< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Starbucks  (Read 7398 times)

Offline camus

• Steel Benefactor
Re: Starbucks
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2013, 10:52:17 PM »
Oh, I'm sorry! My bad.  I thought I logged in to the NFOA. I must have accidentally logged in to the NPOA. I won't make that mistake again.  Once again, I am so sorry to the Nebraska Property Owner's Association members.

I think it is certainly up to the property owner to post or not, it the individuals choice.
One caveat, is many business owners are leases, so they may not have control.

You do raise a fair point with the fire marshal discussion and regulation, or health regulation, rather any regulation. What level of regulation or protection do you expect from the state or federal level when entering a commercial building? Water contamination, bug infestation, 2 exits when the duct taped gasline leaks?

I think all of that is beyond the Starbucks discussion which is to sell coffee and all they want to do is remove themselves from the gun discussion and continue doing business, they aren't posting, they are asking to just sell coffee, and not be a beacon.

FWIW, I don't patronize Starbucks, I do like good coffee though.

Offline farmerbob

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2013, 12:51:57 AM »
I'm not against property rights.
I'm against gun free zones.

To many innocent lives are lost in the false sense of
security these sign give them, when in reality these
signs make for very dangerous situations.

If these signs worked, all we would have to do is post
are highways no speeding and everywhere else no crime.

Problem solved.
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

Offline Husker_Fan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2013, 06:52:31 AM »
Bob, I agree with you regarding gun free zones. I chose to not patronize any business that operates that way if I can.

There is a fundamental theory of rights under the constitution that people often forget about. Only the government can infringe a right. Between individuals, you can always contract your rights away for consideration. In consideration of being granted a limited license to enter another's property that is posted, you agree to go unarmed, as stupid as that agreement is. If you don't like it, you don't have to do it. You can patronize their competitor instead.

The same is true with other rights like free speech. An employer can fire an employee for saying bad or embarrassing things about them in the press, but the government can't punish me for it. The government can't ban someone from spouting off hate speech, but the passers by are free to give that person a piece of their mind.

Similarly, the government shouldn't compel a property owner to allow an activity on their property that they don't want. Of course, if that means banning carry, that doesn't stop the NFOA from putting that owner or business on a public list of gun-unfriendly businesses.

Offline cad

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2013, 08:00:56 AM »
It is still a free country. I don't care what companies choose to not allow guns in their business.  It is my choice to do business with them, or not, or maybe just not so frequently....it is our choice...so long as BO doesnt screw it up in his last couple of years.
Besides, I am drinking a little cup of coffee from my Keurig right now....and it tastes just as good as Starbucks and has way less calories.
CAD

Offline ProtoPatriot

• Post approval required
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2013, 09:23:57 PM »
Starbucks has every right to do what they are doing...even if it does turn it into yet another killing zone ("gun free zone"). Though as some may have noticed....but others obviously have not....they said little to nothing about the precious concealed carry, so that is still somewhat acceptable (not to mention, if done right, how would they know?). As in the video provided by GreyGeek of Colion Noir, the announcement made clearly states that Starbucks really doesn't want to be a stage/backdrop or part of things (do they have a choice, not really, everyone is involved whether they like it or not or even realize it).

As CAD (though I disagree....this is not a free country, not any more) and others have recognized: if a company is going to deny people their rights, then don't patron their business...simply as that. They don't deserve your money if that is the way they are going to be. One of the best ways to impact a business and get it to change its policies, is take the money away (basically, let the rules of capitalism and free market play out).

But yes, I do agree with others that if a OPEN TO PUBLIC BUSINESS is going to demand/require people to disarm, then they are choosing to take the responsibility of the security/safety of their patrons/employees upon themselves and should provide adequate armed security. When making one choice, you are actually making multiple other choices, both unknown and known ones...both you are responsible and accountable for whether you like it or not. By choosing to restrict someone's ability to defend themselves, they chose to take on the role of defending them... that does NOT include cooperating with the aggressor as that protects/defends no one... in fact in guarantees a victim, both present and future, as the aggressor can now go on and do something else, possibly even worse.

Open carry is far superior to concealed carry any day for numerous reasons... nor is there a reason for us to go into hiding anyway...especially when we are merely exercising our rights as we ought to ("a right not exercised is a right lost[given up/surrendered]").

I would much rather see more people open carry and less police or security guards and it would work much better at lowering crime than anything else (but of course, gun control has nothing to do with crime, safety, or security....except for those in power to protect themselves only).

I found this explanation and reasoning quite nice from neopencarry.org for open carry over concealed...

Deterrence - One of the best reasons to open carry is that it is a valuable means of deterrence. A majority of criminals do not wish to die and are far more likely to avoid citizens who are clearly armed. The negative side of carrying a concealed weapon is that you present yourself as being unarmed; and if a criminal has a choice between attacking an individual who is obviously armed and an individual who may or may not be armed, I think their choice is going to be pretty straight forward. I'd choose to open carry and not leave a criminal to guess whether or not I will offer resistance.

Ease of Access - Another simple reason to open carry is that it is quicker and easier to draw from an unconcealed holster than from a concealed position.

Comfort - Open carry is typically more comfortable than concealed carrying, and it allows you to easily carry while only wearing a t-shirt and shorts.

Cost - A CHP course can cost around $125, and application for a CHP costs $100. $125 + $100 = $225. That's not exactly pocket change for your average Joe. Is it worth it? Perhaps; but it's still a factor to consider.

Advocacy - One more reason to open carry is to make a statement to the public that you recognize your Second Amendment right and are willing to exercise it without fear. Besides, it gives you an opportunity to demonstrate that not everyone who carries a gun is a criminal or a lunatic. The more people who open carry, the more normal it will be come; and ultimately, we would like to keep our right, which would be easier if the general public wasn't so fearful of guns. In fact, this is one of the tactics used by those who are anti-gun: they seek to incite fear of firearms, which causes people to be more open to banning them. This seems like a fitting point to mention that every time you open carry you are on display for everyone around you to see. Know your rights and stand up for them, but be a law-abiding citizen who is always respectful and polite. We are not going to win anyone to our cause by being rude. Know what to say to people who ask you why you are carrying (here are some ideas—just be discerning and realize that some of these one-liners could only make things worse).

Why Not? - Perhaps you have a good reason to not open carry; maybe you spend most of your time at work, where your boss wouldn't approve of your openly carrying a handgun; or maybe you don't feel like you have proper retention training and worry that someone would steal your gun. Now, if you find that your boss doesn't want you open carrying at work, I'd say you probably should grin and bear it; but if you are worried about a lack of retention training, practice and get trained! There are many great ideas for how to retain your weapon at all times (i.e. some combination of using a retention holster, resting your forearm on the top of the gun if people are close, carrying a small knife in your weak-side pocket and knowing how to use it, etc.). And if you are a Christian who is mindful of his testimony (as I am), simply explaining your reasons for carrying in a friendly, respectful manner will go a long way. Finally, if you don't have a good reason not to open carry, then keep in mind that “a right unexercised is a right lost.” If people do not open carry because they are afraid of how the public (or government) will view them, then OC will become illegal de facto.

One last note: I have no real problem with concealed carry itself and even believe it may be preferred to open carry in certain situations (i.e. at work, etc.); however, the purpose of this site is to promote open carry. The only thing that I have a “problem” with is people who wish to hide the fact that they carry a gun out of fear or those who are simply against our right to bear arms.

Is there purpose to conceal carry and is it valuable in certain situations? Absolutely! In fact, having a back-up firearm concealed is always good to have when open carrying (in fact, we should stop with this "open carry" vs "conceal carry" crap....just carry...yes, preferably open for the deterrence and removing of the stigma).
Should we have to ask permission, be treated like a criminal (background check, fingerprints, etc.), fill out paperwork, be restricted (accessories, functions, etc.) etc. to exercise our Nature/God given rights? Absolutely not!

