< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Blade Sharpening  (Read 4059 times)

Offline pfinn

• Forum Member
Blade Sharpening
« on: September 15, 2013, 11:03:53 AM »
I need to get a few blades sharpened for a hunting trip in about two weeks. Any recommendations around Lincoln for a good knife sharpener?

Offline sparky0068

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Blade Sharpening
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 11:14:50 AM »
Serrated or not?
KD0LKT

Offline pfinn

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2013, 11:32:56 AM »
Non--serrated mainly. There are serrations on the bottom quarter of the blade, but I'm not worried about those as much as the main blade.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2013, 12:32:50 PM »
If you want to do it yourself buy a Lansky sharpening kit.  Pretty much foolproof.

Offline whatsit

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2013, 12:58:50 PM »
I'm pretty sure Derek over at DE Guns sharpens knives.

Offline sparky0068

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2013, 01:00:09 PM »
I have a landline kit you wanna try or I can show you.
KD0LKT

Offline pfinn

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2013, 05:30:44 PM »
Tried Lansky before, and a few others DIY sharpeners... never quite seem to get a good enough edge. I'll check with DE.

Offline AWick

• Steel Benefactor
  • Home is where your armory is.
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2013, 08:48:37 PM »
I am just getting into custom knife making and in fact, finished my first blade today... well, I still have to do a final 2000 grit wet sand and polish of the blade, but other than that I'm done. I got into it because a buddy has been doing them for about a year and i thought "heck, i could do that!" :)

Anyways, my buddy uses the Work Shop Tool and Knife sharpener. He got his from the bargain cave at Cabela's, but Amazon sells them for $20 cheaper than Cabela's standard price. It hones it to a 6000 grit edge.

http://www.amazon.com/Work-Sharp-WSKTS-Knife-Sharpener/dp/B003IT5F14

I use a hand-me-down Smith's sharpening system with the three stone jig and honing oil. I then follow that up with a piece of ceramic tile scrap that I got from work and then strop it on an old fine leather belt that I kept around just for that purpose. I shaved a little bit of my scruff off today with this blade :)

here is my first blade and the second in progress. As a fun tie-in with firearms, the lanyard thong tube is lined with a russian 7.62 nagant pistol brass casing :)
"Well-regulated" meant well equipped, trained and disciplined... not controlled with an iron fist.

Offline Lmbass14

• Powder Benefactor
  • Red Horse - Semper Ducimus
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2013, 07:57:19 AM »
How much do you sell the knives for?  Looking for a bigger one (like a survivor type) to carry in the vehicle.  Right now I carry a skinning knife in the truck but need something a little stouter. Lesson learned since my brother's house got flooded in CO.  He was at work and at lunch time, he couldn't get to his house.  Luckily he had food and water but no firearm in the truck, but lost pretty much everything.  Going there to help clean up.  Yesterday there was still 8 feet of water in his basement.

Offline AWick

• Steel Benefactor
  • Home is where your armory is.
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2013, 09:19:53 AM »
I'm not selling any quite yet. I'm giving the first ones as gifts and in fact my entire family doesn't even know that I am making these so that they are good and surprised come Christmas time. I also want to hone my craft a bit before I feel like I could actually ask money for them, but i tend to be a perfectionist...

Sorry to hear about your brother! Glad he is OK!

I also wanted to note with regards to sharpening that it is really common for guys to try to go too fine too quick. A good edge has to be established with coarser grits of stones and then slowly worked up to a fine edge. And do both sides evenly. I also lighten my pressure with each stone so that it can "transition" to the next grit.
"Well-regulated" meant well equipped, trained and disciplined... not controlled with an iron fist.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2013, 07:22:21 PM »
That looks fantastic.  I've always wanted to try my hand at blade making.

Offline pfinn

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2013, 08:43:32 PM »
Just a follow up. Took them to DE, and Derek did a great job on them... better than new.