< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: CHP Training Prices  (Read 5984 times)

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
CHP Training Prices
« on: December 24, 2013, 12:58:30 AM »
I want to dialogue about something we have all been thinking about, but does not seem to get much banter in public forums.

Prices for CHP and other handgun and long gun safety training classes.

I offer a program I think is pretty good.  Classroom, and range time is about 10 hours.  Sometimes longer.

I have a business relationship in Nebraska that goes back 30 years, hold a A+ rating at the BBB and my insurance companies.

As I look around the established leaders in Concealed Carry trainers in our state, I see a consistent pricing of around $125, sometimes a little more. 

$125 is what I charge, though I do knock off 10% if you do it with a friend or spouse. 

My training is mostly NRA.  Basic pistol instructor.  Personal protection inside the home instructor.  Personal protection outside the home instructor.  Refuse to be a victim instructor.  Range safety officer instructor.  Chief range safety officer. 

I am also a Glock certified armorer.   I retired my FFL class 2 in 2000

Getting back into the gun business this year, has given me a pretty full plate, as far as my personal studies are concerned, but my dedicated NRA classroom, that I lease in a shopping strip mall, is not real busy, because of the few instructors that have decided to offer cut rate prices for their CHP classes.     $80, $75, and who knows how low it can go?  Is $39.95 going to be the next post we read here on our forums?

I do not want to play the cut rate game, offering lower and lower prices, to under cut established well defined, good programs, by experienced instructors.

Other instructors here, chime in with me, in stating your feelings about quality programs offered for CHP in our state. 

I do not want to see cut rate prices harm our industry, or harm the excellent work the established instructors have done for our Great State Of Nebraska. 

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
Re: CHP Training Prices
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2013, 07:23:55 AM »
#1  The only cut rate pricing (using $100-125 as the standard) has been by one instructor new to this Nebraska gig who will remain nameless. #2 Only you can decide what your time is worth (talked to a lawyer lately? ). #3 Keep in mind there are less than 2 million residents in the entire state thus small market. #4 You're 7 years late to the instructor game here yourself (unfortunately this is not "build it and they will come" #5 One gets what they pay for i. e. Caveat emptor. #6 I teach more for enjoyment than money. Best wishes for success.

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2013, 07:50:13 AM »
#1  The only cut rate pricing (using $100-125 as the standard) has been by one instructor new to this Nebraska gig who will remain nameless. #2 Only you can decide what your time is worth (talked to a lawyer lately? ). #3 Keep in mind there are less than 2 million residents in the entire state thus small market. #4 You're 7 years late to the instructor game here yourself (unfortunately this is not "build it and they will come" #5 One gets what they pay for i. e. Caveat emptor. #6 I teach more for enjoyment than money. Best wishes for success.

This. And if I may add, the classes I have taken are worth the money I paid, i.e., you get what you pay for. I myself would be extremely cautious of any CHP class costing less than $100.
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline ghknives

• Gun Show Volunteer NRA Life member
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2013, 08:48:36 AM »
Like bullit, I do it for the enjoyment. There is little profit in this. With the cost of advertising, printing, handouts and insurance there is no way to do a cut rate without cutting quality. Quality in this case can effect the rest of some ones life, finances and maybe even result in prison time
I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I only love that which they defend.        J.R.R. Tolkein

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2013, 09:52:09 AM »
It's a Free Market.

And a relatively Narrow One, at that.

Charge what you wish; see who shows up.

You will build (or have already built) a Reputation.   You will or will not have Followers, based on that reputation.

You cannot control the prices or quality of Other Instructors.   Only your own.

My own approach in teaching CHP (or any other firearms discipline) is that:
>It's Fun
>You meet nice people (Other Shooters)
>You often learn more than you teach
>It contributes to the Shooting Sports
>The World is a Safer Place when the class is over
>Liberty and Freedom are enhanced, and
>There are Much Better, Easier Ways to Make a Buck Without Taking On the Very Real Risk of Getting Shot

That's About It..........

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2013, 11:33:47 AM »
Got Windy, Forgot to Address the Issue of CHP Course Prices.......