And yes, I know the argument "open carry insults/scares people" and "open carry makes you a first target".

Does it really make you a target or does it make the area/establishment around you safer as there is now a known resistance? Aggressors will pick the target with the lowest resistance, if resistance is known, they will avoid that resistance...but yes, there is of course exceptions for the most determined or most idiotic. Not to mention, enhance things to having everyone armed, what is the likeliness of crime even happening at all then? One person draws, everyone draws... crime stopped in it's tracks.

So what if it insults or scares people, that is their problem and their choice. Emotions mean nothing when it comes to a another person's rights, they don't get to infringe on someone's rights just because they don't like something. In other words, those arguments are complete crap. "Fear of a weapon is a sign of emotional retardation." I know, people say it's out of respect for them and all that crap...but it really isn't... not to mention, what about them respecting your right to carry?

Does open carry draw some unwanted attention today? Sure, but it's something to deal with, but not stop doing it. Should it draw such undesirable attention? Absolutely not...but that's government and liberals in control of the media/schools at work there. But this whole "anti-inyourface" crap needs to stop...nothing is ever really accomplished by back peddling around things, this Country wouldn't even be here if people didn't get into Britain's face directly.

And last note: Starbucks coffee is horrible junk... (in fact, is it really even coffee? I would say no with all the junk they put in it.)... spend a dollar at a gas station and get better coffee than that place. But that's me, I like my coffee pretty plain (just a bit of cream and a couple sugars), if not just plain black.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 10:27:43 PM by ProtoPatriot »
The USA is a Republic...
This is a Democracy...
This is not the USA...

Offline camus

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2013, 10:13:24 PM »

Open carry is far superior to concealed carry any day for numerous reasons... nor is there a reason for us to go into hiding anyway...especially when we are merely exercising our rights as we ought to ("a right not exercised is a right lost[given up/surrendered]").

This is far superior, he does this all day everyday?

http://cdn0.dailydot.com/cache/ee/8b/ee8ba0a3b7a1a01d45dcc21d088cd0df.jpg

All sorts of win here:

http://www.gunnuts.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/justno.png

And some wonder why the CEO made a statement.

Offline ProtoPatriot

• Post approval required
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2013, 03:24:09 PM »

All sorts of win here:

If that is what they wish to carry, absolutely. Them unsling/unholstering to pose for a picture...that's is a different story and a completely different issue.

Would I? Depends on where I am going and what I was doing that day.

For instance, if I was going to someplace like DC, Chicago, Detroit, NY, LA, etc... parts of Omaha or Lincoln.... you damn well bet I will be carrying a rifle and such regardless of the establishment I was to patron.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 04:05:43 PM by ProtoPatriot »
The USA is a Republic...
This is a Democracy...
This is not the USA...

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2013, 04:09:27 PM »
For instance, if I was going to someplace like DC, Chicago, Detroit, NY, LA, etc... parts of Omaha or Lincoln.... you damn well bet I will be carrying a rifle and such regardless of the establishment I was to patron.

So, currently you either just don't go to parts of Lincoln or Omaha, or you actually carry a rifle on you at the time?

Hm.

Completely separate from whether or not this is legal (which it certainly is), whether it is your right (which it certainly is), or whether it is a good idea from a public perception point of view (which is certainly isn't)---there is this thing called "risk assessment" in which people need to realistically look at the situations around them, evaluate potential and probable situations, and plan/prepare realistic responses to them, including having appropriate equipment for the situation.

Perhaps the most important word there is "realistic".

Quote from: ProtoPatriot
Starbucks has every right to do what they are doing...even if it does turn it into yet another killing zone ("gun free zone").

...which they aren't, as they aren't telling people they can't carry in their businesses.

But yes, I do agree with others that if they are going to demand/require people to disarm, then they are choosing to take the responsibility of the security/safety of their patrons/employees upon themselves and should provide adequate armed security.

I don't actually agree with this----UNLESS the patron/employees are forced to be there.  Or unless it is a government institution.

If it is a private business, they can make whatever requirements/limitations on entry that they want.  If you don't like it, if you don't like the risk, if you don't like the requirement---then you don't have to go in.  If you DO go in, it was your choice.  Not their responsibility.

On the other hand, I do agree with the above statement IF either you HAD to go there or it was a government institution.  Governments aren't supposed to be allowed to infringe upon self-defense and firearms rights.  Period.  And cases like when you have to go into the DMV if you wish to get a license, or to the county treasurer to get a permit---you HAVE to go there.  You don't have a choice.  As such, either they should let you carry, OR they have to take responsibility for your safety and well-being.

(The fact that they don't is separate from what I believe logically should be true.)

But private businesses where you can choose whether to go there or not?  It isn't their responsibility---you chose to do it.

And, as was said--we can choose to not give them our money, either.

Private businesses and private property owners get to make their own choices, and the government doesn't have any business telling them what they can and cannot do, as long as said behavior is legal outside of said businesses.  (Which is why the smoking ban annoys me greatly.  I detest smoking, and FAR prefer to be in places where smoking isn't allowed.  And yet---smoking is legal in public, but the government has told private property owners that this perfectly legal action somehow magically becomes illegal if the property owner allows it within their building.)

By choosing to restrict someone's ability to defend themselves, they chose to take on the role of defending them... that does NOT include cooperating with the aggressor as that protects/defends no one... in fact in guarantees a victim, both present and future, as the aggressor can now go on and do something else, possibly even worse.

I don't agree with your first statement in the case of private businesses, as I said above.  However, the second part of your sentence does not follow logically.  And, it seems to imply that if the people in the first situation don't stop the problem, that they are contributing to the problem---and therefore are in some way responsible for the later victimization.

Sorry, but no.  I have enough on my plate with taking responsibility for my own actions.  What someone else chooses to do ("go on and do something else") is not my responsibility.  I may choose to do something about it---but if I don't, their later actions are STILL not my responsibility.

As such, saying that restricting someone's ability to defend themselves "in fact in guarantees a victim" ---is not logically correct, and I strongly disagree.

Back to the original topic:  Starbucks allowed people to simply obey the laws of their state.  People then behaved entirely legally but quite stupidly in obtaining a strong and negative reaction from a large number of people, which then (unsurprisingly) ended up with a negative reaction from a corporation that depends on lots of people be happy buying their stuff.

What a shock.

Legal --- perfectly fine.  Stupid but legal --- not so great.

You can carry a rifle around, and be legal.  You will gain significant negative attention.  (Simple fact.)  Do it enough with enough people, being obnoxious enough in behavior while doing it---and said negative reaction will turn into something more concrete.

Which is stupid.   And goes against what we are trying to do here.  If people think that said behavior will somehow magically change the world in a positive way , I urge you to look at history in terms of how many times this has worked out.

Oh wait, it hasn't.
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline farmerbob

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2013, 05:45:45 PM »
I think the direction we ought to be going is to take the teeth out of the signs, much like other states, where no gun signs don't carry the force of law.

Campus carry, I think, would be a good idea, too.  Probably a long shot, though.

Of course, legislatively, I don't know if this is possible, but it is something we can all get behind as gun owners.

The real problem, as I see it, with gun free zones is in the public school system, where thousands of kids are protected every day by adults with ball point pens and rulers. This has to change!
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

Offline ProtoPatriot

• Post approval required
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2013, 10:58:50 PM »
Due to the discovery that this was originally typed on the bases of a complete misunderstanding that had no real purpose, I am changing this to be more accurate and correct.

So, currently you either just don't go to parts of Lincoln or Omaha, or you actually carry a rifle on you at the time?

