< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Now I AM an Operator!  (Read 3190 times)

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
Now I AM an Operator!
« on: September 23, 2013, 04:20:12 PM »
I managed to survive Vickers' 2 day "1911 Operator's" class this past Friday and Saturday.  It was well worth my time as I learned some neat little tricks to aid in taking down and re-assembling a 1911.  Also learned some good troubleshooting tips. 

If you're a 1911 guy, it's a great class to take. 
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
Re: Now I AM an Operator!
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 05:33:09 PM »

...and if you are a Glock guy, you don't need it. 

:P
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2013, 05:39:55 PM »

I found a video of some Glock training:

:P :P :P

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2013, 06:52:15 PM »

If you can afford it anyways...
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2013, 08:12:03 PM »

:)

Another name for this class, straight from Vickers himself, is "Glock Appreciation Class."  He made it clear that the 1911 is NOT a good department issue gun.  It's an aficionado's gun... someone who will take the time to stay on top of the maintenance. 

And then there's always the capacity issue and slower reloads due to the single stack design.   

« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 08:14:25 PM by Lorimor »
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2013, 08:13:47 PM »

If you can afford it anyways...

:( Unfortunately, good training isn't cheap. 

Offline ProtoPatriot

• Post approval required
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2013, 09:57:36 PM »
Nice, keep up the good work....  train train train...never enough...and why not when it's so much fun.
The USA is a Republic...
This is a Democracy...
This is not the USA...

Offline gsd

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2013, 10:30:12 PM »
:( Unfortunately, good training isn't cheap. 

I wanted to go to his 1911 Builders Class but couldn't sell a kidney in time...

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2013, 05:42:40 AM »

You knew that SOMEONE was going to say it, so I thought I'd get it in there first.

I must admit, you are one of the few people I've seen who has a 1911 that actually continually runs.

Another name for this class, straight from Vickers himself, is "Glock Appreciation Class."  He made it clear that the 1911 is NOT a good department issue gun.  It's an aficionado's gun... someone who will take the time to stay on top of the maintenance. 

And then there's always the capacity issue and slower reloads due to the single stack design.   

True.  It is also true that for the vast majority of actual self-defense situations, neither one of those things will actually be an issue--as long as the gun runs.  From what I've seen, yours do. 

....which will not, of course, stop me from saying stuff like my original post.  :)

(Have you ever come out to ENGC and run a USPSA match in Single Stack?  If not, you should!  We need some more Single Stack people shooting out there, and I can't do it---I don't even OWN one.)

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2013, 07:47:39 AM »
You knew that SOMEONE was going to say it, so I thought I'd get it in there first.

I must admit, you are one of the few people I've seen who has a 1911 that actually continually runs.

True.  It is also true that for the vast majority of actual self-defense situations, neither one of those things will actually be an issue--as long as the gun runs.  From what I've seen, yours do. 

....which will not, of course, stop me from saying stuff like my original post.  :)

(Have you ever come out to ENGC and run a USPSA match in Single Stack?  If not, you should!  We need some more Single Stack people shooting out there, and I can't do it---I don't even OWN one.)

I shot a USPSA match one time a few years back at ENGC.  I need to get back down there.  If only it weren't so far away.  :(

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2013, 08:04:56 AM »
From Friday's range time.  This is quite possibly the best picture ever taken of me.  No fluff, just the important stuff.  :)

It may be somewhat difficult to piece together, but I'm in the black shirt, second shooter in, with the green hat with the "8" on it and black ear muffs.  I've got the "death grip" thing going on on the 1911 and rest assured there's a steely, hard edged glint in my eyes.  I'm leanin' hard into the gun with nose over toes (or maybe a little more) and locked in behind the gun.  Note the position of the support hand fingers.  The support hand wrist is cammed over to a 45* angle and the index finger is wedged in tight against the bottom of the trigger guard.   Striving to minimize recovery time between shots.

