the magazine/hit the back of the slide" bit after every reload---including when under time stress (and including after speed reloads).  Their argument was "I need to make sure it runs!" while my argument was "if your gun doesn't go into battery when you rack the slide or merely change magazines (without moving the slide) you need to fix your gun---and right now, you are wasting time.  (This was in competition.  In a SD situation, I REALLY think it is a bad idea since chances are, someone is shooting at you.)

This is off-topic, though, but if you want to continue the discussion, we can start a new thread in a different forum.  :)
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2013, 06:09:56 PM »
As to the other comments, let me go down the list:

• Smoke:  No.
  • Fire:  Very No.
  • Impact Weapons:  Tempting, particularly if someone would supply lots of melons, but No.
  • Full auto:  No.  (Can't do that on all stages, and since it is all headshots, that actually wouldn't help you.)
  • Belt-fed:  Cool, but No.
  • Suppressors:  Wish we could, but chances are (as JonM said) the timer won't pick it up, and you'll get REALLY LONG times.  (Like 300 seconds, which is the max.  You won't like that for stage scores.) Technically you can try it, but you probably won't like it.
  • Artillery Strikes:  No.  (What kind of friends do you HAVE?  Can you introduce me to them?)

That should cover everything thus far, I believe.

Offline jonm

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2013, 11:52:06 AM »
  • Full auto:  No.  (Can't do that on all stages, and since it is all headshots, that actually wouldn't help you.)

I wasnt thinking it as being a help for stages, but for fun on a stage. I know the lower pistol bays dont allow full auto shooting.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2013, 12:25:16 PM »
I was at a multigun match once where a guy used a YHM Phantom on his AR.  It picked up most of his shots but still missed a couple.  On a handgun I'm guessing it will miss even more.  On a .22, forget about it.

Offline greg58

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2013, 01:55:56 PM »
A simple question since I have never done this.
What yardage should I be practicing for the pistol cal. rifle class?
Can someone compete with iron sights?
I have been practicing with my Camp 9 carbine from 10-50 yards, anything more than 50 and my old eyes will need an optic.
Thanks Greg58
Pants Up!  Don't Loot!

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2013, 02:57:16 PM »
A simple question since I have never done this.
What yardage should I be practicing for the pistol cal. rifle class?
Can someone compete with iron sights?
I have been practicing with my Camp 9 carbine from 10-50 yards, anything more than 50 and my old eyes will need an optic.
Thanks Greg58

Won't be a problem.  Our longest bay (for this match) is only 50 yards, plus the same targets will have to be shoot-able for people with iron sights on pistols, too.

You'll be fine.  :)

(I keep thinking of getting one of those Bushmaster AR-15s in 9mm, because they are a ton of fun to shoot.  Haven't done it yet, though.  Smart person I know bought a Cx4 Storm in .45ACP---I asked him why, since the carbine barrel wasn't going to get him any more velocity, so it seemed like a bad choice---but he plans on putting a can and a red dot on it, which would make an OUTSTANDING little quiet carbine.  I keep thinking of doing that myself...)

Offline jonm

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2013, 07:46:58 PM »
I had a 9mm ar. It was meh.

Offline dukduk

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2013, 09:52:02 PM »
I'm always at training when these happen.

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2013, 10:26:48 PM »
I had a 9mm ar. It was meh.

Shot one with a dot at the Rogers Shooting School a couple of years ago.  On those timed reactive steel targets, it was a BLAST.  Had a seriously good time.  :)

Offline SeanN

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2013, 12:41:30 PM »
As to the other comments, let me go down the list:

• Smoke:  No.
  • Fire:  Very No.
  • Impact Weapons:  Tempting, particularly if someone would supply lots of melons, but No.
  • Belt-fed:  Cool, but No.
  • Suppressors:  Wish we could, but chances are (as JonM said) the timer won't pick it up, and you'll get REALLY LONG times.  (Like 300 seconds, which is the max.  You won't like that for stage scores.) Technically you can try it, but you probably won't like it.
  • Artillery Strikes:  No.  (What kind of friends do you HAVE?  Can you introduce me to them?)

That should cover everything thus far, I believe.

Y'know, I was really excited for this match. Now? I just can't be excited. :(

Offline NENick

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2013, 03:39:20 PM »
Ya, with all those options, Sean actually had a chance to hit something!

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2013, 06:15:04 PM »
Y'know, I was really excited for this match. Now? I just can't be excited. :(

Yeah...Thomas is just no fun.

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2013, 08:11:12 PM »
Too many divisions and not enough time :'(  I have toys I like to shoot in 4 divisions.  Decisions, decisions

Offline AFLt

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2013, 09:56:10 PM »
of course i would be away for this  :(

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2013, 10:45:47 AM »
Promotional video for the Zombie match!

...and boy, am I not a video director.  But it was fun anyway.  Thanks to Julie, Ardena, Sean, and Alex for coming out and looking good for the camera. 

The video includes several guns that are legal for different divisions in the Zombie Match, but there are a couple of other divisions that we didn't get video for.  Yes, there is an .22 Irons Rifle division, plus a .22 Irons Pistol division.  (The .22 pistol  shown has a compensator on it, so it would be in the .22 Open division.)

And yes, that Bullpup .22 would be legal in .22 Open Rifle division.  :)

(Obviously, I also have enough guns/types to shoot in several divisions.  And yes, you have to chose just one.)

• Zombie Heads:  Need one shot in the circle to neutralize.
  • Zombie Steel:  Must fall to neutralize (for centerfire)
  • Infected:  Minimum of 3 shots on the paper to neutralize

We'll be posting stages in another week or so.  The website has a ton of information about the match, so make sure to take a look at it.

Pre-register now!  http://precisionresponse.4t.com/Zombie1/ZombieMatch.html

(And if you want a t-shirt, don't forget to get the order form filled out and sent in with your shirt payment.)

Offline SeanN

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2013, 09:11:47 AM »
The more I think about it, the more I'm leaning towards .22 Open Rifle for this...

Offline camus

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2013, 09:33:10 PM »
Alex has the whole check for further threats movement down,  I am really impressed, damn professional.

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2013, 09:46:32 AM »
Alex has the whole check for further threats movement down,  I am really impressed, damn professional.

Yep.  If you whip your head around both directions REALLY FAST, you can certainly see everything.   Hunching your head down into your shoulders improves your field of view, (all evidence to the contrary) just ask any tactical trainer.  :)

Helps if you have a war face on at the time.

(I note that Alex did that in that fashion with no seriousness whatsoever, so no, that ISN'T how he does an area check.)

Offline dcjulie

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2013, 09:11:47 PM »
Okay everyone - GET SIGNED UP!  You KNOW you want to come shoot the match!  You even know you want a t-shirt - so what are you waiting for? :)

In all seriousness, this is a great match and an even better cause.  We had a fantastic turn out last year, and I'd love to see us beat it this year.  The Marines were IMPRESSED with the donations and it would be awesome to do even better this year!  So, head over to the website and pre-register. 

http://precisionresponse.4t.com/Zombie1/ZombieMatch.html