Hm.

Yes, I will depending on what I am going there for, how long I will be there, and so on...I base everything from situation to situation... prepare and operate for the worst, hope for the best. When entering the areas I am thinking of, there is a good chance to have to deal with groups of aggressors, rather than solo ones.

Also, as stated, open carrying provides a deterrent.

Now, if I just for some random day feel like carrying my rifle with me for no reason what so ever... what is wrong with that? Because people have retarded, immature emotions? Someone's emotions are invalid when it comes to another person's rights.

No, I don't go to such places as I have no purpose to, if I did (such as work sent me there or something else), yes I would be considering carrying a rifle if the function I would be performing would permit functionality.

Completely separate from whether or not this is legal (which it certainly is), whether it is your right (which it certainly is), or whether it is a good idea from a public perception point of view (which is certainly isn't)---there is this thing called "risk assessment" in which people need to realistically look at the situations around them, evaluate potential and probable situations, and plan/prepare realistic responses to them, including having appropriate equipment for the situation.

...which they aren't, as they aren't telling people they can't carry in their businesses.

Yes, legal...which means very little. Rarely does legality have anything to do with right and wrong.
Public perception which is based on nothing but a complete false pretense, a complete lie...not important to base decisions and how you use your rights.

As for the negative response, remember who we are dealing with. They will find it negative regardless. The open carriers could have been the most friendly, professional, mature, and polite...they would have still found it negative.

I don't actually agree with this----UNLESS the patron/employees are forced to be there.  Or unless it is a government institution.

Yes, you have the right to work where you want... if you get hired. But if they are going to make it impossible to defend yourself or have unsafe equipment and such...would they have employees? Without employees, there would be no customers as no one would be able to serve them. So it is in the business' best interest to provide either security or allow their employees to arm themselves. It is in the business' best interest to provide a safe environment with good equipment, otherwise the same thing. So, this is where the responsibility comes in. It is in their best interest to take that responsibility on or allow the individual employees/patrons to take the responsibility (as it should be).

As for any and all public facilities (i.e. all government buildings/properties as the government is owned by the people) should not restrict the citizens at all...not even if they want to restrict weapons, they have no authority to do so.

If it is a private business, they can make whatever requirements/limitations on entry that they want.  If you don't like it, if you don't like the risk, if you don't like the requirement---then you don't have to go in.  If you DO go in, it was your choice.  Not their responsibility.

On the other hand, I do agree with the above statement IF either you HAD to go there or it was a government institution.  Governments aren't supposed to be allowed to infringe upon self-defense and firearms rights.  Period.  And cases like when you have to go into the DMV if you wish to get a license, or to the county treasurer to get a permit---you HAVE to go there.  You don't have a choice.  As such, either they should let you carry, OR they have to take responsibility for your safety and well-being.

(The fact that they don't is separate from what I believe logically should be true.)

We are in relative agreement here, requires no response.

But private businesses where you can choose whether to go there or not?  It isn't their responsibility---you chose to do it.

And, as was said--we can choose to not give them our money, either.

Private businesses and private property owners get to make their own choices, and the government doesn't have any business telling them what they can and cannot do, as long as said behavior is legal outside of said businesses.  (Which is why the smoking ban annoys me greatly.  I detest smoking, and FAR prefer to be in places where smoking isn't allowed.  And yet---smoking is legal in public, but the government has told private property owners that this perfectly legal action somehow magically becomes illegal if the property owner allows it within their building.)

We can agree there as well. Government has no business doing such things for any reason, they are far too involved in our lives and need to get out.

However, there are smoking bars/clubs. But things should have been left to capitalism to change, not forced through regulation.

But I was not talking about forcing them to do so. But would you not agree that a business needs to provide a safe working environment (not through regulation) if they are going to make it essentially impossible for their employees/patrons to defend themselves? Is it not in the companies best interest to do so? This is where it becomes their responsibility.

If you were thinking I was pushing for some kind of regulation or force to do it, you are mistaken. Responsibilities are not always enforced, some are and some aren't. It should be done because it would be the right thing to do.

I don't agree with your first statement in the case of private businesses, as I said above.  However, the second part of your sentence does not follow logically.  And, it seems to imply that if the people in the first situation don't stop the problem, that they are contributing to the problem---and therefore are in some way responsible for the later victimization.

Sorry, but no.  I have enough on my plate with taking responsibility for my own actions.  What someone else chooses to do ("go on and do something else") is not my responsibility.  I may choose to do something about it---but if I don't, their later actions are STILL not my responsibility.

What I was talking about is that it is the responsibility of each individual to help stop crime, in a collective effort with assistance from the sheriffs (the only legitimate law enforcement agency). You fail to pull your part, you are in turn putting another at risk. Now is it something people believe can be delegated off? Yes, but they are wrong, and such a thing will fail every time and then be used as a tool for oppression.

Every individual is responsible for their own actions, no one else. But you responsible for your part of the interaction. Should the aggressor be allowed to get away, no you are not responsible for them committing another crime, but you are responsible for them getting away. Now, of course, this is all to your ability... it is unreasonable and illogical to expect someone to do something when they don't have the means to do so.

As such, saying that restricting someone's ability to defend themselves "in fact in guarantees a victim" ---is not logically correct, and I strongly disagree.

I did not say the act of restricting guaranteed a victim, I said the act of cooperating and doing nothing to stop the crime guaranteed a victim and that the cooperating also guaranteed a future victim as well (if the aggressor gets away, they are more inclined do it again believing they can get away with it...as has been seen time and time again).

So, you didn't read that quite right.

Back to the original topic:  Starbucks allowed people to simply obey the laws of their state.  People then behaved entirely legally but quite stupidly in obtaining a strong and negative reaction from a large number of people, which then (unsurprisingly) ended up with a negative reaction from a corporation that depends on lots of people be happy buying their stuff.

What a shock.

You can carry a rifle around, and be legal.  You will gain significant negative attention.  (Simple fact.)  Do it enough with enough people, being obnoxious enough in behavior while doing it---and said negative reaction will turn into something more concrete.

Which is stupid.   And goes against what we are trying to do here.  If people think that said behavior will somehow magically change the world in a positive way , I urge you to look at history in terms of how many times this has worked out.

Oh wait, it hasn't.

It doesn't matter if they behaved "stupidly"... do they not have a right to do so?

The negative attention is not important as they will turn anything into a negative... that is what they want... including things like armed citizens stopping crimes/murders...otherwise they will deny that it happened or is even possible.

But hiding that you have firearms doesn't help anything either. That gives them exactly what they want, you more restricted and you giving up your right more and more. They already have you getting a purchase permit, background checks, carry permits, restrict what you can have...all of which are invalid, null and void, false laws... to get you to turn your right into a privilege. Now they are pushing for people to go underground and hide. How does cooperating with this help?

What I said was that open carry is not an issue, it is the individuals inappropriately using their weapons, but it is that persons fault... the rest of us should go unhindered.

But what part was stupid to you? The pictures? Or the carry itself? Or something else?

If it was the carry itself, then that is where you are perpetuating the issue, not help solve it.
If it is the picture, there is nothing wrong with taking a picture, regardless of their reasons. Is it the most appropriate place to take such a picture, no, but there is no problem with it.

I ask why are they drawing their weapons...that I find a problem with, because if I saw them do it, I must assume they see something wrong that I don't so that will trigger me to draw to either back them up or deal with them if they are going to do something wrong. Now that is a problem.

People need to get a grip and realize that just because someone has a weapon doesn't mean anything negative (but again they will twist and turn anything and everything into a negative to serve their propaganda). The police don't help either, they don't ever ask "what is the person doing?", "are they threatening/harassing people?", etc. and when people say "well, they are just ordering coffee" or "they are just walking down the road" to which the police should be telling them "well, there is nothing wrong, they have the right to do that" However, instead they go and harass, demanding ID (something they have no business demanding) and such.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 12:36:20 AM by ProtoPatriot »
The USA is a Republic...
This is a Democracy...
This is not the USA...