Here are some with which I have immediate knowledge:

$179   National Safety Council - Nebraska  (Classes usually fill up.)
$149   Paragon Firearms Training  (My partners:  Includes rolls in AM, coffee all day, pizza lunch, Paragon Firearms T-shirt)
$125   My own class when not taught w/partners  (Just the course; no frills.   Discount given for spouse.   Can't remember how much.  $25???)
$101   Nebraska101 in Gretna, NE  (I refer folks here if I have no classes scheduled.)
  $75   Papillion Gun Club   (Special discount rates only for PG Club Members.   Course is taught pro bono by me, two courses/year only.   Lunch included.  All proceeds go to PGC.)

So that's quite a range of prices, depending on the (a) instructor and (b) circumstances under which the course is offered. 

They all are approved by the Nebraska State Patrol, which is the Main Thing.

sfg
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 11:41:56 AM by SemperFiGuy »
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2013, 03:14:59 PM »
There has been one in Nebraska that has lost their credentials for similar actions

Offline greg58

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2013, 03:16:39 PM »
This is what Nebraska does not need. 

You are so right Gary, one bad instructor can taint the whole system, and the haters are just looking for a story like this.
Just as they are waiting for some "fool" with a CHP to shoot up some place in a drunken stupor.

Greg58
Pants Up!  Don't Loot!

Offline 00BUCK

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2013, 04:15:00 PM »
I do not want to see cut rate prices harm our industry, or harm the excellent work the established instructors have done for our Great State Of Nebraska. 
I'd be very careful with statements like this. Though I cannot disagree with you, under business guidelines this could be interpreted as an attempt at price fixing. If you profit from your classes in any way, and someone gets bent out of shape over this you could be taken to task by the government. I think the probability of that is low, but how many senseless things have you seen the government do lately?

Offline patrickdm

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2013, 10:49:13 PM »
I'd be very careful with statements like this. Though I cannot disagree with you, under business guidelines this could be interpreted as an attempt at price fixing. If you profit from your classes in any way, and someone gets bent out of shape over this you could be taken to task by the government. I think the probability of that is low, but how many senseless things have you seen the government do lately?

I find the request to maintain certain prices slightly offensive. Let the market decide like it should.

Offline gsd

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2013, 09:48:35 AM »
I find the request to maintain certain prices slightly offensive. Let the market decide like it should.

I am confused. 00Buck was not asking to maintain prices as they are, in fact, he was warning against it. Unless you are referring to the post that Gary made about the "cut rate prices".
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 09:51:05 AM by gsd »

Offline patrickdm

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2013, 12:30:18 PM »
My apologies for the confusion gsd. I was referring to the original post by gary.

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2013, 07:53:21 PM »
I honestly don't care what other people charge for their classes. I have been doing this since the very beginning, and have seen it all across the board. I've seen Instructors come and go. Some good ones, some bad ones, and some who jumped in thinking they were going to get rich or make a living doing this but quickly learned otherwise.

There was once an Instructor who offered classes for $35.... (He did a 2 day class) He ran around bad mouthing other Instructors saying that we were gouging people......  He didn't last very long, and unfortunately I ended up taking many of his former students through my class, because they felt like they did not get a quality class and did not learn anything in his TWO DAY class. This Instructor didn't even last the first year....... He quit teaching classes quickly when he realized it was way more work than he ever expected.

If you find a class that covers all the state required material, and you learn from the class...... EXCELLENT! Tell your friends and everyone else about it and recommend that Instructor.

Just because you pay $77 or $179 doesn't mean it is going to be a good class or a bad class.

I teach classes because I am passionate about the subject and I absolutely love teaching. Yes I get paid to do it, I don't do it for free. I have invested a lot of my time and a lot of money to make sure I know what I'm doing and that I am giving a top notch class..... I don't offer any discounts. I know what my costs are, I know what sort of time commitment is in putting together, preparing for and teaching the class, as well as the work that continues after the class (paperwork, frequent contacts/questions by past students), and I know what my time is worth.

If a prospective ccw student contacts me asking for a 3 hour discounted class because they already know everything..... I politely will direct them elsewhere because that is not what I do.

NSP sends undercover Officers into all CHP classes often..... They don't show up and announce that they are there to audit you! They register and pay, and sit through the class just like everyone else. And they see the true picture as to whether an Instructor is doing what is required. Or cutting corners.

