< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: License for Carbine rifle?  (Read 1108 times)

Offline Trenatos

• Forum Member
License for Carbine rifle?
« on: November 20, 2013, 12:35:58 PM »
Hi everyone!

I'm new to the forums, so I apologize if I'm posting in the wrong section.

I got my nebraska permit to purchase a while back, and while looking around I came across a weapon I'd like to get, a carbine, but I can't find anything about licensing, so I figured I should ask here.

Could someone tell me what kind of licensing is needed to own a carbine in Nebraska (Cass County)?

(This is the weapon I'm looking at: http://www.taurususa.com/product-details.cfm?id=889&category=Rifle)

Offline whatsit

• Powder Benefactor
Re: License for Carbine rifle?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 12:50:04 PM »
Welcome!

As long as you are not a prohibited person (read: criminal with a criminal record), you may legally purchase and own a rifle. No license is necessary.

To purchase a handgun, you will need the purchase permit. It's a piece of paper that says you passed a background check and are not a prohibited person.

I'm sure someone is going to have a correction to this, but I think that's the basic idea.

Again, welcome to the NFOA!

Offline David Hineline

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 12:58:55 PM »
You have the NE purchase permit and a NE state issued ID, nothing else is needed to buy a riifle, shotgun, handgun in NE.

For that kind of money I would recommend the Just Right Carbine in glock 9mm configuration. Or spend more money and get an AR platform in 9mm.  The Taurus is a new product with an unknown track record and only has 10rnd mags available and those are not readily available.

The Taurus guns are in stock at multiple distributors which usually during these times of high demand for firearms means they are not selling well.

A rifle that takes Glock, M16, or UZI magazines is going to have plentiful spare magazines in full capacity available.
Machinegun owners blow thier load with one pull of the trigger

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 01:04:54 PM »
Well Trenatos looks like you need to find someone to order a rifle in for you, you have the background check covered with your purchase permit (required for handguns, optional but handy for purchasing long guns) so other than filling out the 4473 (read carefully and slow down, people go to fast and make mistakes, read the entire question before answering) when it comes in and paying for it you are all set.  No further licensing or registration required.

Offline Trenatos

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, 03:06:35 PM »
Thanks for the replies everyone!

This is great information, but what is the 4473?

Offline whatsit

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2013, 03:10:32 PM »
This is great information, but what is the 4473?

It's the form from the government (Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives [BATFE]) you have to fill out. It's basically a sworn statement that you are not a prohibited person. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it is also used during the background check process (assuming you don't have your handgun purchase permit).

Offline RLMoeller

• Sponsor- NFOA Firearm Raffle at the 2009 Big Buck Classic. 2010 Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2013, 03:36:24 PM »
Yes, that is the form the dealer has you fill out.  And yes, the dealer documents the background check on that form. 

Offline Trenatos

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2013, 08:38:45 PM »
Oh ok, gotcha.

Well, this seems nice and easy to be honest, was expecting there to be a bunch of hoops and bureaucracy, thanks everyone for the info  :)