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2013, 12:30:08 PM »
Unfortunately for you folks, I decided to take the time to fully answer ProtoPatriot's commentary. As such, this is going to be long.  (Matter of fact, I found out that the maximum allowed length is 25000 characters, which I exceeded.  Whoops.)

The TL;DR summation is at the end of the second post.

Quote from: jthhapkido
Hm.
And so what? Problem? Oh, because of some stupid propaganda out there? Or because that's not something you would do or like to see?
I would appreciate it if you didn't attempt to put words in my mouth, or ascribe motives or beliefs to me that I don't have.  I realize that this then means that you can't set up an imaginary "belief" I have and then argue against it as if that was what I said, so significant amounts of what you are saying suddenly are irrelevant.

As an example:
Well, guess what? You have no say in the matter, it's not your choice and you have no right to tell them they can't (except of course on your private property). Public areas (which include the DMV, parks, fair grounds, court houses, jails/prisons, all government buildings/properties) are owned by all citizens, including those that wish to carry a weapon and they are to be free to do so.

As I said/believe nothing of the sort, that above diatribe is irrelevant. 

Yes, being "realistic" is important... in those areas I mentioned there is a decent chance of actually encountering groups of aggressors... so yes, more firepower is needed.

Really?  Groups.  And "needed."  I'm thinking that:
1) I'd really like to see any data you have showing that there is a "decent chance" of "encountering groups of aggressors" in sections of Lincoln or Omaha.  I am aware that group attacks happen.  But I'd like to see any actual data you have moving a possibility up to a "decent chance".
2) "Needed" is an interesting term to use.  "Need" (rather than "want") is a term that means "your goal won't happen unless this is available".  As such, you are saying that without a rifle in these areas, you simply aren't going to live through it.  (Since, of course, using a firearm is a lethal-level response.)  So you are saying that without a rifle, you wouldn't be able to live if you attempt to move through this area.  That seems like a fairly unsupportable statement, since many people (who aren't armed with rifles) move through all parts of Lincoln and Omaha each day and are not killed.

If you think I'm nit-picking, then my suggestion would be that you not phrase things so strongly or so stridently.

And lets be realistic... is there a problem with carrying a rifle wherever someone goes? No, not one bit. Is it overboard for most situations, sure...but that's not a problem... it's an individual's prerogative and right to do so.

Actually, it can be a problem.  It is long, annoying, gets in the way, requires significant adjustments and movement when entering/exiting vehicles, means that even with a sling it is difficult to do many other common things.  And if you are carrying a rifle because you are in fear for your life (which is the situation that we are talking about, since you are discussing "areas of Lincoln or Omaha" in which you may "encounter groups of aggressors") then your sling has to be a combat sling (as opposed to a carry sling) which makes it even harder to do many common things.

So yes---actually carrying a rifle all the time can indeed add more problems.  And this, of course, is in addition to:
1) legal aspects of carry, in which there are certainly places in which you may not bring a firearm, which means you will need to secure the rifle in your vehicle while you leave it behind, and
2) social aspects of carrying an open firearm, in which people may react with a large range of emotional responses that may be followed by actions such as complimenting you, arguing with you, running away, or calling the police or a manager.

Whether or not any of those problems are serious, or justified doesn't change the fact that indeed, they are problems.  As such, your contention that "No, not one bit" of a problem will occur is simply and obviously wrong.

And no, I don't go to those areas, not because I don't really want to (I don't for many reasons), but because I have no purpose in going into those areas, there is simply nothing there for me. If I had to, I would, but I would load up.
Ah.  So you don't actually carry a rifle in these areas in public.  Do you normally carry a rifle in public (in a city) at all?

I realize, of course, that you say you would do so. 

Which I pointed out if you didn't notice. They are just telling people not to open carry (which just perpetrates the taboo view thus escalating the problem) or form events on their property (which they can do all they want, no problem).

You did point that out.  However, at the same time you said "..even if it does turn it into yet another killing zone ("gun free zone")." 

...which it isn't, since they aren't telling people they can't have guns in that area.

So, the fact that later you contradict yourself doesn't change the fact that what you said at THAT point in time was incorrect.

I don't agree with your first statement in the case of private businesses, as I said above.

Did I say anywhere that they should be forced to do so? No, not one bit, but that doesn't change responsibility. Again, as I stated, let capitalism and free market play out. They want patrons, either allow them to carry or provide adequate security. Not once did I say forced.
Please read what I said, for comprehension purposes.  The responsibility part is where we differ in opinion.

Put more strongly, I believe that I said I think that you are completely wrong.

It is a private building.  You don't have to go there.  You don't have to EVER enter that building.  As such, if you decide to do so, you decide to abide by their rules.  As such, if a private business says "you can't carry, and we aren't going to defend you either" ---you can either stay out, or accept the situation.

Either way, it is NOT their responsibility.  I realize you seem to want to give responsibility to private businesses somehow, and yet, it isn't their job.  You don't like it---then don't go there.

And yes, I know it plays both ways, but in any case, no matter what...an individuals rights are supreme.

That is actually an almost complete non sequitur with regard to this topic.  Even more, your individual rights don't trump anyone else's individual rights, either.

Businesses can make whatever rules (as long as they don't break state/federal rules) that they like within their businesses.  If you don't like said rules, don't go there.  If you DO decide to go there, you have decided to abide by their rules---which means you don't get to argue "my rights trump theirs".   Because they don't.

However what happened to it being the responsibility of the business to provide a safe working environment (though I disagree with such a thing to a point)? If the business is not going to allow their employees to be armed, they are responsible to have adequate armed security. And if their employees are going to be armed, their patrons better be allowed to be armed as well...and vice versa as well (places like Cabelas and Bass Pro do not allow their employees to be armed, but customers can).

That argument would almost work---except you aren't required to work there.  And it breaks no laws to create an environment where "being unsafe" means "people who have nothing to do with this business are going to randomly target us".

Unless, of course, you are saying that the government can and should make laws determining the extent of "the responsibility of the business to provide a safe working environment" to include acts by people unrelated to the business?

No?  Didn't think so.

And I said that exact same thing you just did.
So---why are you arguing against it, then?

Well, obviously you didn't understand that portion very well, but it's not exactly an easy concept to explain completely, especially in text...so that's understandable.

That's a new one.  Say something that someone disagrees with, and then argue that the disagreement is instead based on the fact that they aren't smart enough to understand, as opposed to you being logically incorrect.  Hmm.

So, since you are being victimized, it is now ok to allow someone else be victimized? So, how many victims till the aggressor must be stopped?
Again---don't put words in my mouth.  Especially stupid ones.

What you just said makes no sense.  The conclusion does not in any way follow from the premise.  Being victimized has nothing to do with someone else being victimized.  As such, claiming that I'm saying anything of the sort is ridiculous.

Following that up with "how many victims" sounds like a "what about the children?!" comment, and makes as little sense.

However, no where did I say you were responsible for what the aggressor chose to do, every individual is responsible for their own actions and them alone and only they should be punished in any form.
Then I suggest you not say things like "So, since you are being victimized, it is now ok to allow someone else be victimized? So, how many victims till the aggressor must be stopped?"

But you are responsible for your choices and by choosing not to stop the aggressor, which may lead to another being a victim (again, you make one choice, you make hundreds of choices, both known and unknown; along with those hundreds of simultaneous choices are consequences, both known and unknown....ALL of which you are responsible for).