Good times. 
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 08:13:48 AM by Lorimor »

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2013, 12:37:49 PM »
And you're a "Lefty" like BHO and Slick Willie to boot.....

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2013, 01:45:21 PM »
And you're a "Lefty" like BHO and Slick Willie to boot.....

Heheheheh!  That's where I've got you easily fooled Texans all boggled!  I am a natural righty who is blessed with a left master eye.  I've always shot long guns from the port side, so why not handguns? 

That's why my reloads are so smooth.  (ahem)  :)

Offline greg58

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2013, 08:49:02 PM »
Heheheheh!  That's where I've got you easily fooled Texans all boggled!  I am a natural righty who is blessed with a left master eye.  I've always shot long guns from the port side, so why not handguns? 

That's why my reloads are so smooth.  (ahem)  :)

Lorimor,
I have the same "problem" right handed with a left eye dominant. I shoot a rifle left handed, but handgun I continue to shoot righthanded and lean my head over a little.
Was it dificult to train yourself to shoot lefthanded?
I never feel that proficient with handgunning, and I wonder if the eye thing might be part of it. Plus 56 yr old eyes...
Greg58
Pants Up!  Don't Loot!

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2013, 09:40:38 PM »
Lorimor,
I have the same "problem" right handed with a left eye dominant. I shoot a rifle left handed, but handgun I continue to shoot righthanded and lean my head over a little.
I never feel that proficient with handgunning, and I wonder if the eye thing might be part of it. Plus 56 yr old eyes...
Greg58

The advice I get from most trainers is shoot the handgun with your natural strong hand and just tilt your head to place your dominant eye behind the gun. 

The thing is, your LH trigger finger is already somewhat "educated" so to my mind anyway, this is a leg up on the hand gunning thing.  And your natural strong hand gets to do fun things like inserting mags.  I think that's an advantage as well. 

Either way I don't know that either method is a huge advantage over the other.  It just takes hard work and practice. 

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2013, 09:49:18 PM »
Lorimor,

I note that I'm cross-dominant also:  left-handed  and right-eye dominant.  I shoot both handguns and long guns left-handed.

I don't tilt my head for pistol, but I do turn it slightly so that my dominant eye is behind the gun.  It works fine for me--of course I'm not Lorimor, so you should probably listen to him instead.  :)

For rifle, I just shoot with my non-dominant eye.  With a short-range dot both eyes are open anyway, and for long range precision I let my right eye fall closed.  So, no real issue for me.

Quote from: Lorimor
It just takes hard work and practice. 

That's pretty much it.

Offline gsd

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2013, 07:24:20 AM »
I am also cross-dominant, and had issues with it until Chris Zeeb gave me a tip. At full extension, move the pistol slightly to the left, and natural sight alignment occurs. ( I still shoot rifle right eye though)

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2013, 08:41:28 AM »
I note that I'm cross-dominant also:  left-handed  and right-eye dominant.  I shoot both handguns and long guns left-handed.

I don't tilt my head for pistol, but I do turn it slightly so that my dominant eye is behind the gun.  It works fine for me--of course I'm not Lorimor, so you should probably listen to him instead.  :)

For rifle, I just shoot with my non-dominant eye.  With a short-range dot both eyes are open anyway, and for long range precision I let my right eye fall closed.  So, no real issue for me.

That's pretty much it.

Turn, tilt... six of one, half-dozen of the other.  :) 

I've discovered the ultimate drill and in the process learned that there's no time to dwell on crossdominance in a real firefight.  A guy's got to concentrate on the important stuff... like gravity.

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2013, 12:37:15 PM »
The Dynamic Pie guys KNOW THEIR STUFF.  SWEEP THE LEG!

Turn, tilt... six of one, half-dozen of the other.  :) 

...I will note that I personally think that turning or tilting actually DOES make a difference--because tilting your head affects balance (and turning does not, as least not nearly as much) which can be important in terms of movement, and even more importantly, how fast you can get shots off during/after movement.