< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: So sent Cheif Peshong a e-mail....  (Read 11680 times)

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
Re: So sent Cheif Peshong a e-mail....
« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2013, 07:55:08 AM »
it sounds like a good experiment.  i wonder what other members think about sending a simple letter out.

tstuart, maybe work on a form letter so it can give us all a better idea of what you would send.  i wonder it it would help if you include a copy of an empty form 4?
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #41 on: December 17, 2013, 10:30:16 AM »
So this is what I wrote up this morning. This is a draft so I did not do a lot of editing.... I am engineer not a writer so take it easy on me. ;D.

I referenced form4 but do you think I should add form1 also? I want to keep this under a page. Also I left out machinegun.... I don't want to scare anyone.

Dear Fill In:

I am doing some research on behalf of Nebraska Firearm owners and more specify those in the city of Lincoln and Lancaster County. I am researching a list of approved law enforcement and judicial persons that can endorse a National Firearms Act (NFA) transfer form commonly called a Form4. A Form4 is used when a person is requesting to take possession of a class 2 firearm such as a sound suppressor, short barreled rifle/shotgun or any other NFA listed weapon. The requestor must fill out the Form4 have it endorsed by an approved signee and pay a $200 dollar special tax. 
If you are not familiar with NFA protocols you might wonder what your endorsement means. The regulation states that you and your office have the capabilities to determine that there is “no information indicating that the transferee will use the firearm or device described on this application for other than lawful purposes", and "no information that the receipt or possession of the firearm or device...would place the transferee in violation of State or local law".
Below are 3 lines for your response and a line for your signature. Can you please select the box with your position on endorsing a Form4? I have also included a addressed return envelope your convince.

______ Yes, I will sign a Form4
______ No, I will not sign a Form4
______ Undecided

________________________________ Signature

If you would like more information on this matter please feel free on contact me I will do my best to supply you with any information that you might need.

Regards,

You’re Info 

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #42 on: December 17, 2013, 10:39:25 AM »
Perhaps a section offering them the opportunity to explain the option they chose? Or simply a line requesting an explanation?

And yes, Grammar Nazi was held in check ;D
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #43 on: December 17, 2013, 10:49:17 AM »
Perhaps a section offering them the opportunity to explain the option they chose? Or simply a line requesting an explanation?

And yes, Grammar Nazi was held in check ;D

So you think this is a good thing to send out right now GSD?

I can add a line for why. I was trying to keep it simple but why would be a good thing to know.

Thanks for holding back I will send you a copy and let you tear it apart later on. I have always been a numbers not letters guy and never could get the grammar thing.... :-[

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #44 on: December 17, 2013, 10:51:40 AM »
thats a good start, however, when you mention $200, it kind of sounds like they are paying it.  maybe say ".... and a $200 special tax paid by the requestor."  and i agree with an explanation part.

i wonder how many you would get back (if any).
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #45 on: December 17, 2013, 11:12:53 AM »
thats a good start, however, when you mention $200, it kind of sounds like they are paying it.  maybe say ".... and a $200 special tax paid by the requestor."  and i agree with an explanation part.

i wonder how many you would get back (if any).

Good Point I added the requestor and I added if no why and a long line.

I was doing some reading and we can vote the supreme court judges out of office when they come up for retention election. I am not sure about the court of appeals. But I think that they are directly affected based on the supreme court if I understand it right.

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #46 on: December 17, 2013, 11:29:44 AM »
Don't send it out, allow more members to weigh in.

I'm a grammar guru. The posts on Facebook occasionally elevate my blood pressure.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 11:32:18 AM by gsd »
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline UPCrawfish

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #47 on: December 17, 2013, 12:49:43 PM »
any other NFA listed weapon

Consider changing the word "weapon" to "device" or "firearm".    The word 'device' or 'firearm' is used elsewhere in the text as well as in the section you have quoted.   

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #48 on: December 17, 2013, 03:00:56 PM »
Consider changing the word "weapon" to "device" or "firearm".    The word 'device' or 'firearm' is used elsewhere in the text as well as in the section you have quoted.   

I changed it to firearm. Device kind of makes me think of IED.

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #49 on: December 19, 2013, 08:58:23 AM »
Anyone else have any commits?

I was thinking about sending them out after the first of the year. Let everyone get fat and happy over the holidays!

Offline CitizenClark

• NFOA Full Member
  • Live free or die!
    • Silencer News
« Reply #50 on: December 19, 2013, 09:50:51 AM »
Here is a revised version with my edits:

Dear PUBLICOFFICIALNAME:

I am doing some research on behalf of myself and other Nebraska firearm owners, especially those in the city of Lincoln and elsewhere in Lancaster County. I am compiling a list of approved law enforcement officials who can provide a signature to complete the "Chief Law Enforcement Official" (CLEO) certification requirement necessary to submit a National Firearms Act (NFA) application to make or register an item regulated by the NFA. These applications are required under the 1934 federal law and related regulations for the making of NFA items by people who are not licensed manufacturers, as well as for the transfer of such items to or from non-licensees. The majority of applications to make or transfer NFA items are related to transactions involving firearms silencers, hearing safety devices which diminish the audible report of a firearm and make it more safe for the user, for observers, and for others who may be within earshot.

