< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Steel and 5.56  (Read 1667 times)

Offline camus

• Steel Benefactor
Steel and 5.56
« on: April 03, 2013, 09:07:11 PM »
Gents,

I am looking for a couple of steel plates 8-10", I would like the kind that sit  on a vertical 2x4 that I see at pistol matches.

1. Anybody have a good source?

2. How close are you shooting these?

Cheers.

Offline HuskerXDM

• 2014 NFOA Firearms Rights Champion
  • Powder Benefactor
The master has failed more than the beginner has even tried.

Offline camus

• Steel Benefactor
Re: Steel and 5.56
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 09:40:28 PM »
Thanks HuskerXDM, that was quicker than I could google.

Those are exactly what I was looking for, will M855 chew them up?

They list Green Tip as a no no.

Offline lneuke

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 09:58:04 PM »
Thanks HuskerXDM, that was quicker than I could google.

Those are exactly what I was looking for, will M855 chew them up?

They list Green Tip as a no no.

Green tip can and will leave dimples in AR500 steel, especially if it's not free swinging.  There isn't much that m855 won't damage unless you're out far enough away that the velocity is lowered significantly.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 09:42:59 PM »
I've been eyeing the AR500 targets at www.wideners.com.  I want to get a gong or two for long distance shooting, or maybe a steel IPSC silhouette.

Offline camus

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2013, 11:16:33 PM »
Green tip can and will leave dimples in AR500 steel, especially if it's not free swinging.  There isn't much that m855 won't damage unless you're out far enough away that the velocity is lowered significantly.

Apparently M193 will put the hurt on steel as well.

It dimpled one of these:

http://www.letargets.com/estylez_item.aspx?item=DMW-10IN+KIT

Does hanging from chains help all that much?

Offline whatsit

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2013, 08:26:14 AM »
I've seen soft point .223 put a dimple in an ar500 target. Velocity will play a big factor in that -- not just the bullet type.
Also, the target that got a ding from the .233 SP was on chains, so I don't think it does much.

Offline CitizenClark

• NFOA Full Member
  • Live free or die!
    • Silencer News
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2013, 09:54:26 AM »
2. How close are you shooting these?

Please be careful about shooting steel with a centerfire rifle. I believe the recommended minimum distance is 100–125 yards. I saw a guy get the whole back of his left hand opened up from copper spall from shooting plates at around 25 yards with .223 Rem a couple of weekends ago.

Offline whatsit

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2013, 09:58:00 AM »
Please be careful about shooting steel with a centerfire rifle. I believe the recommended minimum distance is 100–125 yards. I saw a guy get the whole back of his left hand opened up from copper spall from shooting plates at around 25 yards with .223 Rem a couple of weekends ago.

Yes, don't shoot steel up close with a rifle. If you're going to do that, use frangible ammo. Wallace11Bravo loads his own, but you can buy it too.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2013, 10:08:21 AM »
I've seen soft point .223 put a dimple in an ar500 target. Velocity will play a big factor in that -- not just the bullet type.
Also, the target that got a ding from the .233 SP was on chains, so I don't think it does much.

What distance was that?  Supposedly AR500 or greater is ok for most any centerfire rifle as long as it's greater than 100 yards and not armor piercing.  I have heard, however, that some less than reputable places pass off softer grades of steel as AR500.

I have also heard that chains don't make a big difference, but what will help a lot is to have the plate angled down slightly.

Offline whatsit

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2013, 10:11:10 AM »
What distance was that?  Supposedly AR500 or greater is ok for most any centerfire rifle as long as it's greater than 100 yards and not armor piercing.  I have heard, however, that some less than reputable places pass off softer grades of steel as AR500.

I have also heard that chains don't make a big difference, but what will help a lot is to have the plate angled down slightly.

100 yards. It was on Wallace's steel, so I can't tell you where it came from. 55gr soft point shouldn't have done damage, but it had a good ding in it from a 16" barrel. It was the same steel you shot at during the match this weekend.

Offline wallace11bravo

• NFOA Full Member
  • Don't rush to failure.
    • Midwest Tactical Solutions
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2013, 12:30:34 PM »
I don't remember the SPs doing the damage, it was the "blemished" rounds I thunk... or some sort of FMJ round. I remember your softpoint stuff being fine. I do remember you had a FMJ that was not magnetic that still dimpled quite a bit.

Chains do not make a difference, as near as I can tell. Round composition makes a difference, but velocity is the biggest deciding factor.

In the end, everything has a finite life (equipment wise) so just be aware. I am sure the 300WM was not kind to the steel this weekend. That steel was a bit on the cheaper side, but still holds up well.

Offline whatsit

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2013, 12:43:12 PM »
I don't remember the SPs doing the damage, it was the "blemished" rounds I thunk... or some sort of FMJ round. I remember your softpoint stuff being fine. I do remember you had a FMJ that was not magnetic that still dimpled quite a bit.

Chains do not make a difference, as near as I can tell. Round composition makes a difference, but velocity is the biggest deciding factor.

In the end, everything has a finite life (equipment wise) so just be aware. I am sure the 300WM was not kind to the steel this weekend. That steel was a bit on the cheaper side, but still holds up well.
Yeah, the "blemished" junk is soft point. It is cheap re-man ammo, but has soft point bullets in it.
Anyway, I agree -- everything lasts a limited amount of time. It still fun to shoot at though. ;)

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2013, 12:55:33 PM »
That 300 WM wasn't kind to a lot of things, including my internal organs.  A JP brake on a 300 WM is about enough to cause a concussion.

Offline wallace11bravo

• NFOA Full Member
  • Don't rush to failure.
    • Midwest Tactical Solutions
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2013, 01:14:15 PM »
That 300 WM wasn't kind to a lot of things, including my internal organs.  A JP brake on a 300 WM is about enough to cause a concussion.

You weren't right next to it with a shot timer on the over under stage.