< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Elysium  (Read 1411 times)

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
Elysium
« on: January 12, 2014, 08:13:06 PM »
I really wish I would have done some research on the movie Elysium before I actually gave money to the people who produced that fodder. 

I'm not saying the acting, special effects, etc are not good, but it was the political message that I detest. 

The movie was pure and simple a political statement.  The people involved with this film want the viewer to walk out with the subliminal concept that the evil rich people want to keep health care all to themselves. So if you aren't for Obamacare, you are a bad, selfish, and evil person. I say "subliminal" because analyzing the message in a film seems to be above most people's cerebral capacity these days.

So don't watch this movie unless you want 1.5+ hours of schooling on universal health care.

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline AWick

• Steel Benefactor
  • Home is where your armory is.
Re: Elysium
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 08:32:03 PM »
I just read some reviews of this non line and some of them are hilarious on how they convey how awful this movie is! It looked interesting at first but knowing the back story I will now urge all my friends to stay away from this one. Thanks for the heads up!
"Well-regulated" meant well equipped, trained and disciplined... not controlled with an iron fist.

Offline Thanke

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 08:39:33 PM »
haha, I thought about the politics through out the film as well, but it didn't bother me to bad. I figure going to the extreme either right or left isn't going to be a good thing.  With the way the health care program is getting off the ground, they are going to need a lot more persuasion than a mediocre movie to sway opinions. I did have expect there to be a service announcement at the very end when the miracle cure scanners were landing on earth. A big ole "Obama Care to the Rescue"  text to fly in.

I redboxed it and felt it was worth the buck, but glad I didn't go to the big house to see it.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 12:14:56 AM »
I figure going to the extreme either right or left isn't going to be a good thing.

I have much less faith in the general public.  I think that many people are not critical enough of Hollywood and the tripe they put out.  In the same way I believe too many people rely on their favorite celebrity to tell them how to vote.

Fly

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 08:38:56 AM »
It's a Matt Damon movie, right?  He's an extreme leftist.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 10:09:42 AM »

Yes...I should have known better.

Fly

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 05:18:03 PM »
But HEY! He came and toured the UNL campus with his nephew.........
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline AWick

• Steel Benefactor
  • Home is where your armory is.
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 08:31:34 PM »

I hate his politics, but dang do I love the Bourne series! Just like some of the folks are talking about Marky Mark in Lone Survivor. Jim Carey is another one. I love some of his movies, but I'd rather just punch him in the face to shut his trap!
"Well-regulated" meant well equipped, trained and disciplined... not controlled with an iron fist.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2014, 11:03:59 PM »
I hate his politics, but dang do I love the Bourne series!

This may just be me and my "glass half empty" attitude, but the Bourne series is just an anti-military, anti-covert ops, anti-conservative politician driving such things.  Ironically, these are the same people that want the government to always step in and save us all from the crisis of the moment.  Also, these are the same people who think that it was ok for the US government to conduct military operations in a foreign country that we do not have permission to operate in so that we can eliminate the poster boy of Al Qaeda.

A lot of contradictions in beliefs.

Fly