If you are not familiar with the NFA process you might wonder what your certification is meant to certify. The relevant federal regulation provides that these applications must include a certification by a CLEO that the official has “no information indicating that the transferee will use the firearm or device described on this application for other than lawful purposes," and "no information that the receipt or possession of the firearm or device... would place the transferee in violation of State or local law."

Please understand that these transactions requiring a CLEO certification are subject to an extensive and rigorous application process which includes fingerprint-based background checks, submission of photographs of the applicant, and other information about both the applicant and the item that is the subject of the application.

Below are three choices from which to select your response and a line for your signature. Can you please select the box indicating your position on whether or not you are willing to provide this certification when appropriate per the standard set out in the language described above? I have also included a self-addressed, stamped return envelope for your convenience.

______ Yes, I will sign NFA applications.
______ No, I will not sign NFA applications.
______ Undecided

________________________________ Signature

If you would like more information on this matter please feel free to contact me, and I will do my best to supply you with any information that you might need. Thank you for your time and attention to this matter, and thank you in advance for working to protect the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding citizens in your jurisdiction.

Best regards,

SENDER NAME
SENDER ADDRESS
SENDER PHONE NUMBER
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 04:10:52 PM by CitizenClark »

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #51 on: December 19, 2013, 10:11:10 AM »
Here is a revised version with my edits:

The only thing I might see in this revision is changing silencers to suppressors, just following the change that the movement has been trying to do to the language.  Obviously they do not silence the firearm they only suppress or reduce the sound.

Offline CitizenClark

• NFOA Full Member
  • Live free or die!
    • Silencer News
« Reply #52 on: December 19, 2013, 10:20:01 AM »
The only thing I might see in this revision is changing silencers to suppressors, just following the change that the movement has been trying to do to the language.  Obviously they do not silence the firearm they only suppress or reduce the sound.

The legal terms of art used both in the National Firearms Act and in the federal regulations are "firearm silencer" and "firearm muffler."

The word "suppressor" introduces an ambiguity, since firearms often employ flash suppressors. I think the word "silencer" is more correct from a legal point of view, and it is less likely to lead to confusion for the reader.

See http://www.atf.gov/firearms/guides/importation-verification/firearms-verification-nfa-silencer.html
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 10:23:27 AM by CitizenClark »

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #53 on: December 19, 2013, 10:51:28 AM »
Thank you very much Citizen! You took my ramble of a letter and turned it into very nicely wrote letter.

A question for you.... Do you know what judges can sign? Or do you know if I can send the list to the ATF for there verification?

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #54 on: December 19, 2013, 03:41:29 PM »
Thanks for working on this, guys.

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #55 on: December 20, 2013, 06:52:25 PM »
Just a thought here.....

The Attorney General (Jon Bruning) is the CHIEF LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER of the state of Nebraska. Mr. Bruning has been very friendly to firearms owners.

With his current health issue and the holidays... now is probably not the time to contact him.... But maybe sometime after the first of the year?

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #56 on: February 28, 2014, 12:27:31 AM »
...... I chose not to become the center of attention by signing such paperwork. I do not know you. I have no idea as to how you plan to use these, store them, secure them, etc. For all I know you may not even believe that if a suppressor was used on a weapon in an active shooter incident you may not see anything wrong with this.

The Old Boy Network Strikes Again ........  "I do not know you. " ...Betchta he'd sign off on his buddy's kid's (thug) boyfriend, though- he "knows" him.....  "Equality Before The Law" is writ in stone on the side of the Capitol building ..... down here on Earth?  Not so much.....
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #57 on: February 28, 2014, 07:07:26 AM »
Just a thought here.....

The Attorney General (Jon Bruning) is the CHIEF LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER of the state of Nebraska. Mr. Bruning has been very friendly to firearms owners.

With his current health issue and the holidays... now is probably not the time to contact him.... But maybe sometime after the first of the year?

I think we need to pursue this.

Offline RLMoeller

• Sponsor- NFOA Firearm Raffle at the 2009 Big Buck Classic. 2010 Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #58 on: February 28, 2014, 07:27:47 AM »
I think we need to pursue this.

I agree we need to move forward with this.   We can discuss how to proceed next week in the board meeting.

Offline landon410

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #59 on: February 28, 2014, 08:22:26 AM »
I'm no english composition teacher, but more safe / safer.....

then maybe at the end say PS, its for our children
ok that part was a joke