General Categories > Non Gun Stuff

Saw Lone Survivor on Sunday

<< < (2/2)

NE Bull:
I read somewhere (probably the internet) that some theaters had such a rush for the movie that they shut down other movies to show multiples of this one!!

Why you guys pickin' on Marky?  LOL  Same sentiments.  Makes it hard to respect the roles he plays with his off screen beliefs.  :(

abbafandr:

--- Quote from: NE Bull on January 13, 2014, 05:16:59 PM ---I read somewhere (probably the internet) that some theaters had such a rush for the movie that they shut down other movies to show multiples of this one!!

Why you guys pickin' on Marky?  LOL  Same sentiments.  Makes it hard to respect the roles he plays with his off screen beliefs.  :(

--- End quote ---

Sadly, it seems like most Hollywood types that star in action stuff using firearms are against us unwashed masses having them. >:D

UPCrawfish:
Allen West's comments on "Lone Survivor"....

http://allenbwest.com/2014/01/three-lessons-lone-survivor/

pfinn:
I read the book several years ago. I read A LOT of books like that (first/third person accounts from wars in Iraq/Afghanistan). Lone survivor is hands down the best book in that genre  Beyond being a great book, it is a great story on many levels... sacrifice, loyalty, toughness, compassion, and endurance.

I also went to the movie on opening night with a group of friends, some who had read the book, some who had not.

JTH was pretty close:

--- Quote from: jthhapkido on January 13, 2014, 10:57:19 AM ---Some details in the movie are "altered for Hollywood," being different from the book.  Some details in the book differ from the official reports.  Nonetheless, from what I hear, the important parts of the story, the parts from which we should gather meaning are all true to the spirit of what occurred.

--- End quote ---

My takeaway was the movie was FAR less moving and impactful than the book, but I don't think they could have stayed true to the book in a 2hr movie.

The above mentioned concepts of the story come through (sacrifice, loyalty, toughness, compassion, and endurance), but the details vary quite a bit. It is a hollywood interpretation for sure.

One of the interesting things I noticed in discussing the film afterwards was that those of us who had read the book, liked the movie less than those who had not read it.

I guess the book was so powerful, the movie just couldn't get there due to the concessions they had to make. While give the book an A, I give the movie a C.

DJSIMS:
I read the book and saw the movie yesterday, the movie of course does not exactly match the book and does not do nearly as good of a job at covering the very real human side of the situation. Both are excellent in my opinion and will leave a lump in any real American's throat, obviously NOT the liberal idiots who continue to bash the movie.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version