< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Open Carrier at Chilis - 84th st.  (Read 5107 times)

Offline NENick

• NFOA Full Member
Open Carrier at Chilis - 84th st.
« on: November 17, 2013, 01:42:22 PM »
I about fell out of my seat today when I saw a guy OCing at Chilis! I bought his table a desert...I've got to reward good behavior!

Here is how the conversation went:

Me: I want to buy an appetizer for that guy to thank him for open carrying
Waitress: huh, what's that?
Me: gun, holster, outside of pants in open
Waitress: *horrified face*
Me: no, no, no, smile. Open carry good. Legal. Freedom.
Waitress:*smiling now* you got it

Then on the way out, she said that open carrying is "super cool." That's right guys... Chicks dig guys who pack heat.

Offline ragedefined

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Open Carrier at Chilis - 84th st.
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 04:17:24 PM »
Took your advice and joined nfoa lol. thanks again for the dessert! my family was really taken back by your actions today. I can't thank you enough for supporting my passion. your small but very large actions today opened a few more eyes to our passion. Names Nick by the way, looks like you too lol. keep in contact!

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2013, 06:41:54 PM »
Sooo NENick, Where do you frequent and what will packing the Colt .45s and a double drop git me?  I'm partial to a warm brownie Sundae. ;)

Interesting approach- I'll bring that up to the rest of the board- maybe get a local place to reward ALL those packing protection a free desert- wouldn't that be somethin'

P.S. Welcome Rangedefined.
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline sparky0068

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2013, 06:50:18 PM »
I like this.
KD0LKT

Offline Roper

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2013, 07:46:45 PM »
" That's right guys... Chicks dig guys who pack heat."  :)
Concentrated power has always been the enemy of liberty.
Ronald Reagan

Offline ragedefined

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2013, 07:48:31 PM »
Thanks NE Bull.

Look forward to what this site can do for Nebraskans

Offline AWick

• Steel Benefactor
  • Home is where your armory is.
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2013, 09:23:10 PM »
Nice, and welcome Ragedefined! This just about made my day, folks! Keep up supporting each other!
"Well-regulated" meant well equipped, trained and disciplined... not controlled with an iron fist.

Offline NENick

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2013, 02:26:28 PM »
Sooo NENick, Where do you frequent and what will packing the Colt .45s and a double drop git me?  I'm partial to a warm brownie Sundae. ;)

Interesting approach- I'll bring that up to the rest of the board- maybe get a local place to reward ALL those packing protection a free desert- wouldn't that be somethin'

P.S. Welcome Rangedefined.
I'll be happy to buy you a delicious treat for open carrying. OCing takes guts, and I'm happy to encourage anyone interested in doing so. I don't, simply because I'd have to maintain a higher level of situational awareness.

Offline Dave67h

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2013, 10:13:24 PM »
Excellent work.

Offline 00BUCK

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2013, 10:39:43 PM »
Excellent for both parties! I'm somewhat shocked that the anti-open carry crowd hasn't bashed this post yet.

Offline Husker_Fan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2013, 08:32:51 AM »
I like it, but I'm not anti-open carry. I'm anti stupid open carry.

Offline Neeco

• It is what it isn't...
  • Steel Benefactor
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2013, 08:55:58 AM »

I agree with this.  OCing an AR just because, is pointless.  OCing your pistol without drawing any "other" attention to it, is just fine by me.  I think the owner of the Liquor store in Wahoo is a member here, and I remember very clearly the giant 45(IIRC?) he had on his hip when I walked in to purchase my Keg for our wedding reception a couple years back.  I remember saying to myself, dang, I don't want to be around when someone tries to rob this place.  Not once did I think that I was in danger.  Seeing an idiot waving his AR around while walking down the road/walking into a place of business/etc... brings up a whole different mind set.  You immediately have to make the decision is he friend or foe. 

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2013, 10:50:38 AM »

Good point.  For a case study in the wrong way to OC, just look at the Starbucks idiots.  An In Your Face attitude only hurts the cause.  Being respectful about it will help show the public that it's a normal and good thing.

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2013, 11:09:16 AM »
Excellent for both parties! I'm somewhat shocked that the anti-open carry crowd hasn't bashed this post yet.

As people have said, probably because most people aren't anti-open carry, they are anti-angry-rude-aggressive-behavior.