You are responsible for the consequences of your actions.  Agreed.  However, your statements take that simple concept and extend it into absurdity.

Yes, by allowing aggressor to go, you contributed to any future crime. Will you be held accountable? No, not at all; that would be wrong as you didn't actually commit the attack, but you still did contribute (doing nothing is still doing something).

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke
Let's take another example:
1) I decided to take a different route to work one morning.
2) Because I'm taking a different route, I'm in front of Bob, who travels to work on this route every morning.
3) Because I'm in front of Bob, he misses the green on one light, and is held one extra red-light's-worth of time at that intersection
4) Because he is held there at that intersection one red-light's-worth of time extra, he is in the middle of the intersection when the soccer mom broadsides him as she completes her morning commute while doing her makeup and talking on her cell phone.
5) He dies due to this.

According to your reasoning, I'm responsible for his death.

You know what?  The answer is that my actions were part of a much larger whole, in which he died.  And yet---I'm not responsible for his death.

In a similar fashion, "Yes, by allowing aggressor to go, you contributed to any future crime." is simply logically wrong.  Unless, of course, you take your "responsible for your actions" to the chaos theory level, whereupon you'll find that you'll have to admit responsibility for everything that occurs in your geographical area.

I realize that in Spiderman, "with great power comes great responsibility" comes directly from not stopping an initial crime that led to a greater crime.  And yet, your version of it assigns responsibility (and blame, whether you admit it or not) in places that it simply doesn't exist.

Part II next...

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2013, 12:31:00 PM »
Second half!

How does it not guarantee a victim? The business/individual does not stop the aggressor then complies and you are unable to stop them when they make the demands of you since you are unarmed, are you not a victim (not to mention a victim of the business's/other's decision)? Then since you couldn't stop the aggressor, they go on to victimize another and another. When an aggressor attacks, it is guaranteed to have at a minimum of a 1 victim... if not, there is no crime (you can't victimize yourself, it's a literal impossibility).

Um.  There were some serious logical jumps there.  Let me try to parse this.

"How does it not guarantee a victim?"  --easily.  Guarantee means that something definitely will happen, no ifs, ands, or buts.  It doesn't do that.

"The business/individual does not stop the aggressor then complies and you are unable to stop them when they make the demands of you since you are unarmed, are you not a victim (not to mention a victim of the business's/other's decision)?"
--Yes, you are a victim of crime.  You are not a victim of the business's decision, because you willingly acceded to their business requirements.  It may be a consequence, but you aren't a victim of the business.  And yet, this doesn't have anything to do with your assumption that if you can't stop a crime, you are somehow responsible for the criminal committing later crimes.  So this is actually pretty unrelated.

"Then since you couldn't stop the aggressor, they go on to victimize another and another. When an aggressor attacks, it is guaranteed to have at a minimum of a 1 victim..."   --well, no, not really.  Unless you assume that either:
1) Every aggressor is matched by someone who didn't contribute to the problem (I can think of a number of occasions where both people in a an assault situation broke the law, so this is untrue) or
2) An aggressor who is handled without issue still creates a "victim" which I don't agree with.  After all, "potential victim" and "victim" are two separate categories.  That may be semantics on a personally emotional level, though.

Even if you disagree with #2 (which you might, that's fine), #1 still occurs frequently.  And thus, there are plenty of assault cases in which both people are at fault.

And lastly:  "if not, there is no crime (you can't victimize yourself, it's a literal impossibility)"  --so, I assume you disagree with the concept of a victimless crime?  And, for example, you can't sell yourself?  Huh.  I regret to inform you that the legal system disagrees with you.  Anyway, that's minor compared to the other problems with your statements.  However, it is certainly true that again, this sentence has nothing to do with your main contention, which is that if a person doesn't stop a crime, that person is responsible for later crimes.

Which is still nonsense.

But what you have just said perpetuates the idea that it is better to be a victim than a defender/survivor.
Not even remotely.  Again, don't put words in my mouth, or state that I'm saying concepts that I flat-out didn't say.  Especially don't say that I'm saying things that have nothing to do with what I said.

"Better to be a victim than a defender/survivor" ----I said NOTHING AT ALL that could even remotely be made to even slightly relate to that topic, even if you squint your eyes, read only every third word, and use a dictionary unrelated to reality.

I said that if someone doesn't stop a crime, that doesn't make a that person responsible for any other crimes the criminal may later attempt to commit.  And that's what I meant.

I'll simply say this bluntly:  Attempting to claim that I said "what you have just said perpetuates the idea that it is better to be a victim than a defender/survivor" is flat-out stupid.  And offensive.  But mostly, it is a tactic of desperation from someone who doesn't want to discuss the issue I brought up, and instead makes up random things to attempt to argue against, claiming that I said them.

Prevention of crime can only be accomplished by each individual stopping it as it occurs, pure and simple. It can't be regulated out, it can't be done by law enforcement or government. Each individual must do it. It can't be passed on to others, it simply doesn't work.
"Can only be" is an absolute.  And because of that, we can easily come up with a counter example that shows that your absolute statement is incorrect. 

A little while ago, a criminal attacked a group of people.  The criminal was stopped by an off-duty police officer who was nearby.  That group of people did not stop the crime.  Ergo, prevention of crime can indeed be stopped even if "each individual" isn't stopping it, and indeed, it CAN be passed on to others.  Even law enforcement.

Your absolute (and incorrect) statement is separate from the concept that if each person works to defend themselves and resist crime, then crime will be reduced.  (For example, THAT statement makes sense to me, and also cannot immediately be logically disproven, unlike your statement.)

“The rifle[/weapon] itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles[/weapons].” ? Jeff Cooper, Art of the Rifle
What does that have to do with anything? 

Inanimate objects, by themselves, are neither right nor wrong.  So what?  I realize that throwing in random quotes to make your defense sound better is something you keep doing, but when they actually have nothing to do with the topic at hand, it doesn't really help.

The only reason it gains "significant negative attention" is because of people perpetuating (introduced through the lies of propaganda) the idea that the mere presence of a weapon should be feared and is problem, that an object is a problem and not the person. To which your attitude and going along with such a view merely perpetuates that.
Nice job of missing the point. 

Current social atmosphere regarding carrying of firearms:  From neutral, through potentially alarm-causing, to actively negative.

Carrying large firearms blatantly in an in-your-face loud fashion therefore results in attention shifting from neutral to a more negative stance.  As such, using this method to attempt to make firearms more socially acceptable actually manages to have the exact opposite affect.

Whether you like this or not, whether it is legal or not, and whatever the original reason for said neutral-to-negative public perception--none of that matters.  What matters is that the current social atmosphere was in one condition, and that particular choice of method/mode/behavior made it worse.

Good job, folks. Well done, thanks a lot.

Oh, and your comment about "To which your attitude and going along with such a view merely perpetuates that." not only is factually incorrect (I don't believe I ever said anything about "going along" nor did I ever give that attitude or impression--and I'm not responsible for how your brain ascribes attitudes and motives to me that aren't supported by anything I've said) but also again attempts to paint me in a certain light so that you can argue with me about things I've never said.

Again---it doesn't work that way.  You have to actually argue against what I've said, not what your brain makes up that I haven't said.

Are they being obnoxious or stupid? No, not really. They are exercising their rights, so what if they wanted to take a picture. As long as they are not waving it around, yelling, pointing it at people, etc. there is no problem. If it insults or scares someone, oh well, there is no right not to be insulted/scared/annoyed/etc. You have right to be insulted/scared/annoyed/etc. if you so choose to be but no right to infringe on someone else's rights because of it.
And yet, if the whole point of the situation was to exercise rights in such a way as to work towards more social acceptance of open carry---then what you put in bold shows why it worked so incredibly badly.