I have a friend who witnessed first hand NSP coming in to audit another Instructors range portion, and the Officer ended up flipping out because of the gross safety violations that were happening on the range, and the fact the Instructor was NOT doing the prescribed qualification...... The Officer pulled the Instructor aside, Identified himself, and threatened to fail the 15 students right there on the spot......... That was a real "come to Jesus" moment for that Instructor, and I'm guessing he is following the rules to the T now IF he is still teaching.

I've heard some reports of some of those undercover visits to some classes...... And all I can do is shake my head at what they experienced. 

Bottom line is this......... Give a GREAT CLASS and people will come. Charge what you have to, to do it right.

Offline gsd

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2013, 08:13:48 PM »
^^^what he said.

Offline Greybeard

• Bronze Benefactor
  • Live Free or Die!!
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2013, 08:21:01 PM »
And that is why, when I talk to people about the combined NE and Utah classes, I specifically recommend Chris Zeeb. I went through Chris' Utah portion, I already had my NE permit. I am an NRA pistol instructor, and have been for a number of years. I was an Air Force Training Manager and First Sergeant for over 20 years and know and understand what proper preparation and instruction is. You have to be passionate about what you do when you are an instructor, to be effective. Students sense it. Nothing turnes me off more that an instructor that doesn't know his material or hasn't prepared for his/her class. I'm glad that the NSP secretly audits classes, it's good for all of us!!
WØCHF

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2013, 09:56:17 PM »
Once again, the Glock Guy is right. 

And I believe a good instructor will tell you that the CCW class is NOT enough.  Getting training above and beyond what the state mandates is essential IMHO. 

A good start is Chris Z's Legal Aspects of Lethal Force class. 

And there is very good training to be had at PRT. 

Yes, they're Glock guys, but they still know what they're doing.  :)
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline Thanke

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2013, 10:24:22 PM »
Once again, the Glock Guy is right. 

And I believe a good instructor will tell you that the CCW class is NOT enough.  Getting training above and beyond what the state mandates is essential IMHO. 

A good start is Chris Z's Legal Aspects of Lethal Force class. 

And there is very good training to be had at PRT. 

Yes, they're Glock guys, but they still know what they're doing.  :)

I can't say enough good things about Legal Aspects of Lethal Force.......and its coming up again:

Saturday January 25th 8:30am-1pm in Gretna

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2013, 12:23:57 AM »

I am not looking for price fixing, I am hoping for trainers of quality, first. 

If a trainer would read, and follow these teaching ethics, we would have a higher quality program in Nebraska. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

