< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: malfunctioning glock question  (Read 1770 times)

Offline depserv

• NFOA Full Member
malfunctioning glock question
« on: December 26, 2013, 07:15:23 PM »
A friend bought a brand new gen 4 glock 9mm subcompact so I took her to the range to try it out.  This was only the 2nd time she had shot a pistol.  Out of 150 rounds she had 8 misfires.  I looked at the primers and there was a dent but it was barely perceptible.  I put the round back in each time and it fired.  We were using mostly Winchester, and maybe a dozen or so steel cased Russian tulammo, which work perfectly in my Glocks.  We had misfires with both types.  I fired a few magazine loads out of the pistol and didn't have any misfires.

She also had a couple of failures to feed, which I told her was due to not gripping the pistol securely enough; after she tightened her grip up there were no more FTFs, but there were more misfires. 

I have several Glocks and have fired tens of thousands of rounds out of them and I don't remember ever having a misfire with one.  Is there anything besides a defective pistol that might have caused this to happen?  I know from experience that semi-autos tend to not like women very much and misbehave for them (for reasons we all know), but I don't see how that could apply to the striker apparently not hitting hard enough.

I took it apart after we got home and cleaned it really well, and sprayed cleaner through the firing pin hole in case maybe there was some set up oil or grease in it or something, and I put a little oil in; we'll try it again in a few days.  But I don't think my cleaning will solve whatever the problem was.

I'm thinking she'll probably have to take it to Scheels and have them send it back to Glock.  The problem is she got it because she's a woman living alone and she doesn't want to be without it for a few weeks.  Maybe someone who knows Glock mechanics better than I do has a better solution. 
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 07:48:15 PM by depserv »
The liberal cult seeks destruction of the American Republic like water seeks low ground.

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
Re: malfunctioning glock question
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2013, 07:23:31 PM »
I know the Tula has hard primers, have seen a few not pop in striker fired handguns. My M&P9c had an issue with it, so I just didn't shoot it.
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline sidearm1

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2013, 07:27:30 PM »
I am not that familiar with Glocks, but it sounds like "limp wristing".  If you did not have the malfunctions when you fired the weapon and then she did, it could be because she is not firmly behind the weapon.  She might have to try a "crush grip" where she tries to squeeze the handle together.

I would try that first, before sending it back.

Also, you may want to try 100 rounds through the weapon, with just you shooting and see if the problem develops.  If after that many rounds, and they all work, it just might be shooter training.

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2013, 07:37:33 PM »
I've heard and seen FTE due to limp wrist but don't see how that would affect striking the primer.  I have some steel Tula, I'll have to see how well it plays with my Glock.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2013, 08:31:24 PM »
I took it apart after we got home and cleaned it really well, and sprayed cleaner through the firing pin hole

FWIW.............  Most handgun authorities who have ever dwelt upon the topic of firing/striker pins generally recommend that they not be oiled or greased.

Because..........   then dust, dirt, lint, whatever......... can get in with the oil and make a gummy mess that eventually clogs up and jams the firing pin.   Especially in cold weather.

Mostly, Those Who Claim to Know About These Things suggest just keeping the firing/striker pin clean and dry.

Maybe a shot of cleaning spray down the firing pin hole followed by blowing out with canned air or an air compressor nozzle.   (Just like you did, but without adding oil at the end.)

For your consideration.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2013, 10:07:57 PM »
I will be happy to look at this pistol and see what is wrong with it.

Spraying anything into the firing pin channel of a Glock is not something you should ever do.

Where is the gun located? Lincoln, Omaha?

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2013, 10:19:50 PM »
I would agree with Chris Z on the no lube in the firing pin channel.   That will need to be cleaned out before you look to see what was wrong with it. 

I am at 1st & O street, in Lincoln, Guns 2 Roses.  I would be happy to clean it free of charge, and see what is out of spec, if anything.  Number one cause of malfunctions in a Glock is ammo.   First thing to check beyond basics on the gun, is try different ammo.  That will cure the issue 99% of the time.   Stick with the major brand names. 

I was an FFL for years, retired in 2000 from selling guns.  I am a Pistol instructor for NRA, teach concealed carry for the state of Nebraska and a Glock Certified Armorer.  I own five Glocks of my own.    Be happy to look at it for you, on the counter, in front of you, so we can see what is wrong, together. 

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2013, 10:23:40 PM »
its a grock, its gonna mess up so deal with it,

now if you had a nice steel 1911. you wouldn't have those problems
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2013, 10:28:52 PM »

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2013, 07:21:42 AM »

Maybe the Glock looked in the mirror and saw how ugly it was, and became so depressed it won't work anymore. 

;D

Offline Lmbass14

• Powder Benefactor
  • Red Horse - Semper Ducimus
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2013, 08:52:04 AM »
The Glock is total FUBAR.  Not worth fixing, terrible, POS, not worth a dime.  I'll take it.  :P

Like said above, try good name brand quality ammo, with just you and the glock.  Is it just one or multi magazines that the failures are happening with? Glock mags or after market?

Offline depserv

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2013, 11:28:46 PM »
I'd like to thank everyone here for the very excellent information; this is one of the good things about this site: knowledgeable people willing to share what they know. 

We went to the range again today.  She shot 160 rounds: 100 Tulammo brass case, 50 Federal, and 10 Remington expensive self defense hollow points.  We had zero misfires.  I had cleaned the slide assembly, including especially the firing pin channel (as I pointed out in my original post), with spray cleaner, and before we shot today I sprayed more into the channel to clean out the light oil I had put in it when I cleaned it before.

So I don't know whether it was gunk around the firing pin or bad ammo that caused the problem; all I know is that the problem no longer seems to exist, which is what I've come to expect from a Glock.  I had always put a drop of light oil down the firing pin hole before and never had a misfire, but I won't any more, based on what I learned here.

Thanks again, and may all the patriots here have a happy and prosperous new year, free from liberal aggression.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 11:33:19 PM by depserv »
The liberal cult seeks destruction of the American Republic like water seeks low ground.

Offline Lmbass14

• Powder Benefactor
  • Red Horse - Semper Ducimus
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2013, 07:24:12 AM »
Glad all is well with the Glock.  Don't think you will ever wear them out. depserv, hope you and yours have a happy New Year.

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2013, 05:59:30 PM »
That pooch is amazed at just how beautiful a Glock pistol can be after you polish one.  Amazing!

Before and after in the miracle of the Internet.

Glad you have it going again!