< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: When To Draw- good Ar15.com Article  (Read 1799 times)

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
When To Draw- good Ar15.com Article
« on: December 16, 2013, 04:11:00 PM »
This may well have been posted previously here.  I've read it before somewhere but don't remember where.

Sorry if it's a repeat but it's got some good info in it IMHO.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1285487_Street_robberies_and_you___The_Basics.html
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline wcr

• NFOA Full Member
Re: When To Draw- good Ar15.com Article
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 05:46:11 PM »
Thanks for posting the link.  I had not seen the article before.

Excellent article well worth the time to read  especially for those who open or concealed carry.

Would like to see any comments from some of the armed self defense instructors out there on the article - especially as to how it may relate to NE laws.

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 05:56:24 PM »
I disagree with his advice NOT to call police after an event where no shots are fired.  Otherwise, good stuff.
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 08:59:44 PM »
Definitely good stuff.
Lorimor, I'm curious as to why you would call the police if no shots were fired?

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2013, 04:54:44 AM »
Definitely good stuff.
Lorimor, I'm curious as to why you would call the police if no shots were fired?

I'd want to get my side of the story on record should these guys actually call in themselves with a story.  I agree that it's unlikely for the thug types to call in and report such an incident but ya just never know.  Plus calling in and giving a description of the would-be assailants might help with an ongoing investigation. 

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2013, 06:41:52 AM »
I'd want to get my side of the story on record should these guys actually call in themselves with a story.  I agree that it's unlikely for the thug types to call in and report such an incident but ya just never know.  Plus calling in and giving a description of the would-be assailants might help with an ongoing investigation. 

+100   

Offline Lmbass14

• Powder Benefactor
  • Red Horse - Semper Ducimus
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2013, 07:31:55 AM »
Excellent read

Offline sjwsti

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2013, 09:01:29 AM »

Agreed. I had a student relay a road rage experience were he was chased and eventually cornered in a dead end by a truckload of angry guys. He showed a weapon, they chose not to take things further but did call 911 on him. Even though he was the victim, because they were able to tell their version first, he had a difficult time with the responding officers believing his side of what happened. Eventually they came to the right conclusion and he was not charged.

- Shawn
"It's not what you know that will get you into trouble; it's what you know that isn't true"

www.88tactical.com

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2013, 09:31:12 AM »
I could maybe see not calling the police if there was no actual confrontation and you didn't actually draw...for example, let's say it's the middle of the night and two shady looking characters start approaching you across the parking lot.  Before they get close you move your hand into position and prepare to draw, and once they see that you're obviously carrying they turn around.  In that case no laws were broken and no one was actually threatened, but it's obvious you were a target until they realized you were armed.  I don't know if a situation like that would warrant calling the police, but any time I had to draw I would DEFINITELY call. 

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2013, 10:18:08 AM »
I could maybe see not calling the police if there was no actual confrontation and you didn't actually draw...for example, let's say it's the middle of the night and two shady looking characters start approaching you across the parking lot.  Before they get close you move your hand into position and prepare to draw, and once they see that you're obviously carrying they turn around.  In that case no laws were broken and no one was actually threatened, but it's obvious you were a target until they realized you were armed.  I don't know if a situation like that would warrant calling the police, but any time I had to draw I would DEFINITELY call. 

What if during said potential confrontation you managed to get a solid look at both individuals? And later returned home to see on the news that several burglaries/muggings had happened in your area?

I myself would view any situation where I even "made ready to draw" as reason enough to notify law enforcement. (JMO, take it for what you may)
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.