My comments didn't say anything about right and wrong.  (Matter of fact, I specifically pointed out that their actions were legal.)  Their actions, however, were STUPID from the standpoint of a group of people who are trying to make firearms more socially acceptable.

They failed.  Badly. And the backlash made it worse.  Congrats.

But yes, escalating by now purposely going in after the announcement just to be asked to leave and such, is stupid and that should not happen. But they did nothing else before.
They did nothing else before?  Hm.  So---you are going to ignore the vast number of images, posts, and stories about people's open carry behavior that caused a large-scale negative reaction in the general public?

The rest of us who actually have paid attention to the situation and haven't ignored things will continue to note that the end result of the in-your-face behavior of a small-but-vocal number of open carry folks is a larger amount of negative public reaction, culminating in a large corporation (which was neutral initially) into shifting to a more negative stance.

All rights are unlimited bound only by ourselves by the chosen interactions between 2 individuals, not groups or law.
Regret to inform you that our entire legal system disagrees with you.  And whether this is right or wrong doesn't change the fact that this is how it currently IS---and the entire point of the OP was that the Starbucks situation was about societal opinions and attitudes as they are.

If you want to talk theory about what constitutes a "right" and how that should affect laws, that is certainly a good topic---but that isn't what this is about.

Is a "Starbucks" really a place to unholster/unsling for such pictures? To me, not really. Those kinds of pictures really are more for ranges, hunting, home, etc. But is there a problem taking a such a public picture either as long as they are being safe about it (which they were in those pictures and many others that have been seen)? No, not one bit.
Depends.  Is their goal increasing public acceptance of open carry?  If so, then they are stupid.  If their goal was to celebrate being able to open-carry in a place that simply obeyed state law---then sure, go right ahead.

Is it a problem they are carrying (whether open or not) and whether a picture is taken or not? No. The reason they are doing it is because of all those stupid, ignorant idiots out there and people with the attitude you just expressed that merely perpetuates it. It is the fact it was made taboo (even under the false pretenses as it is) to carry that they are doing it so "in people's faces" (which is a good thing) in the first place. And by giving into such fears of public opinion (which means nothing when it comes to rights), you are merely perpetuating the problem, not helping to stop it.

Again with writing things and ascribing them to me, when I didn't say them.

"Giving in to such fears of public opinion" --- so, accurately describing society's current opinion regarding open carry is the same as giving in?  Wait, no.

People were carrying "because of all those stupid, ignorant idiots out there" ---so, they were carrying to spite other people?  Great, that attitude will definitely sway people in our direction!

"it was made taboo" --- No, it wasn't.  (Please look up the definition of taboo before you use it again.)

""in people's faces" (which is a good thing) " ---so, a good way to change people's opinions is to get in their face?  Hm.  I disagree strongly.   As, apparently, does society.  And so does Starbucks.

Wait a second---unless you meant that a good way to change people's opinions in a negative fashion is to get in their faces?  Because that certainly works well.

And lastly:
"you are merely perpetuating the problem, not helping to stop it"  ---give me a break.  Pointing out the simple, verifiable fact that in-your-face open carry adds to the negative reaction of society does nothing of the sort. The fact that you don't like that conclusion doesn't actually change anything, nor does making that observation on my part equate to my "perpetuating the problem".

So yet again, stop painting me as the bad guy.  After all, nothing you've said in that vein so far has actually been based on anything I've said---which makes it all not only untrue, but obvious falsehood on your part.

If it wasn't made taboo, then no such pictures or negative attention would be generated at all. But just because it has became taboo, does not mean you give into it and go along with it... you exercise your rights to their fullest regardless.
...which has nothing to do with the topic at hand.  (In addition to being a logically nonsensical set of statements.)

Simple summation:
1) the methods of a small-but-vocal group of people who open-carried generated a significant negative reaction from society,
2) said negative reaction actually hurt our cause,
3) among other things, by causing Starbucks (previously neutral) to actually move their stance against what we want.

Your commentary about responsibility, rights, etc---none of that changes those basic facts.  And nowhere does your contention that "if I don't stop I crime, then I'm responsible for any later crime that criminal commits" make any logical sense, or is supported by any logical argument.  Quite the contrary, it is easy to make logical arguments disproving it.

And for the record, quit putting words in my mouth, then arguing against the illogical strawman arguments you state I am saying. 

Offline ProtoPatriot

• Post approval required
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2013, 12:51:32 PM »
Again, this was due to the misunderstanding and has no valid purpose or any longer.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 11:49:23 PM by ProtoPatriot »
The USA is a Republic...
This is a Democracy...
This is not the USA...

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2013, 02:24:16 PM »
First off, no where did I "put words in your mouth".

Given that I quoted you, that's an odd thing to say.

Nice of you to assume things I didn't say though.

You do realize that I quoted you, right?  So that everyone could see exactly what I was responding to? In your original words?

What you fail to understand, is that in those areas, I would be more inclined to go with a rifle. And do I need a reason to carry a rifle or any other weapon? No, no one does.

So---you don't actually carry a rifle anywhere within a city?  That's all I asked.  Didn't ask why, didn't argue about it---merely asked (because you said you would do so) if you ever actually did.

You still haven't answered, I note.

Offline ProtoPatriot

• Post approval required
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2013, 03:50:37 PM »
Again, further discussion that was based on the major misunderstanding and with the new information, there is no purpose to this post.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 11:50:17 PM by ProtoPatriot »
The USA is a Republic...
This is a Democracy...
This is not the USA...

Offline farmerbob

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2013, 04:02:58 PM »
Maybe this will help you guys.

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2013, 06:52:58 PM »
    My comments didn't say anything about right and wrong.
    ….
    .. so, accurately describing society's current opinion regarding open carry is the same as giving in?  Wait, no.
Again, that all goes back to the propaganda they keep eating up. It wasn't happening before people started making a big deal about nothing.

Legality rarely has anything to do with right or wrong.

And “society” is wrong... nor does “society“ trump the individual.

Ok.  And your point is what, regarding the actual topic at hand, which is:
1) accurately describing society's current opinion regarding open carry, and
2) the negative effects of in-your-face actions by certain open carry folks?

Nothing?  No response?  Because, after all, that was what we were discussing.

[snip]

...so, a good way to change people's opinions is to get in their face?  Hm.  I disagree strongly.   As, apparently, does society.  And so does Starbucks.

You might want to look up all the times through history in which it has taken getting in someone's face about things is the only way it works...and when it comes to rights, that is the only way.

Let me start you off:

US War of Independence
Texas War of Independence
Idia's "war" of Independence
The civil rights marches (which by the way don't work anymore, marches and protests really don't do anything anymore...at least not when they don't disrupt day to day life)
and so many others

Let me get this straight---your response to my comment about how getting in people's faces is not the way to change society's collective emotional response to guns is---examples of wars.

Wars. 

Hm.  Quite frankly, I don't think that is the type of response shift I'm really working toward here.  If you are, that explains a lot, really, but if that really is your preferred method of social change, we can be pretty much done talking here.

True, you do mention civil rights marches---but then say they don't work anymore, unless they disrupt daily life.

So---effectively you seem to be saying that to change society's mind, in-your-face actions such as war work for you.  Yes?  Those were the examples you gave.

I think that there are other ways, other choices still left to us.  That's me, though.

Quote from:  ProtoPatriot
Now, everything I said was in relation to what you said. So, stop saying it wasn't. Now if it didn't come across the way you thought it would, that's a completely different story and obviously you have taken things completely off kilter of what I was meaning in everything.

I have? 

