< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: I haven't posted this one yet, have I? Tactical vs Competition! (Again!)  (Read 842 times)

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
We all know that doing that shooting competitions will get you killed on the street.  And that Real Tactical Dudes don't do that competition sort of thing.

Ahem. 

Or maybe...

http://www.gunnuts.net/2013/04/11/tactical-vs-competition-theres-no-controversy/

Be sure to click on the Kyle Defoor link at the bottom, when Defoor talks about the people he learned the most from in his Homage series. 

(In case you don't see it for some reason, here's the link:  http://www.kyledefoor.com/2010/11/homage-part-2-of-6.html  )
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
Re: I haven't posted this one yet, have I? Tactical vs Competition! (Again!)
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2013, 04:18:35 PM »
To me this topic hangs on the precipice of wasted discussions.  Someday I would like a definition of who is a RTD (Real Tactical Dude).  Furthermore, I would like to know what defines an "expert" opinion of who should and should not shoot competitions .... along with the data to back up said opinions.   One thing that troubles me most these days is the tidal wave of self proclaimed "experts" out there....be they former LEOs, military, NGOs, etc.  Most troubling for me are the former Spec Warfare, Spec Ops, Delta out making a buck on there name and "expertise".  Back in my Navy days (of only 15 years ago), I knew a number of Spec Warfare (those are SEALs for those of you in Rio Linda) guys.  It was GREATLY frowned up in that community to make the proverbial name for oneself.  In fact, guys like Richard Marchenko were mocked for bringing attention to themselves or what they did in the service.  NEVER would you know one of them to write a book about their exploits.  Now to be clear and naming names...I am NOT referring to guys like Kyle Lamb or Larry Vickers.   IMHO they tend to fly under radar (as they should).  I still put more credibility in Ayoob, Clint Smith, Suarez and most of the GUNSITE guys.  Guess what...they encourage competition.  Thanks Thomas for letting me take your thread on a bunny trail.  Now please continue.

And being uneducated... who is Ken Murray and what are his creds other than looking like a surfer dude?  And one last thing..... Aldo, CZ and I shot in a match in Tulsa with Pincus....so he shoots in them himself......
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 04:49:42 PM by bullit »

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
Re: I haven't posted this one yet, have I? Tactical vs Competition! (Again!)
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 04:35:38 PM »
I find that I train more when I'm anticipating shooting in a match FWIW.  Competition lets me know it a big hurry where my deficiencies are.   I know what IS possible and what IS achievable.  At least for others. 
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller