< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Want to know where all the .22 is?  (Read 3096 times)

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
Want to know where all the .22 is?
« on: December 23, 2013, 08:14:04 AM »
Being snapped up by duffers who spend all morning at Wal-Mart and then do this. :angry: :angry: :angry:

Thats $0.25/round! I understand capitalism and all, but this is getting ridiculous...

Who else has seen clowns pulling this crap?
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline UPCrawfish

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Want to know where all the .22 is?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2013, 08:21:34 AM »
I've been following that thread on another site, as you have, and it's getting interesting over there!! :o

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2013, 08:34:22 AM »
If people didn't buy it these guys wouldn't be selling it.  Sometimes we are our own worst enemies.

Offline greg58

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2013, 08:34:47 AM »
I bought 150 rds of blazer 22lr for $7.94 out the door at Wallyworld today.
Persistance pays, or buy it online from Cabelas.

Greg58
Pants Up!  Don't Loot!

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2013, 08:47:20 AM »
Got the same deal, greg58,  I'ma figurin' we can git $20 per fiddy, easy, on the "open" market.

(A gal at work is going into Financial Planning and was talking to folks about investments.  I said- I don't need 'vestments. Got my money in precious metals"  and showed a picture of my ammo cabinet(that I just happened to have). Informed her that "the .22 shelf alone, was worth a couple grand on the open market." That's at least a 300% return on the principle investment.  Why don't you sell it then?  "'cause! when them Zombies come......"

Some people will just never understand.
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline gsd

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2013, 08:54:19 AM »
If people didn't buy it these guys wouldn't be selling it.  Sometimes we are our own worst enemies.

Indeed. I have about 200 rounds for test fires when I am working on one, but my dad would like some more for his Henry and Marlin. I keep trying, but never find any. And I damn sure won't pay that fellers asking price.

Offline CitizenClark

• NFOA Full Member
  • Live free or die!
    • Silencer News
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2013, 10:28:10 AM »
I will never undestand why people do all the running around trying to find ammo when they can just order online any time.

Step 1: Go to gunbot.net

Step 2: Select your ammo type

Step 3: Click the box for "show in stock only"

Step 4: Sort by "price per round"

Step 5: Click on the product closest to the top of the list that meets your specifications

Step 6: Order your ammo from the third party seller

I've been able to get ammo consistently using gunbot since the CT tragedy last year.  Stop wasting gas and your time and just buy what you want. Unless you wait until the last minute and can't wait on shipping, I really don't see why anyone bothers with scouring local stores for ammo. I'm not saying "don't buy ammo from mom and pop," of course, but I am saying that all this running around and waiting is a waste of time and effort.

Offline gsd

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2013, 10:34:50 AM »
So i just looked again, everyone that called that guy out on his prices got banned from the page.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2013, 10:47:30 AM »
I will never undestand why people do all the running around trying to find ammo when they can just order online any time.

Step 1: Go to gunbot.net

Step 2: Select your ammo type

Step 3: Click the box for "show in stock only"

Step 4: Sort by "price per round"

Step 5: Click on the product closest to the top of the list that meets your specifications

Step 6: Order your ammo from the third party seller

I've been able to get ammo consistently using gunbot since the CT tragedy last year.  Stop wasting gas and your time and just buy what you want. Unless you wait until the last minute and can't wait on shipping, I really don't see why anyone bothers with scouring local stores for ammo. I'm not saying "don't buy ammo from mom and pop," of course, but I am saying that all this running around and waiting is a waste of time and effort.

I think a lot of people are intimidated by the thought of ordering ammo online.  They think it's a big hassle and don't understand how easy it is to email a copy of your driver's license and start buying.

Offline gsd

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2013, 10:49:50 AM »
I didn't even do that when I got my .380 from Cabelas online. Just clicked "add to cart" paid, and had it a week later.

Offline altheman2

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2013, 11:09:51 AM »
i pretty much gave up on 22 for the past year. You start talking about 25-35 cents a round, i drag out the AR and good old mosin 223 is pretty much everywhere i have been and commie 762x54r is still pretty cheap and plentiful.

Offline UPCrawfish

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2013, 01:55:07 PM »
Just checked that thread again....   It's over 160 posts and they are getting wild !!!

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2013, 02:04:51 PM »
Wish I knew what forum y'all were talking about . :)

At any rate, the online purchases are indeed the way to go.  I bought that Winchester M22 stuff for less than $50 for 1000 rounds, with free ship-to-store from Cabela'a. 
"Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder." ~ FCK

Offline greg58

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2013, 04:46:52 PM »
I agree with Citzen Clark that driving around in search of ammo can be futile and wasteful.
However I work nights half the year, and stop in after I get off work. The timing is perfect as usually the clerk is putting ammo into the shelves when I arrive.
Plus I drive right by Wallyworld on my way home. I have never sold ammo for a profit, just keep myself and my sons stocked up.

Greg58

Pants Up!  Don't Loot!

Offline barmandr

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2013, 04:52:24 PM »
So i just looked again, everyone that called that guy out on his prices got banned from the page.
What site/page was this on?

Offline UPCrawfish

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2013, 05:27:27 PM »
A FaceBook site...  Nebraska Firearms Buy / Sell / Trade...   A closed group you have to request access...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1234567890.NEBRASKA/?ref=br_tf

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2013, 05:47:47 PM »
Frankly, the Facebook firearms trading groups tend to be full of derp.

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2013, 09:04:05 PM »
I agree with Citzen Clark that driving around in search of ammo can be futile and wasteful.
However I work nights half the year, and stop in after I get off work. The timing is perfect as usually the clerk is putting ammo into the shelves when I arrive.
Plus I drive right by Wallyworld on my way home. I have never sold ammo for a profit, just keep myself and my sons stocked up.

Greg58

SHHHH Don't give away all our secrets!
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline AWick

• Steel Benefactor
  • Home is where your armory is.
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2013, 10:19:19 PM »
One of my coworkers happened to show up to Wallyworld up by Irvington just as they were putting 22lr's on the shelf. He was second in line and the three guys behind him were all Wallyworld employees that took their breaks at the exact time the shelves were getting "stocked"... feeling peved since he had been unable to secure 22lr's for quite a while he started BSing with them to see what gun they shoot the ammo with and none of them could even name a correct 22lr gun!

Now that made our blood boil as they are buying up the stock before ANYONE can even come close and then reselling it for pure profit. I understand and love capitalism but when you are an employee of a retailer and using your position for illicit gains that's like insider trading... and keeps me from stocking up because I refuse to pay $0.25/round for 22lr!
"Well-regulated" meant well equipped, trained and disciplined... not controlled with an iron fist.

Offline skydve76

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2013, 11:08:36 PM »
Just went to gunbot.  .12 per round is absolutely crazy.  I can reload 9mm for .13 per round at today's prices without even getting any deals or bulk buys.

Before Obama:  I could buy 525 for $10
Before CT:  I could buy 525 for $20

I have several boxes for the remmington 525 packs with 9.99 price tags on them. 

This makes no sense.  The point of .22LR is to have very cheap plinking.  That point is lost and it now rivals real guns in terms of cost.

I was in cabelas not so long ago and picked up a box of 300 win mag.  I told my wife "this price is pretty good considering we get new brass". A couple older gents then came over, and one said to the other "oh that isnt a bad price".  They both picked up the rest of the stock.

Now I have to figure out which estate sale to go to.

Obama sucks but gun owners do this to themselves.