Let's see here, here's quotes from you:
"Or because that's not something you would do or like to see?"
"So, since you are being victimized, it is now ok to allow someone else be victimized?"
"But what you have just said perpetuates the idea that it is better to be a victim than a defender/survivor."
"To which your attitude and going along with such a view merely perpetuates that."
"And by giving into such fears of public opinion (which means nothing when it comes to rights), you are merely perpetuating the problem, not helping to stop it."

You may have written these in response to what I said.  However, since they are (multiple times) ascribing thoughts or words to me that I haven't said, thought, or written---I'm thinking that perhaps you should stop acting as if I have said, thought, or believe these things.

Oh, wait, I forgot this one:
"And don't forget, you attacked what I was saying with your petty pictures and saying what you did when there was nothing wrong with open carry."

Does that make any sense?  (Attacked with petty pictures?  What in the world are you talking about?)  "Saying what you did when there was nothing wrong with open carry"---?  What are you talking about? 

I just went back through the entire thread, and in no place did I do any of the above. 

Where did you get that?  Other than out of your----head?

I was merely pointing out what you were saying isn't helping anything at all and does help perpetrate the problem, not help correct it.

Perpetrate and perpetuate are two different things.  Perpetrate, by the way, means to directly cause the problem.  So---I'm causing the problem?

Oh wait---I thought this discussion was about how in-your-face open carry folks actually caused the problem, which was made obvious by the negative response of the community, and the response of Starbucks.  Apparently I was wrong, somehow I caused all that.

Oh wait, no.

What? you didn't want to answer the questions? Sure they were somewhat rhetorical, but still questions none the less which were saying explain yourself. And yes, I carried on with a possible answer, that doesn't make me wrong, it just makes it so that I wasn't fully informed yet of your meaning, I went with what I had to available

What are you talking about?  Seriously?

I responded to your points in a straightforward, logical, one-at-a-time manner. And your response is....what?  To snip most of the context and actual argument, and not really respond to any of it?

I did lend you a benefit of doubt, but thanks for not doing the same for me. But I guess I was wrong to do so. Good job on taking things out of context though.

Oddly enough, I figure when someone writes something, they have said what they mean.  When I write, I say what I mean.   Or would you prefer that I assume you don't mean what you say?

And oddly enough, I responded to your commentary directly and exactly in the context in which you said it.  (Hence all my comments in the middle of yours, without erasing anything.)

I was going to respond to the rest of what you said---except it really isn't worth it.  Most of the time, you go back and either say the same thing without actually responding to anything I said, or instead you either ignore my questions, or completely set up a different situation that doesn't resemble the first.

I'll note that if you actually clip most of the commentary, then your responses make no sense.

And I note that even after you said "I'm not putting words in your mouth" you then follow that with "you are the one going about helping perpetuate the notion that inanimate objects by going along with that people should not be open carrying because “oh, it offends/scares/annoys people”...thus giving into exactly what they want."

...even though that bears no resemblance to anything I've ever said.

And I agreed with you, if they are going to be professional and mature about, absolutely fine. But at the same they have the right not to be.

If they are going to act a fool and such, yes there is a problem with that PERSON....not open carry itself or weapon itself... it's the person. The way you described it was that open carry was a problem.

I'm sorry to hear that reading comprehension is an issue for you, since I never said anything of the sort.    Matter of fact, a number of times I specifically discussed a loud minority of in-your-face-type people. 

What I was saying is don't condemn open carry because of a few idiots taking a picture...that's the same as condemning every firearm owner for the actions of those at columbine, sandy hook, the navy yard, etc.

Since I didn't do that, you don't really need to worry about it.  I suggest you actually read what I wrote, instead of (as I've said earlier) whatever your brain decided to change my words into.

My personal opinion:  Quite frankly, after having read a number of ProtoPatriot's diatribes here and there, his commentary about war, his commentary about rights (meaning his commentary about how to change things, as opposed to his commentary about what rights should exist), I'm not interested in discussing anything with ProtoPatriot anymore---among other things, because "discussion" apparently isn't what he is interested in, and his attacks and evasions simply are a waste of my time.

For the record:
This thread was originally about how a small group of in-your-face open carry folks caused negative reactions on a large scale, and made a formerly neutral corporation adverse to our cause.

With that in mind:
1) I think ProtoPatriot is wrong when he says it is society's fault, and they weren't causing any problems, and they weren't at fault,
2) I think ProtoPatriot is wrong when he says (on an unrelated topic) that if you don't help stop a crime, then you are responsible for what the criminal does later (completely unrelated to you),
3) I think ProtoPatriot is wrong when he says that people who don't believe as he does are "merely perpetuating the problem, not helping to stop it."

He obviously believes differently.  However, as he isn't willing to actually rationally discuss the matter, it pretty much just stops there.

Here's a helpful thing, in terms of actual discussion:

With that all said, I'd be happy to continue any rational discussion with other people.

Offline ProtoPatriot

• Post approval required
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2013, 11:01:12 PM »
Seriously?

Ok, typing on a tablet earlier...so if it changes the word on me, you of course going to jump on that (petty and immature much? Can't understand mistyping does occur?). And sure I will apologize for that. Yes, it should be perpetuate, not perpetrate (and I was thinking with the way you keep talking that you were smart enough to figure that out). I know the difference, stop acting like you are superior or something.

Ok, I found our problem and where things went off (amazing what happens when you finally get some time to go over things). I just noticed that it wasn't you...really wasn't looking at username.

All sorts of win here:

And I do apologize to you for that jthhapkido. I thought that because you responded after I responded to someone else, so I thought it was the same person (don't know why, but did).

So basically, one giant misunderstanding leading to more and more.

But I will answer some of your questions anyway for the ones that actually pertain and maybe I will answer in a format you can understand:

Ok.  And your point is what, regarding the actual topic at hand, which is:
1) accurately describing society's current opinion regarding open carry, and
2) the negative effects of in-your-face actions by certain open carry folks?

Nothing?  No response?  Because, after all, that was what we were discussing.

I answered, just not in the way you may have wanted...so I guess I'll be a bit more direct.

1: "Society" (that socialistic piece of crap that has no validity) is nothing but a bunch manipulated sheep that want to pass responsibility to government rather take it themselves, where it belongs.

This nation is made of We the People as in We the United Individuals...not the society or groups. I don't care what "society's" views are, an individual's rights trump them.

(And what is your problem with quotes? Is it because they lend validity to someone's argument that you don't have? Because there is several that would go with this.)

2: Did I say there wasn't negative effects? Not at all, but again this thing you call "society" has no right to infringe on individual's rights anymore than government (don't forget, we the people are the real government, the other one is merely an administrative department... the majority can be, if not more so, tyrannical than a dictator). In fact sometimes, negative effects are exactly what is needed.

Let me get this straight---your response to my comment about how getting in people's faces is not the way to change society's collective emotional response to guns is---examples of wars.

Wars. 

Hm.  Quite frankly, I don't think that is the type of response shift I'm really working toward here.  If you are, that explains a lot, really, but if that really is your preferred method of social change, we can be pretty much done talking here.

We are at war. We have been... since the very first law that was passed restricting rights rather than securing them, especially those which it was strictly forbidden for the government to touch (firearms, speech, religion, etc.).

Whether anyone likes to admit it or not.

True, you do mention civil rights marches---but then say they don't work anymore, unless they disrupt daily life.

So---effectively you seem to be saying that to change society's mind, in-your-face actions such as war work for you.  Yes?  Those were the examples you gave.

I think that there are other ways, other choices still left to us.  That's me, though.

That is the only reason they had any real effect.

If doesn't disrupt daily life, no one will actually take the time to notice. The reason India's Independence (do you understand what actually happened in India? It was more like a Civil Rights March, than a war) and the Civil Rights Marches worked is because it was something that put a halt to things. It disrupted so much, that people had no choice but to pay attention.

