< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Saw Lone Survivor on Sunday  (Read 1335 times)

Offline NENick

• NFOA Full Member
Saw Lone Survivor on Sunday
« on: January 13, 2014, 10:29:54 AM »
I went and saw Lone Survivor on Sunday around noon... the theater was packed! I was really surprised to see that many people on a Sunday morning movie.

It was two hours of intensity. I encourage anyone who goes to see it to read the book. The heroism of the fallen SEALs was kept true, but other details were changed.

For example, Marcus Luttrell broke his back after falling down the mountain. He then proceeded to crawl for 7 miles. It’s an amazing feat that I could not understand why they left out until I heard a bunch of Marcus’s interviews. It sounds like he wanted the movie to be more about his teammates than him.
I highly recommend it!

P.S. Bring plenty of tissues… Of course, I’m a man, so I don’t/can’t cry like a baby…

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
Re: Saw Lone Survivor on Sunday
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 10:43:20 AM »
One of the guys in the office was just telling me about it.  He went in just expecting a regular action movie but was blown away by the story.

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 10:57:19 AM »
I've heard great things about it (with also some requisite complaining from others which is actually a good sign, considering who was whining) and I'll go, even though I can't stand whiny anti-gun assaultive punk Marky Mark. 

[sigh]

Some details in the movie are "altered for Hollywood," being different from the book.  Some details in the book differ from the official reports.  Nonetheless, from what I hear, the important parts of the story, the parts from which we should gather meaning are all true to the spirit of what occurred.

I'll be going.  (Just chaps my hide a bit to give money to Wahlberg.)
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 11:40:33 AM »
Some details in the movie are "altered for Hollywood," being different from the book.  Some details in the book differ from the official reports.  Nonetheless, from what I hear, the important parts of the story, the parts from which we should gather meaning are all true to the spirit of what occurred.

I saw the movie on Sunday as well.  In some respects, I think the movie was closer to actual events than the book.  (I've also read the book.)

While this is obviously a great story of survival (on Luttrell's part) and a also great reminder that our freedoms aren't free, I'd give the movie maybe a C+/B-.  Worth seeing, but go to a matinee to save money.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 02:49:14 PM »
Sometimes hard to take him serious as an actor....

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 05:16:59 PM »
I read somewhere (probably the internet) that some theaters had such a rush for the movie that they shut down other movies to show multiples of this one!!

Why you guys pickin' on Marky?  LOL  Same sentiments.  Makes it hard to respect the roles he plays with his off screen beliefs.  :(
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 06:56:38 PM »
I read somewhere (probably the internet) that some theaters had such a rush for the movie that they shut down other movies to show multiples of this one!!

Why you guys pickin' on Marky?  LOL  Same sentiments.  Makes it hard to respect the roles he plays with his off screen beliefs.  :(

Sadly, it seems like most Hollywood types that star in action stuff using firearms are against us unwashed masses having them. >:D

Offline UPCrawfish

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2014, 04:09:35 PM »
Allen West's comments on "Lone Survivor"....

http://allenbwest.com/2014/01/three-lessons-lone-survivor/

Offline pfinn

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2014, 10:18:10 AM »
I read the book several years ago. I read A LOT of books like that (first/third person accounts from wars in Iraq/Afghanistan). Lone survivor is hands down the best book in that genre  Beyond being a great book, it is a great story on many levels... sacrifice, loyalty, toughness, compassion, and endurance.

I also went to the movie on opening night with a group of friends, some who had read the book, some who had not.

JTH was pretty close:

My takeaway was the movie was FAR less moving and impactful than the book, but I don't think they could have stayed true to the book in a 2hr movie.

The above mentioned concepts of the story come through (sacrifice, loyalty, toughness, compassion, and endurance), but the details vary quite a bit. It is a hollywood interpretation for sure.

One of the interesting things I noticed in discussing the film afterwards was that those of us who had read the book, liked the movie less than those who had not read it.

I guess the book was so powerful, the movie just couldn't get there due to the concessions they had to make. While give the book an A, I give the movie a C.

Offline DJSIMS

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2014, 12:06:37 PM »
I read the book and saw the movie yesterday, the movie of course does not exactly match the book and does not do nearly as good of a job at covering the very real human side of the situation. Both are excellent in my opinion and will leave a lump in any real American's throat, obviously NOT the liberal idiots who continue to bash the movie.
Having a CCW is like a seat belt in a car, a hassle to put on and uncomfortable to wear, you pray you never need it but thank God for it if you do. It is there to protect yourself and your family the only difference is a seatbelt is MANDATORY by law!! ~ Me
Former USMC, NRA life member, NAGR, GOA