< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: I CHALLENGE YOU.... (Steel Challenge, Oct 20th)  (Read 6142 times)

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
Re: I CHALLENGE YOU.... (Steel Challenge, Oct 20th)
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2013, 08:11:59 AM »
I believe the SC rulebook limits each squad to only one redhead each.  So bear that in mind if your wife is a redhead.

"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2013, 08:47:50 AM »
I believe the SC rulebook limits each squad to only one redhead each.  So bear that in mind if your wife is a redhead.

Mine's a fake redhead.  So she's only half crazy.

;D

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2013, 09:17:08 AM »
Mine's a fake redhead.  So she's only half crazy.

;D

Mine has red highlights.  They function as a warning beacon. 

She's not so bad though.  I get to buy guns n' bullets w/o too much hassle.  :)

"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2013, 10:53:14 AM »
Mine has red highlights.  They function as a warning beacon. 

She's not so bad though.  I get to buy guns n' bullets w/o too much hassle.  :)

In my case, it means that if I get a new gun, she has to be able to get one also.

The reverse doesn't seem to be true, unfortunately---there have been a couple of cases in which she got a new gun, but I didn't.  :(

And when she moved to Limited-10 (and now to Open) suddenly we need more reloading done, and new components, etc....

[sigh]

Yes, my wife shoots a bigger gun than I do.  And it holds more bullets.  And costs WAAAAAAYYYYYY more.
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline dcjulie

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2013, 07:49:37 PM »
The reverse doesn't seem to be true, unfortunately---there have been a couple of cases in which she got a new gun, but I didn't.  :(

And when she moved to Limited-10 (and now to Open) suddenly we need more reloading done, and new components, etc....

[sigh]

Yes, my wife shoots a bigger gun than I do.  And it holds more bullets.  And costs WAAAAAAYYYYYY more.

I don't see a problem with any of this!  :P   :kiss:

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2013, 08:39:56 AM »
In my case, it means that if I get a new gun, she has to be able to get one also.

[sigh]

Another victim of women's Lib.  This is so sad to witness.  :(

:)

Offline dcjulie

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2013, 09:55:08 AM »

;D

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2013, 07:44:50 PM »
I'd offer this to anyone whose wife is hesitant to come out:  Contact me personally and I'll make sure you are on a squad with other females.  If you don't feel comfortable enough shooting to shoot a match, contact me and I'll take you to the range to help you GET comfortable.  This is an offer from ME - not from our shooting classes.  While I think everyone should take all of our classes, I understand the discomfort of being a new female shooter.  I'd gladly spend a couple of hours with any female to help her get more comfortable so that she can join us for the matches! :)

I think that is an excellent offer. 
In my opinion, I think men like to compete more than women.  In golf ( yes, I  futilely chase a little white ball around green grass regularly) men will outnumber women in tournaments, like here.

My wife started shooting with me this year, (hooray!) but says she has no interest or intention to shoot in competition :'(

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2013, 07:50:08 PM »
Men also can't help poor on the machismo bravado when they are around women.  I was crewed with a new hire female pilot a few years ago.  I watched throughout the week as male pilots from our company came up and reverted to their teen years with all sorts of sophomoric comments.

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2013, 07:53:27 PM »
My wife started shooting with me this year, (hooray!) but says she has no interest or intention to shoot in competition :'(

Ah, but has she shot a steel challenge match yet?  Because competition or not, it is FUN to shoot steel!  :)
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline dcjulie

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2013, 07:55:29 PM »

I said that several years ago, too. ;)   I started at the Rock your Glock matches in Lincoln and realized that competitions are fun.  I TRY not to "compete" with anyone other than myself, but it is good have a way to measure improvement (sort of).   Also, I found that after a couple of years of target shooting, standing still while shooting at pieces of paper got boring.  Give her time, she may come around.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2013, 08:01:29 PM »
Also, I found that after a couple of years of target shooting, standing still while shooting at pieces of paper got boring.

I KNOW...RIGHT?! Running, shooting, reloading.  How could it get any better than that? It's as good as that thing the wife and I used to do.  At least as far as I can remember.

Fly

Offline dcjulie

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2013, 08:05:46 PM »
Yea, I'm so NOT responding to that one! :)

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2013, 08:09:07 PM »
I KNOW...RIGHT?! Running, shooting, reloading.  How could it get any better than that? It's as good as that thing the wife and I used to do.  At least as far as I can remember.

Fly

You mean staying up past 10:00?  Right?

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2013, 08:09:41 PM »
You mean staying up past 10:00?  Right?

Of course.  Only a potty mind would think otherwise.

Fly

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2013, 08:10:50 PM »

Please Mr Fly, let's not go there :D

Offline Workman

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2013, 09:09:23 PM »
Are spectators pretty welcome?  Id like to try this next year but I want to come watch one first to get an idea of whats going on.

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2013, 09:22:46 PM »
Are spectators pretty welcome?  Id like to try this next year but I want to come watch one first to get an idea of whats going on.

The matches are open to the public, come on down and watch.  It's a lot of fun.  Be sure to bring your eye and hearing protection :D

Offline camus

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2013, 10:02:01 PM »

Of course, but it is more fun to shoot.  If you got the gear try it.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2013, 07:09:50 PM »
Definitely don't hesitate to give it a try.  The ENPS people are super helpful to new shooters.  Just let them know this is your first time.