< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Gerbig arrest  (Read 3463 times)

Offline depserv

• NFOA Full Member
Gerbig arrest
« on: November 01, 2013, 09:32:06 AM »
Anyone have any details on Ashley Gerbig being arrested?  I caught something about it in the newspaper awhile back.  I did business with him and his father many years ago and found them to be ethical and law-abiding.  I've heard some bad things about ATF snitches.  Anyone know what happened in this case?
The liberal cult seeks destruction of the American Republic like water seeks low ground.

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
Re: Gerbig arrest
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, 09:40:59 AM »
http://journalstar.com/news/local/911/lincoln-man-pleads-guilty-to-selling-ak--to-felon/article_29f67a21-d7d0-5612-9ab4-5a1342ed6bde.html

I don't get a registration page but for those that do here is the important part:

"On Monday, Gerbig, 36, pleaded guilty to a single count as part of an agreement with prosecutors.

In exchange, Assistant U.S. Attorney David Wear said he would ask that the other charges be dismissed at Gerbig's sentencing in January.

He said Gerbig sold a Nodak Spud LLC AK-47-type side-folding stock assault rifle March 7 to a man who admitted to him he was a convicted felon. Federal and state law forbids felons from buying or possessing firearms."
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 02:01:00 PM by AAllen »

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2013, 11:27:49 AM »
 that link wont work unless you subscribe

But Ive dealt with the Gerbig,s for many years, since he only had a couple of tables at a gun show, he grew fast. taking a whole section of tables, sad that this has to happen to someone, hope he is cleared of the charges
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline depserv

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2013, 12:07:56 PM »
Thanks for the reply.  I think it was the Journal piece I saw; just ran across it laying on a table somewhere.  I don't normally read the Journal because if I want to read fiction I'll read something like The Hobbit.  The Journal editors are good liars though, and as such I'm sure they will avoid saying anything that can be shown to be factually untrue, so I'd guess the information in the piece is accurate; I just thought maybe somebody might have something that would explain why someone that I remember as being so careful to do everything right would get in this kind of trouble.
The liberal cult seeks destruction of the American Republic like water seeks low ground.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2013, 12:21:49 PM »
There's a lot of strange things going on here.  I'm not sure why he originally lost his FFL but it does appear that he continued to sell guns after giving it up.  I'm sure the ATF had their eye on him, and I wouldn't put it past them to try to either entrap someone or outright lie.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2013, 02:07:05 PM »
There's a lot of strange things going on here.  I'm not sure why he originally lost his FFL but it does appear that he continued to sell guns after giving it up.  I'm sure the ATF had their eye on him, and I wouldn't put it past them to try to either entrap someone or outright lie.

Though he may have, I'm not sure if Ashley ever had a FFL. His dad surely did and looks like at least he will be getting a few guns back according to the story.

The government since has agreed to return 75 of the firearms seized by the ATF to Ashley Gerbig's father, Stanley Gerbig, who owns the home on Deerwood Drive. He was not charged.

Stanley Gerbig had a license to sell guns for 17 years before ATF agents revoked it in 2010.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2013, 02:16:34 PM »
I pasted the important part of the article into my original post, but to add a couple of items:

It was Ashley's father that had the FFL, I don't remember why he lost it but believe it had to do with the ATF coming down on non brick and mortar dealers.  Every few years they take actions to purge the "Kitchen Table" dealers that primarily sell at gun shows and from their homes.

Depending upon size of inventory when an FFL loses their license like this they will transfer a lot of it into their "personal" collection.  They can then sell off items piece by piece for a long period of time (just not making it a business).  It appears that this is what Ashley was doing when he made a sale to someone that had found him via the internet.  The person was curious as to why there was no ID or any backgound check required when he made his purchase  Having noticed a large pile of firearms new in their boxes around, many with price tags, he felt compelled to contact the ATF.  The ATF then did a sting operation and Ashley sold (over time multiple) a firearm to someone that "told him he was a convicted felon." 

Ashley made mistakes in how he disposed of the firearms they had after loosing their FFL, he is paying a large price for those mistakes.  I also had purchased a firearm from the Gerbig's back in the day and found them to be honest businessmen.  But with all the rules we all must jump through, and there being even more for someone selling lots of firearms....Well lets just all take this to be a reminder to be careful in what we do, because things that do not seem like a lot can come back to get us later.

Offline Jesse T

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • XD Shooter
N0ZXR

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2014, 08:02:40 PM »
Ashley Gerbig got 46 months in the cross bar motel

http://www.ketv.com/news/man-sentenced-for-selling-gun-ammo/25253210

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.