< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Illinois non-resident CC License class - Lincoln Dec 14th  (Read 2420 times)

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
Illinois non-resident CC License class - Lincoln Dec 14th
« on: October 07, 2013, 08:23:11 AM »
Beginning Jan 2nd, 2014, Illinois State Police will begin accepting applications for Illinois Concealed Carry Licenses. (Resident and non-Resident).

IL requires 16 hours of training in order to get their license.

You must have your NE CHP first (which IL State Police will give you 8 hours training credit for), you must then take another 8 hour class taught by an IL State Police approved Instructor.

The IL class will be 4 hours of range time, to include various drills and a 30 round qualification. Then there is 4 hours of classroom covering IL law, IL rules and regs, and the IL process of getting the CCL.

I will warn you now, this is not a cheap venture. The IL resident is $300 for 5 years. (Renewals require a 3 hour refresher class and $300 to renew).

I will offer this class maybe only a couple times per year, as I don't predict there will be a bunch of people interested. SO, if you spend time in Illinois and want a IL CCL, sign up for the class and go through the process.

Class will be held at: Thunder Alley Indoor Range - 4713 Hartley Street - Lincoln, NE
Date and Time of Class:    Saturday December 14th - 8am - 4:30pm
Cost of the class:   $125

Email me if you want to register and I will send you the reg form and details of what to bring.

Offline AWick

• Steel Benefactor
  • Home is where your armory is.
Re: Illinois non-resident CC License class - Lincoln Dec 14th
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 12:01:46 PM »
Dang, that price point and requirement list definitely puts a damper on that single mother living on the south side who walks her kids to the bus stop from trying to protect her family legally...
"Well-regulated" meant well equipped, trained and disciplined... not controlled with an iron fist.

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 12:11:54 PM »
I'm sorry I had a typo

Non resident permit is $300
Resident permit is $150

Still not very cheap for those living there considering they also have to pay for 16 hours of training

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 03:22:33 PM »
I guess the right to self-defense doesn't apply to the poor in IL.  :(
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline aceflyer

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2013, 07:11:40 PM »
This brings up an interesting legal challenge.  If the costs are over-burdensome, can it be overturned??  That seems to be the case with Texas' Voter ID law.  It was blocked by a court in part because it imposes an undue financial burden on the poor by requiring them to buy a bus ticket, then $10 or so to get a government issued ID.  IF that is a burden, isn't a $150 fee??

Since voting is a constitutional right, and per SCOTUS ruling, the 2nd amendment applies to states, as well as individually.  Couldn't the outrageous fees charged by states to issue a CCL, and the fees to receive training be a "burden" to the poor as well??  Does the right to protect oneself only apply to those who can afford it??

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2013, 08:32:01 PM »
It was blocked by a court in part because it imposes an undue financial burden on the poor

Kinda like the Poll Tax that was formerly applied Down South to keep Black Folks from voting.

This situation was made to order for Allen Gottlieb and the 2A Foundation.

sfg

Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline RLMoeller

• Sponsor- NFOA Firearm Raffle at the 2009 Big Buck Classic. 2010 Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2013, 09:34:52 PM »
I'm impressed that they will give any training hour credits for currently held CHP.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2013, 09:57:43 PM »
ChrisZ:   One More Comment on this Illinois CCW...........

Congrats on jumping all the hurdles to become Illinois CCW Certified Instructor.

Now....it seems like you could go to Chicago and fill a convention hall with citizens who want to get their Illinois CCW,    Given the gory daily news in the Chicago Trib and all that.

Just a thought.

But then, Who Wants to Go to Chicago??? 

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2013, 10:00:00 PM »
Unfortunately I have to go to Illinois once or twice per year. I'm not thrilled about the prices, but I would have expected nothing different than the Chicago way of the state doing things.

At least they have something finally!

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2013, 10:01:41 PM »
ChrisZ:   One More Comment on this Illinois CCW...........

Congrats on jumping all the hurdles to become Illinois CCW Certified Instructor.

Now....it seems like you could go to Chicago and fill a convention hall with citizens who want to get their Illinois CCW,    Given the gory daily news in the Chicago Trib and all that.

Just a thought.

But then, Who Wants to Go to Chicago??? 

sfg
Thanks!

I don't plan on doing these classes very often, as I don't think there will be that many people jumping through that hurdle..... But its available for the few that may want to

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2013, 08:52:27 AM »
As bad as IL is, it's still far ahead of states like MA and MD.  Which isn't saying much. 
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller