< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Smith & Wesson M & P Sport AR  (Read 1855 times)

Offline RANGER 01

• Powder Benefactor
Smith & Wesson M & P Sport AR
« on: February 14, 2014, 10:22:15 PM »
Guys,
I would like your opinions on the Smith & Wesson M & P 15 Sport 5.56 NATO # 811036 AR Rifle.
I know it lacks some features like the dust cover and forward assist but for a first entry level AR just for target and home defense the reviews look good. I have a M1 Carbine that I could use but would like to have a black rifle with out breaking the bank.
Thanks
Dick
My Oath, taken in 1959, to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic,still STANDS

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
Re: Smith & Wesson M & P Sport AR
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 10:37:40 PM »
4 items:

Upper with Strikefire optic
Regular Price: $479.98
Special Price $399.99
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/psa-m4-strikefire-premium-black-friday-upper.html

PTAC Bolt carrier assy.
Regular Price: $99.99
Special Price $74.99
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ptac-5-56-full-auto-bolt-carrier-group-w-carpenter-158-bolt.html

Lower build kit
Regular Price: $139.99
Special Price $79.99
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/palmetto-state-armory-enhanced-lower-build-kit-blk.html

Blem lower receiver
Regular Price: $119.99
Special Price $59.99
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/psa-blemished-safe-fire-lower.html

~$615 plus shipping and transfer fee gets you an AR15 with a FN Chrome-lined barrel and an optic for just a bit more. Assembly is easy with step-by-step instructions on youtube or with the help of a NFOA member.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline RANGER 01

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2014, 12:10:21 AM »
Thanks to FarmerRICK for your help.
Looks like a good deal.
Dick
My Oath, taken in 1959, to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic,still STANDS

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2014, 06:26:57 AM »
after owning AR's for awhile, i like building.  i get what i want right away and don't have to resell take off parts.  but to each his own.  make sure to post pics of what you get and how it shoots.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline jFader

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2014, 07:07:57 AM »
The reviews that I read about the m&p sport 15 have been pretty good....there is one on thetruthaboutguns.com where he tests it out in a sandy enviorment & didn't have any issues.

I saw that de guns in Lincoln has them in stock for $599 + tax, I don't see how you could go wrong at that price.
I was thinking about picking one up for my first AR....on the other hand FarmerRick brings up a good point, I've read about how easy it is to assemble one. I just haven't spent the time to research the exact process. I've seen several for sale on Armslist.com lately that were listed as having 'issues' firing or loading rounds and they were usually 'home assembled' which kind of discourages me....having zero gun assembly experience...
The 2nd Amendment is not open for debate!

NRA Member
SAF Life Member
Proud NFOA Member

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2014, 08:06:55 AM »
Lack of forward assist is a good thing.  Not needed.
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline RANGER 01

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2014, 12:18:04 PM »
Do you have to headspace the bolt as you do with M1 Garands & M1 Carbines as you have to have the gauges for those and they are about $ 35.00 each. I was of the understanding that any rifle the bolt needs head spaced if not factory built.
The only rifles that I have come from CMP already checked.
As you can tell I am new at all of this. I may be old but always can learn new tricks.
Dick

Offline newfalguy101

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2014, 01:02:03 PM »
If you build the upper from scratch, then yes you will have to headspace it, on the other hand, if you buy a complete upper, its an install and head to the range deal
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 11:27:17 PM by newfalguy101 »

Offline RANGER 01

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2014, 03:04:43 PM »
THANKS
That clears up the headspace problem I was concerned about.
Grabagun has 1 for $ 579.00 + shipping $ 5.99 flat rate + transfer fee at my dealer of $ 25.00 = total of $609.99 + no tax but no Optics & chrome lined barrel 7-1 twist.
Dick

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2014, 04:11:41 PM »
I check headspace on all the ones I build, but I've never found one to be out of spec so far when using decent quality parts.
It is usually a non-issue when it comes to AR15s, but I always check to be sure.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline landon410

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2014, 08:04:18 AM »
I just "built" my first AR, its actually pretty fun to put the lower together. I bought my complete upper from a member on this forum.

as an AR Newb, I took a sense of pride in learning about the weapon and putting the lower parts kit together, which is actually pretty easy.

Offline tatejo

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2014, 06:35:08 PM »
I bought this AR last Nov. love it to death. For a "budget AR-15" it is hard to beat. Put about 1000 rounds through it and not a single jam yet. Highly recommended it for the price compared to any others in that range.

Take a look to a Windham Weaponry too, they are very nice for the dollar.

Did put a bit of magpul on it and a Vortex Scope though!

Offline RightWingGunNut

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2014, 07:31:03 PM »
It's a good budget AR-15.
"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

“The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory.” - Aldo Gucci

Offline RANGER 01

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2014, 07:53:57 PM »
Thanks guys for all the replies and comments.
I really appreciated all the info.
Dick

Offline RANGER 01

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2014, 11:00:49 PM »
I have lost sight in my right eye and I am right handed so would have to fire the weapon left handed.
Is that going to cause any problems.
Dick