MissMichella, for example, open carries all the time.  I disagree with her reasoning on why it is a good idea---but I don't have any problem at all with her doing it.  And I do think that if more people like her start open carrying, the reasons I have against open-carrying will probably decrease (since the negative reactions of the general public against males carrying firearms will be worn away by seeing more people open carrying).    That doesn't mean I'd start open carrying in public in cities :) but it certainly doesn't mean I have a problem with her choice of open carry. 

People can open carry all they like.  And just like firearms are a tool that increases your effective force, open carry is a factor that increases the effect of your behavior.  If your behavior is loud, in-your-face, and aggressive, then other people's perception of you is affected more if you ALSO have an obvious weapon while you are being loud, in-your-face, and aggressive.

Same if you were carrying an axe.  (The specific tool is immaterial.)

In the public's eye, "gun owner" is a lumped-together group of homogeneous people.  We aren't, of course, but the general public sees us that way.  If someone open carries and demonstrates bad behavior, that reflects on all of us, no matter how unfair that may be.

I'd be perfectly happy if 10,000 people were OCing all through Nebraska---and were normal, polite human beings.  (Better yet, one million people OCing every day in Nebraska.)  The public's perception of gun owners would most likely change (slowly, but it would change) over time due to more familiarity with firearms and gun owners.  The problem is, of course, that a vocal small minority of open carry folks AREN'T normal, polite human beings.  (Just like a vocal small minority of people of CCW folks aren't normal, polite people either---but since they aren't openly carrying, their effect is much smaller.)  And that small minority cause problems for both the majority of OC folks, and all gun owners.

These days, it is entirely too easy for a large group of people to be characterized (or mis-characterized, unfortunately) by the actions of single individuals who behave badly. 

People want to open carry?  Great!  It is completely within their rights, they should do what they want.  Even better, if they are normal, polite people they'll be good ambassadors for the rest of us.  I personally think differently about the effectiveness (from a self-defense perspective) regarding OC compared to CCW, and so I make a different choice.  But I'm not anti-open-carry.

I'm anti-@$$%ole.   (Please pardon the term, but it is a specific fit.)

From a public perception standpoint, if we could get a huge number of 1) cute bouncy college girls, 2) grandfatherly-looking-Santa-Claus-types, 3) professional businessmen in slacks and ties, and 4) mothers with beautiful cute toddlers---all to all open carry every day, we'd win over the public almost instantaneously, as long as everyone could keep their tempers in the face of irrational screaming hoplophobes talking about how horrible they were. 

:)
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2013, 11:40:48 AM »

From a public perception standpoint, if we could get a huge number of 1) cute bouncy college girls, 2) grandfatherly-looking-Santa-Claus-types, 3) professional businessmen in slacks and ties, and 4) mothers with beautiful cute toddlers---all to all open carry every day, we'd win over the public almost instantaneously, as long as everyone could keep their tempers in the face of irrational screaming hoplophobes talking about how horrible they were. 

:)

As an ugly middle aged bald guy I fit none of those categories and feel discriminated against.

;D

Offline NENick

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2013, 11:55:18 AM »
As an ugly middle aged bald guy I fit none of those categories and feel discriminated against.

;D
Chubby, young, white guy.... me neither!

Wait, my little sister fits the bill!!!

Offline Dave67h

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2013, 11:59:30 AM »
Chubby, young, white guy.... me neither!

Wait, my little sister fits the bill!!!

Hey I'm a young white guy too!

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2013, 01:02:54 PM »
Hey I'm a young white guy too!

Which means....

1) your opinion doesn't matter,
2) your views mean nothing important, and
3) no one will listen to you.

....because you are the majority in power (apparently) therefore anything you say must be wrong.  And besides, no one will pay attention to you anyway.  Cute girls work MUCH better for that sort of thing.

Congratulations!
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline Dave67h

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2013, 01:17:26 PM »
Which means....

1) your opinion doesn't matter,
2) your views mean nothing important, and
3) no one will listen to you.

....because you are the majority in power (apparently) therefore anything you say must be wrong.  And besides, no one will pay attention to you anyway.  Cute girls work MUCH better for that sort of thing.

Congratulations!

I can put on a dress and 4" heels. I'll get attention, just maybe not the right kind of attention.

Offline Ronvandyn

• Pollywog
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2013, 10:03:21 PM »
I can put on a dress and 4" heels. I'll get attention, just maybe not the right kind of attention.

Not a mental picture I needed.  :)

Personally, I'd rather have pretty co-ed's carrying openly as well, keeps my wife at bey.  :)

Ron
NE-CHP Holder, USAF Veteran, NRA Member,  ENGC Member
KC0MXX