< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Another MRAP delivered to Co. Sheriff in N.C.  (Read 937 times)

Offline UPCrawfish

• NFOA Full Member
Another MRAP delivered to Co. Sheriff in N.C.
« on: January 01, 2014, 09:38:47 PM »
County has a population of 25,000.   Comments in article again bring up the 'fact' that there are a lot of 'hunters' in the county....

http://hamptonroads.com/2013/12/currituck-sheriffs-office-gets-18ton-armored-truck

From the article...   "Currituck is one of five North Carolina and two Virginia law enforcement agencies to receive one of the armored trucks this year. The federal government has given out 165 nationally since August, said Michelle McCaskill, a spokeswoman for the Defense Logistics Agency."
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 09:42:02 PM by UPCrawfish »

Offline AWick

• Steel Benefactor
  • Home is where your armory is.
Re: Another MRAP delivered to Co. Sheriff in N.C.
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2014, 10:25:28 PM »
“Some people might ask, ‘Why do we need something like this?’ ” said Capt. Sandy Casey of the Sheriff’s Office. “We don’t know what could be next. They say domestic terrorism is what local law enforcement will be dealing with.”

Casey cited mall shootings and the Sandy Hook, Conn., and Columbine, Colo., school shootings as examples of fatal calamities in smaller communities.

Yeah, because they can definitely deploy this thing in the 80 seconds it takes for one of those attacks to take place...  NOT!

Also, I would LOVE to see them try to drive it "through flood waters", ain't happening... half million pile of junk isn't worth a hill of beans for domestic use.
"Well-regulated" meant well equipped, trained and disciplined... not controlled with an iron fist.

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014, 06:16:33 AM »
Currituck County has a population of about 25,000 and a low crime rate. The last five slayings stemmed from domestic disputes, with the most recent occurring more than two years ago.

But hunting with high-powered rifles is a popular pastime here. Deputies have responded to 120 domestic disputes this year, and in many cases those involved were armed and using drugs or alcohol.

WTF? does that have to do with anything else in context?
Do they teach that in journalism classes these days?
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline Lmbass14

• Powder Benefactor
  • Red Horse - Semper Ducimus
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 08:17:41 AM »
Sounds to me that hunters are the new terrorists, since we use those EVIL black firearms.

Offline RedDot

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2014, 05:08:36 PM »
I guess you can justify anything if you have to... love the part in the article where they describe an encounter with an armed "domestic terrorist" who was using a shed as his own personal Alamo, and how LE was at a loss the resolve the situation.  Now they have a new option, "Hey Barney why don't we take our multi-million dollar MRAP and just run over that $200 lawnmower shed?"  :P

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2014, 10:37:47 PM »
If they're selling these to police departments I think civilians should get to buy them also.

I want to drive one to work, just to torque off the ultra-liberal people in the business across the parking lot.  My boss can't stand them either, so he'd probably go halfsies with me :)