< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Cooper's Color Codes?  (Read 1160 times)

Offline citizen

• NFOA Full Member
Cooper's Color Codes?
« on: May 07, 2014, 07:42:54 PM »
Does anyone know which book or written work of Jeff Cooper's contains the original publication of the Color Codes?

I am doing some research and am having a hard time finding the original publication of the Color Codes. Website and magazine articles do not cite where the concept originally came from. The only citation I found was incorrect that states it was from the book "Principles of Personal Defense" I have this book and its not in there. Even Wikipedia doesn't have a reference cited. But everyone uses the same wording so I know it must have an origin somewhere.

I'll keep looking but wanted to throw it out there, if anyone knows what the original source was please send it my way.

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Cooper's Color Codes?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 11:19:55 PM »
If you google "Jeff Cooper's Commentaries" it will bring up several sites that have .pdf archives of several years of his his commentaries. This was sort of the original "blog". He didn't publish them online himself, if I understand correctly, but wrote a monthly newsletter of sorts that he sent out to friends, peers, former students who had gone through the original gunsite academy under his tutelage, etc.

A few bits of the monthly newsletter then were cut and edited down to be included as the last page article, also titled Jeff Cooper's Commentaries, in Guns and Ammo magazine. The full newsletter was much better.

Anyway, once you download the .pdfs it will be a simple enough task to search for the phrase "color code". He referenced the code often and I believe I recall articles where he discussed its origins. In latter years he sometimes complained that others had added things that were not part of his code such as a "condition black". I also recall a commentary after 9/11 when he was amused that the federal government had adopted a similar color for the national threat level.

I also have some of his books but don't recall the code mentioned there. The commentaries are probably your best bet.

Cooper was a great man. Well-read, well-educated, well-traveled, intelligent and eloquent. I looked forward to his commentaries every month. Even the style of his prose was refreshing and stimulating. Thinking about him now makes me realize how sad I still am that he's no longer with us.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 10:24:09 PM by feralcatkillr »
"Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder." ~ FCK

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 09:33:52 AM »
IIRC he borrowed this code from the USMC....

Offline citizen

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 10:56:44 AM »
Thank you. That is very helpful.

I wish I could have met the man and learned from him directly. I am thankful he wrote down a body of work and trained enough people to leave a legacy.

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2014, 04:32:11 PM »
2:35

Offline citizen

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2014, 08:39:38 PM »
After much investigation John Schaefer's website has the most current info. The most common wording that everyone uses can be traced back to John's website at:

http://www.frfrogspad.com/color.htm

Or cited as:

"Cooper, Jeff. Mindset Lecture (transcribed by John Schaefer). Defensive Pistolcraft ‘76’. American Pistol Institute (now called Gunsite). Marietta, OH. 7 June 1976."

A great DVD from the Gunsite website can still be purchased that has Cooper himself giving the lecture. Although the wording is different, the concept is quite powerful heard from Cooper himself. It can be found at:

http://www.gunsitestore.com/store/page8.html

or cited as:

“Jeff Cooper on Mental Conditioning for Combat. 1981. Gunsite Academy. DVD.”

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2014, 09:03:12 PM »
For those who haven't read much by Cooper, the entire set of "Cooper's Commentaries" (well, starting in 1993) are archived here:  http://www.molonlabe.net/Commentaries/

Way back when, I printed them all out and put them in binders.  Some of it is incredibly dated, some is woefully wrong, much of it is brilliant---and all of it tells you a LOT about the history of practical shooting (however you want to take that phrase) over the last several decades.

Instead of HtML files, the various volumes are also available as PDF files, and I highly recommend everyone downloading them and reading through them. 

Serious slice of history there.

(Far after he first developed the color codes.  But I recall he discussed them at length at least once in the commentaries...)
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com