But today, people are so used to them that they ignore the marches... more concerned about what they want, rather than what is going on around them and how it could end them just as easily... especially with this crap of having to have a permit, can't impede traffic and such. Government has no business regulating such things and they did so to destroy the effectiveness of the protests/marches under the false claim that it is for "public safety". Sorry to break it, but government has only one single duty: secure individual rights. Public safety is not their concern.

And those are the examples I started you off with (as I stated), I didn't say they were the only ones, in fact I said there were many more.

I have? 

Let's see here, here's quotes from you:
"Or because that's not something you would do or like to see?"
"So, since you are being victimized, it is now ok to allow someone else be victimized?"
"But what you have just said perpetuates the idea that it is better to be a victim than a defender/survivor."
"To which your attitude and going along with such a view merely perpetuates that."
"And by giving into such fears of public opinion (which means nothing when it comes to rights), you are merely perpetuating the problem, not helping to stop it."

You may have written these in response to what I said.  However, since they are (multiple times) ascribing thoughts or words to me that I haven't said, thought, or written---I'm thinking that perhaps you should stop acting as if I have said, thought, or believe these things.

Have you ever heard of "questions"? What you said generated those questions... so you might want to think about that for second.

Also, have you ever heard of "inferred"? You don't have to say something explicitly/directly for it to be there.

Oh wait---I thought this discussion was about how in-your-face open carry folks actually caused the problem, which was made obvious by the negative response of the community, and the response of Starbucks.  Apparently I was wrong, somehow I caused all that.

It wasn't the open carry that caused the problems. It was that people were using the Starbucks as a rally point and some didn't act mature. But you also have to remember what we are dealing with...the people that you say are generating the negative response would generate a negative response no matter what, so your argument that it generated negative response means nothing.

As I said, why were they unholster/unslinging?
For picture? OK, no problem there.
Is it the most appropriate place for such a picture? No, not really, but there is no problem in doing it.
Did they harass/assault anyone? No, they didn't.

Again, they would have found something to create that negative response about regardless, there was no stopping it.

Now, as I said repeatedly (which I am pretty sure we agree on), once Starbucks came out and said what they said, people should have respected that and either obliged or went elsewhere. Not purposely going in afterward to push it. And should someone do so and they are asked to leave, they should just be calm and respond honestly with something like "oh, I apologize, I didn't hear about that, I'll go put it out in my car, if that is ok?" (or leave).

I responded to your points in a straightforward, logical, one-at-a-time manner. And your response is....what?  To snip most of the context and actual argument, and not really respond to any of it?

Logical? Not quite.

And I did respond, again just not directly the way you wanted.

And you nit picking because it wasn't in the format you wanted? Get over yourself.

Oddly enough, I figure when someone writes something, they have said what they mean.  When I write, I say what I mean.   Or would you prefer that I assume you don't mean what you say?

Is that what I said? No, I said I wasn't clear which would lend that you probably took or understood it the wrong way. What's so hard to understand about that?

And oddly enough, I responded to your commentary directly and exactly in the context in which you said it.  (Hence all my comments in the middle of yours, without erasing anything.)

I didn't erase anything...as I said, I was snipping the quotes short in order to attempt to get everything to one post. Are you seriously this uptight about formatting?

I was going to respond to the rest of what you said---except it really isn't worth it.  Most of the time, you go back and either say the same thing without actually responding to anything I said, or instead you either ignore my questions, or completely set up a different situation that doesn't resemble the first.

I'll note that if you actually clip most of the commentary, then your responses make no sense.

And I note that even after you said "I'm not putting words in your mouth" you then follow that with "you are the one going about helping perpetuate the notion that inanimate objects by going along with that people should not be open carrying because “oh, it offends/scares/annoys people”...thus giving into exactly what they want."

...even though that bears no resemblance to anything I've ever said.

Now, this is most likely due to the misunderstanding we have had.

But it actually does, just because you didn't say it directly doesn't mean it wasn't said.

Have you heard of indirect and direct before? Surface and underlying?

I made nothing up as you claim.

I'm sorry to hear that reading comprehension is an issue for you, since I never said anything of the sort.    Matter of fact, a number of times I specifically discussed a loud minority of in-your-face-type people. 

Insulting someone isn't going to help you.

Again, there is nothing wrong with getting in someone's face...especially when it comes to rights.

Since I didn't do that, you don't really need to worry about it.  I suggest you actually read what I wrote, instead of (as I've said earlier) whatever your brain decided to change my words into.

See beginning.

My personal opinion:  Quite frankly, after having read a number of ProtoPatriot's diatribes here and there, his commentary about war, his commentary about rights (meaning his commentary about how to change things, as opposed to his commentary about what rights should exist), I'm not interested in discussing anything with ProtoPatriot anymore---among other things, because "discussion" apparently isn't what he is interested in, and his attacks and evasions simply are a waste of my time.

For the record:
This thread was originally about how a small group of in-your-face open carry folks caused negative reactions on a large scale, and made a formerly neutral corporation adverse to our cause.

With that in mind:
1) I think ProtoPatriot is wrong when he says it is society's fault, and they weren't causing any problems, and they weren't at fault,
2) I think ProtoPatriot is wrong when he says (on an unrelated topic) that if you don't help stop a crime, then you are responsible for what the criminal does later (completely unrelated to you),
3) I think ProtoPatriot is wrong when he says that people who don't believe as he does are "merely perpetuating the problem, not helping to stop it."

1: Do you think that the firearm owners didn't play a part in turning things to the way they are? Because I never said they didn't. In fact, they are probably the biggest to blame. They allowed things like the Brady campaign to go thru. They lied and claimed the 2nd amendment had anything to do with hunting. They allowed and gave validity to false laws such as background checks, permits, weapon bans/restrictions, etc.

2: As I said, you are responsible to the point that the aggressor is now able to continue on. I never said you were responsible for the crime they commit next. So, there you put words in my mouth.

3: I was clear on that. But again, that pertained to someone else than you.

He obviously believes differently.  However, as he isn't willing to actually rationally discuss the matter, it pretty much just stops there.

With that all said, I'd be happy to continue any rational discussion with other people.

I am being rational, just not the way you want it....but remember we just had a misunderstanding, which changes everything about this discussion.

Now, I am extremely tired (3 days of 18-20 hour days will wear anyone out), and if I had time (and energy) I would have reread everything word for word (and maybe I would have thought to verify username), including what I was writing to make it more clear.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 11:40:31 PM by ProtoPatriot »
The USA is a Republic...
This is a Democracy...
This is not the USA...

Offline Ronvandyn

• Pollywog
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2013, 02:24:19 AM »
A slightly different way of looking at the issue:

“Starbucks began running full-page ads in major U.S. newspapers on Sept. 19, telling customers that guns are no longer welcome in its cafés. But the company stopped short of an outright ban, exposing the fine line it needs to walk on a highly divisive issue.

The Seattle-based company, which has always set itself apart by taking strong positions on progressive political issues, now finds itself at the center of a fight it didn’t start.

“We are not pro-gun or anti-gun,” CEO Howard Schultz said in an interview, noting that customers will still be served if they choose to a carry gun.

In recent months, gun control advocates have been pressuring Starbucks to ban firearms, while supporters of gun rights have celebrated the company’s decision to defer to local laws.

More at the link!:  http://www.thesedgwickcountypost.com/story.asp?story_id=3001
NE-CHP Holder, USAF Veteran, NRA Member,  ENGC Member
KC0MXX

Offline farmerbob

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2013, 03:49:54 PM »
The best perspective of the open carry vs. concealed carry debate and the Starbucks debacle that I have heard to date can be listened to, for free, by downloading the September 22, 2013, episode of Gun Talk with Tom Gresham,

http://www.guntalk.com/site.php