< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Great (and cheap) scope accessory  (Read 693 times)

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
Great (and cheap) scope accessory
« on: December 30, 2013, 08:35:19 PM »
This has been posted several places around the web but it's such a good deal I figured I would post it here too. 

A lot of variable power scopes have pretty stiff adjustments, and even the ones that don't can be hard to get hold of when you need to adjust the magnification.  Most of the time it's not a big deal, but for in multigun shooting it can be a problem.  Most people in Tactical Optics class run a 1-4 scope and leave it on 1 power for close shots, but need to adjust it up to 4x for longer ones.  You can buy accessories called Cat Tails, which are a lever that clamps around your adjustment ring.  This gives you more leverage and makes it easier & quicker to adjust magnification.  These can be pretty pricey, and they're usually meant for a specific model of scope.

There is an option that is very cheap and works with any scope, though.  An item called a Breakaway Coaster serves the same purpose at a fraction of the price.  It's basically a zip tie on steroids, and instead of being permanently attached it's tightened down using a plastic nut.  They were originally meant for holding fishing reels to a rod, but they work great as a poor man's Cat Tail.  They work for any scope, and the best part is that they're cheap.  You can pick two of them up from Amazon for just a little over $20 after shipping:

http://www.amazon.com/Breakaway-Nylon-Coasters/dp/B009SPDU3C

I put one on my Burris Tac 30 tonight and it made a huge difference.  There is now plenty of leverage and it's easy to grab.  I would highly recommend this to anyone shooting multigun matches, or anyone who wants to make adjusting scope magnification quicker and easier.

Bad photo, my iPotato was not cooperating.

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
Re: Great (and cheap) scope accessory
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 08:38:19 PM »
Interesting.  Looks like a shooter could adjust it to be close enough to move without breaking target acquisition.
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.