General Categories > Help!

Flying with a firearm

(1/5) > >>

MissMichella:
Does anyone have any tips, suggestions, or insight into flying with a firearm?  I know it has to be locked in a checked piece of luggage, but I'm a little nervous about whether or not it will get stolen.  How long does it typically take to go through the process to check a firearm?  How about ammo?
Thanks for any expert information, everyone!

00BUCK:
Go to Cabelas or Scheels and buy one of the TSA approved locking pistol cases. I've never had a problem traveling with mine.
You have to claim the weapon upon checkin and put a tag inside your lock box and luggage. Also use a TSA approved lock on the luggage you put the lock box in. When you get where you are going check you luggage immediately when you grab it off the carrousel to make sure your gun is still there. Ammo must be in the original container and can be stored in the same piece of luggage, just not in the lockbox or in the magazines. Last time it took about 5 minutes longer than had I not had my handgun. They are fairly used to doing this now - it's much better than it was 5 years ago when I first started takin one with me.

OnTheFly:
The airlines have restrictions on the amount of ammo that can be carried.  Last I checked it was something like 11 pounds.  Check the individual airlines website for their restrictions as well as TSA.gov

I've done it a few times going to training in Dallas.  Don't expect any consistency from the airlines or TSA in what they tell you.  It wouldn't be a bad idea to have a paper copy of the airline's AND TSA's rules in case they tell you something that is WAY wrong. 

On one trip to Dallas, my suitcase traveled with me in the belly of the plane to Denver, but from there we parted ways.  The suitcase went to spend the night in California while I took a hard left and went to Dallas.  That was a long 14 hours while I waited for my suitcase to show up.  Everything was there though.

Unrelated to traveling with a gun, take an overnight bag as a carry on with the basics like a toothbrush and underoos.

Fly

Lmbass14:
On The Fly beat me to everything that I was going to say, so this post doesn't exist. 

Have a save trip MissMichella.  Let us know about your encounters.

Chris Z:
I fly often with handguns........ I use a simple inexpensive hard plastic pistol case like this:

http://www.mygunaccessories.com/guncases/doskocil/handguncases.htm

I use TWO TSA padlocks (one for both lock holes on each side of the case)..... ALSO put a TSA padlock on your suitcase.

Ammo must be secured. TSA prefers it to be in the original package. I personally put fully loaded magazines IN magazine pouches inside the same case as the gun.

You are limited to 11# of ammunition total amongst your luggage.

When you go to check your suitcase, just simply tell the clerk that you need to "Declare a firearm". They will have you fill out small tag with your personal contact and flight info, and you will sign it that you understand the rules. The counter attendant will ask that you open the suitcase and often even the gun case, they will put the tag inside, then you secure all the locks and go on your happy way. You do not want anything on the outside of your suitcase indicating there is a gun inside.

Be sure of the laws where you are traveling to, and be aware of any possible hangups on layovers..... (ie. getting stuck in Chicago, etc....) Do not fly into New York, New Jersey, California or DC with a handgun.

Whatever you do, make sure EVERYTHING is in your "checked bag" absolutely no magazines, shell casings, gun parts, etc..... in you carry on luggage.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version