NRA TRAINER’S ETHICS GUIDE
Table of Contents
INTRODUCTION
GENERAL PRINCIPLES
COMPETENCE
INTEGRITY
PROFESSIONAL RESPONSIBILITY
RESPECT OF PARTICIPANTS' RIGHTS AND DIGNITY
CONCERN FOR OTHERS' WELFARE
RESPONSIBILITY TO THE COMMUNITY
ETHICAL STANDARDS
A. GENERAL STANDARDS
1. APPLICABILITY OF ETHICS GUIDE
2. BOUNDARIES OF COMPETENCE
3. MAINTAINING EXPERTISE
4. BASIS FOR PROFESSIONAL JUDGMENTS
5. DESCRIBING THE NATURE OF INSTRUCTING OR COACHING JUDGMENTS
6. RESPECTING OTHERS
7. DISCRIMINATION
8. SEXUAL HARASSMENT
9. AVOIDING HARM
10. MISUSE OF INFLUENCE
11. MULTIPLE RELATIONSHIPS
12. EXPLOITATIVE RELATIONSHIPS
13. DELEGATIONS TO AND SUPERVISION OF SUBORDINATES
14. HONORING COMMITMENTS
B. PUBLIC STATEMENTS
1. AVOIDANCE OF FALSE OR DECEPTIVE STATEMENTS
2. MEDIA PRESENTATIONS
3. TESTIMONIALS
4. REPRESENTING THE NRA
C. RESOLVING ETHICAL ISSUES
1. FAMILIARITY WITH ETHICS GUIDE
2. CONFRONTING ETHICAL ISSUES
3. CONFLICTS BETWEEN ETHICS AND ORGANIZATIONAL DEMANDS
4. INFORMAL RESOLUTION OF ETHICS VIOLATIONS
5. FORMAL REPORTING OF ETHICS VIOLATIONS
6. COOPERATING WITH ETHICS INVESTIGATIONS
7. IMPROPER COMPLAINTS
NRA TRAINER’S ETHICS GUIDE
INTRODUCTION
We are not immune from ethical problems in the shooting sports.
The intent of this guide is to provide both general principles and the decision rules to cover most
situations encountered by NRA trainers.
It has been designed with the purpose of establishing trainer ethics in order to protect the students,
athletes, trainers, volunteers, clubs, the NRA, and the public. These standards define (to the extent
possible) acceptable and unacceptable categories of behavior.
Whether a trainer has violated the Ethics Guide does not in itself determine if a contract or agreement is
enforceable or if legal consequences occur. These results are based on legal rather than ethical rules.
However, compliance with or violation of the Ethics Guide may be relevant as evidence in some legal
proceedings, depending upon the circumstances.
It is the individual responsibility of each trainer to aspire to the highest possible standards of conduct.
Trainers should respect and protect human civil rights, and should not knowingly participate in or
condone unfair discriminatory practices.
GENERAL PRINCIPLES
COMPETENCE
Trainers strive to maintain high standards of excellence in their work. They recognize the
boundaries of their particular competencies and the limitations of their expertise. They provide
only those services and use only those techniques for which they are qualified by education,
training, or experience. Trainers exercise careful judgment and take appropriate precautions to
protect the welfare of those with whom they work. They maintain knowledge of relevant
educational information related to the services they render, and they recognize the need for
ongoing education. Trainers make appropriate use of scientific, professional, technical, and
administrative resources.
INTEGRITY
Trainers seek to promote integrity in the practice of instructing and coaching. Trainers are honest
and fair. In describing or reporting their qualifications, services, products, or fees, they do not
make statements that are false, misleading, or deceptive. Trainers strive to be aware of their own
belief systems, values, needs, and limitations, and the effect of these on their work. To the extent
feasible, they attempt to clarify, for relevant parties, the roles they are performing and to function
appropriately in accordance with those roles. Trainers avoid improper and potentially harmful
relationships.
PROFESSIONAL RESPONSIBILITY
Trainers uphold professional standards of conduct, clarify their professional roles and obligations,
accept appropriate responsibility for their behavior, and adapt their methods to the needs of
different participants. Trainers consult with, refer to, or cooperate with other professionals and
institutes to the extent needed to serve the best interests of their students, or other recipients of
their services. Trainers' moral standards and conduct are personal matters to the same degree as is
true for any other person, except when trainers' conduct may compromise their responsibilities or
reduce the public's trust in shooting instruction or shooting instructors and/or coaches.
RESPECT OF PARTICIPANTS’* RIGHTS AND DIGNITY
Trainers respect the fundamental rights, dignity, and worth of all participants. Trainers are aware
of individual differences. Trainers try to eliminate the effect of biases on their work, and they do
not knowingly participate in or condone unlawful discriminatory practices.
CONCERN FOR OTHERS' WELFARE
Trainers seek to contribute to the welfare of those with whom they interact. In their actions,
trainers consider the welfare and rights of all participants. When conflicts occur among trainers'
obligations or concerns, they attempt to resolve these conflicts to perform their roles in a
responsible fashion that avoids or minimizes harm. Trainers are sensitive to differences in power
between themselves and others, and they do not exploit or mislead other people before, during or
after their instructional or coaching relationships.
RESPONSIBILITY TO THE COMMUNITY
Trainers are aware of their ethical responsibilities to the community and the society in which they
