< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Handgun Slide & Barrel Polishing  (Read 785 times)

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
Handgun Slide & Barrel Polishing
« on: December 28, 2013, 12:33:43 AM »
Years ago, I was a pawnbroker, and as a jeweler, we were always polishing something.

I had put my polishing tools away long ago, but today, I got something out of storage.

This was a barrel that showed typical bluing marks as the slide worked back and forth around it over the years.  It had the tell-tale Glock smile as seen in the one still in the gun. 

A hour later, and a few changes of polishing compounds, I managed to achieve a pretty nice mirror  finish.

Being a Glock, the blue finish, what Glock calls "anti-reflective finish", covered up a rust prevention metal treatment called TENIFER.  Tenifer keeps metal from rusting, and also makes the surface of the metal harder. 

The anti-reflective finish is gone, but what is left, polished Tenifer (goes deep into the metal, cannot be polished out) looks like it belongs in a car parade somewhere, attached to a chrome bumper. 

To further protect the finish, I washed and polished the barrel in Teflon.    You cannot see it, but it is a dry lube, that will keep anything from sticking to the metal, or even touching the metal.  Water, salt, dirt, gun powder, led, should all just flake off. 

I will do the Glock slide next.   Will post pics of the finished pair.

Offline lneuke

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Handgun Slide & Barrel Polishing
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 01:07:01 AM »
How deep is the new non salt bath Glock finish?  I'm sure the original salt bath Tenifer process is sufficiently deep to avoid any negative effects of polishing (probably in the .01-.015" depth range) , but I don't know the specs of the new process...

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
Re: Handgun Slide & Barrel Polishing
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2013, 03:14:32 AM »
The hardness rating went up to Rockwell 70.  Not sure how deep.  I don't think that changed, from what I have read. 

All my Glocks are the old tried and true process.