work and live. They apply and make public their knowledge of shooting in order to contribute to
human welfare. Trainers try to avoid misuse of their work. Trainers comply with the law and
encourage the development of law and policies that serve the interest of shooting and responsible
gun ownership.
* Participants: Those taking part in shooting (shooters and their family members, instructors,
coaches, officials, volunteer, administrators, and spectators).
ETHICAL STANDARDS
A. GENERAL STANDARDS
These General Standards are applicable to the activities of all NRA trainers.
1. APPLICABILITY OF ETHICS GUIDE
While many aspects of personal behavior and private activities seem far
removed from official duties of teaching shooting, all trainers should be
sensitive to their position as role models for shooters and their
community. Private activities perceived as immoral or illegal can
influence the public’s perception of shooting instructors and coaches.
Trainers are encouraged to observe the standards of this Ethics Guide
consistently.
2. BOUNDARIES OF COMPETENCE
a. Trainers provide services only after first undertaking appropriate
study, training, supervision, and/or consultation from qualified members
of their respective credentialing association.
b. In those areas of the United States that require specified education or
certification for instructors or coaches, trainers take reasonable steps to
ensure that they are in compliance with the law.
3. MAINTAINING EXPERTISE
Trainers maintain a reasonable level of awareness of related educational
information and undertake ongoing efforts to maintain competence in the
skills they use.
4. BASIS FOR PROFESSIONAL JUDGMENTS
Trainers rely on scientifically and professionally derived knowledge
when making judgments or when engaging in instructional or coaching
endeavors.
5. DESCRIBING THE NATURE OF INSTRUCTION OR COACHING
When trainers provide services or information to an individual, a group,
or an organization, they use language that is reasonably understandable
and appropriate to the recipient of those services, and information that is
always updated and truthful.
6. RESPECTING OTHERS
a. Trainers respect the rights of others to hold values, attitudes, and
opinions that differ from their own.
b. When engaged in instructing or coaching, trainers recognize the power
they hold over participants, and therefore make reasonable efforts to
avoid engaging in conduct that is demeaning to participants.
7. DISCRIMINATION
Trainers do not engage in discrimination on any basis prescribed by law.
8. SEXUAL HARASSMENT
a. Trainers do not engage in sexual harassment.
b. Trainers will treat sexual harassment complainants and respondents
with dignity and respect.
9. AVOIDING HARM
Trainers take reasonable steps to avoid harming their participants.
10. MISUSE OF INFLUENCE
Because trainers' judgments and actions may affect the lives of others,
they are alert to guard against personal, financial, social, organizational,
or political factors that might lead to misuse of their influence.
11. MULTIPLE RELATIONSHIPS
a. In many communities and situations, it may not be feasible or
reasonable for trainers to avoid social or other non-training contacts with
students, athletes and other participants. Trainers must always be
sensitive to the potential harmful effects of other contacts on their work
and on those persons with whom they deal. A trainer refrains from
entering into or promising a personal, professional, financial, or other
type of relationship with such persons if it appears likely that such a
relationship might impair the trainer's objectivity or otherwise interfere
with the trainer effectively performing his or her function, or might harm
or exploit the other party.
b. Whenever feasible, a trainer refrains from taking on obligations when
preexisting relationships would create a risk of harm.
c. If a trainer finds that, due to unforeseen factors, a potentially harmful
multiple relationship has arisen, the trainer attempts to resolve it with due
regard for the best interests of the affected person and in maximum
compliance with this Ethics Guide.
12. EXPLOITATIVE RELATIONSHIPS
a. Trainers do not exploit participants over whom they have supervisory,
evaluative, or other authority.
b. Trainers do not engage in sexual/romantic relationships with
participants over whom the trainer has evaluative, direct, or indirect
authority whenever such relationships are likely to impair judgment or be
exploitative.
13. DELEGATIONS TO AND SUPERVISION OF SUBORDINATES
a. Trainers delegate to their assistants only the authority that such
persons can reasonably be expected to perform competently on the basis
of their education, training, experience, or certification.
b. Trainers provide proper training and supervision to their assistants or
substitutes, as well as take reasonable steps to see that such persons
perform services responsibly, competently, and ethically.
14. HONORING COMMITMENTS
Trainers take responsible measures to honor all commitments they have
made to participants.
A. PUBLIC STATEMENTS
1. AVOIDANCE OF FALSE OR DECEPTIVE STATEMENTS
Trainers do not make public statements that are false, deceptive,
misleading, or fraudulent (either due to what they state, convey, or
suggest, or because of what they omit) concerning their accomplishments
or activities or those of persons or organizations with which they are
affiliated. As examples (and not in limitation) of this standard, trainers
do not make false or deceptive statements concerning:
a. Their training, experience, competence, or services.
b. Their institutional or association affiliations.
c. Their academic degrees.
d. Their credentials.
a. The basis for, results of, or degree of success of their services.
f. Their shooting accomplishments
2. MEDIA PRESENTATIONS
When trainers provide advice or comment by means of public lectures,
demonstrations, radio or television programs, pre-recorded tapes, printed
articles, mailed material, or other media, they take reasonable
precautions to ensure that the statements are consistent with this Ethics
Guide.
3. TESTIMONIALS
Trainers do not solicit testimonials from current or prospective
participants who, because of their particular circumstances, are
vulnerable to undue influence.
4. REPRESENTING THE NRA
Trainers understand that their business relationship with the NRA is that
of an independent contractor who has been given credentials by the NRA
to teach specific NRA courses or perform other specified training
activities. Trainers understand they are not NRA employees and may not
represent the NRA on matters of NRA policy formulation or policy
interpretation nor may they make business commitments on behalf of the
NRA unless given specific written authorization to do so.
B. RESOLVING ETHICAL ISSUES
1. FAMILIARITY WITH ETHICS GUIDE
Trainers have an obligation to be familiar with this Ethics Guide (or as it
may be amended from time to time), other applicable ethics codes, and
their application to the trainer's work. Lack of awareness, or
misunderstanding of an ethical standard is not, in itself, a defense to a
charge of unethical conduct.
2. CONFRONTING ETHICAL ISSUES
When a trainer is uncertain whether a particular situation or course of
action would violate the Ethics Guide, the trainer ordinarily consults with
other trainers knowledgeable about ethical issues, or with the NRA
Training Department.
3. CONFLICTS BETWEEN ETHICS AND ORGANIZATIONAL DEMANDS
If the demands of an organization with which trainers are affiliated
conflict with this Ethics Guide, trainers clarify the nature of the conflict,
make known their commitment to this Ethics Guide, and to the extent
feasible, seek to resolve the conflict in a way that permits the fullest
adherence to the Ethics Guide.
4. INFORMAL RESOLUTION OF ETHICS VIOLATIONS
When participants believe that there may have been an ethics violation
by a trainer, they may attempt to resolve the issue by bringing it to the
attention of that individual in an informal manner.
5. FORMAL REPORTING OF ETHICS VIOLATIONS
If an apparent ethics violation is not appropriate for informal resolution
under this Ethics Guide, or is not resolved properly in that fashion,
participants and the NRA may take further action by:
a. Participant:
Any participant with first-hand knowledge may notify the NRA
Training Department in writing, identifying those involved and the
specific ethics violations and describing actions taken to resolve
the situation.
b. The NRA Training Department:
(1) Will review and investigate documented ethics
violation charges.
(2) If necessary, will review the ethics violation charge
with NRA counsel.
(3) If the charge is credible, will notify the accused of
the allegation in writing. The accused will be given the
opportunity to respond in writing.
(4) Will render a decision and notify the accused in
writing. The decision may result in exoneration or in
sanctions, including, but not limited to, suspension or
revocation of NRA training credentials.
(5) Will keep a written record on all reviews, responses,
and actions.
6. COOPERATING WITH ETHICS INVESTIGATIONS
Trainers cooperate in ethics investigations and proceedings. Failure to
cooperate is itself an ethics violation.
7. IMPROPER COMPLAINTS
Participants do not file or encourage the filing of ethics complaints that
are frivolous or are intended to harm the respondent rather than protect
the public.

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2013, 08:15:22 AM »
The way I could see Nebraska stepping up the quality of their program..... are these few items:

1) Instructors have to go through a training class taught by NSP on what to teach....... Getting a NRA Instructor certification (all that is required now) IS NOT ADEQUATE in my opinion. This class should be taken by the Instructor and they get re-certified every couple years. (Utah does it)

2) Instructors should be required to demonstrate competency. ie. must take a much more lengthy and challenging test on the CHP rules and regs/state laws and firearms knowledge. AND Instructors should be required to demonstrate competency with a handgun by qualifying every couple years at the very least. Again a much more challenging qualification than what is required of the students.

3) There needs to be ONE standard curriculum that all Instructors follow. Teaching a NRA basic pistol class by the book, and passing out a photocopy of NE laws without any discussion is a major failure on the Instructors part.... And that is happening out there right now folks.