< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Law Enforcement Certification  (Read 2221 times)

Offline Ronvandyn

• Pollywog
  • Powder Benefactor
Law Enforcement Certification
« on: January 03, 2014, 06:07:30 PM »
Eventually, when the DOD and the Air Force finally get around to finalizing their document trails I will be looking for someone who is qualified to run me through a LEO approved course of fire for qualificaiton (LEOSA).  Anyone know someone who can do that, cost, number of rounds required?

Ron
NE-CHP Holder, USAF Veteran, NRA Member,  ENGC Member
KC0MXX

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Law Enforcement Certification
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 06:20:35 PM »
What do mean? One typically carries under LEOSA as a current LEO or retired LEO with a department or SO who qualifies them and carries their "ticket"......of all things Wikipedia has a really good explanation.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 06:24:49 PM by bullit »

Offline Ronvandyn

• Pollywog
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 09:42:36 PM »
LEOSA was expanded at the beginning of 2013 to include Military LEO's who served 10 or more years in a law enforcement capacity.  The DOD and USAF are still getting this ironed out about how they want to issue LEOSA creds to retired or former military police who meet the stated criteria in the law.  One of those "criteria" is that the individual must have a certification of sucussessfully completing a military LEO course of fire, or in cases where the branch chooses to not have these former members fire their weapons and their ammo, to have the individual fire a local LEO course of fire. 

The USAF has decided to outsource this to a contractor (no decision on who that will be yet) who will gather all of the information needed to meet the criteria for a LEOSA cred.  DD-214, background check, and of course certification by a local LEO certified instructor as having passed the local LEO course of fire.  There are expectations that the USAF will complete its plans for the LEOSA issuance this year, which of course means that since they "may" begin issuing LEOSA creds to former military police that we the folks looking to receive these documents have to start getting our ducks in a row.

Ron
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 09:45:36 PM by Ronvandyn »
KC0MXX

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 11:06:33 PM »
Eventually, when the DOD and the Air Force finally get around to finalizing their document trails I will be looking for someone who is qualified to run me through a LEO approved course of fire for qualificaiton (LEOSA).  Anyone know someone who can do that, cost, number of rounds required?

Who, can't help you with.  (It'll have to be someone specifically recognized by the state for law enforcement.)    Take a look here for details:  http://www.nletc.state.ne.us/retired_handgun.html

(It says the cost is $50.)

This is Nebraska's firearms qualification course of fire:

http://www.nletc.state.ne.us/pdfs/FireQual.pdf

50 rounds.  Distance, 3-15 yards, FBI Q bottle target.  Two targets, some reloads, all with a par time.  (It's cake.) 

Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline Ronvandyn

• Pollywog
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2014, 03:02:39 PM »
Outstanding jthhapkido, thats exactaly what I was looking for and more.  The video's were very helpfull in determining what I will need to practice (or learn) for the course.  Thanks guy!

Ron
KC0MXX

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2014, 08:48:12 AM »
jthhapkido, I just used this against some dude while discussing the Teacher Carry bill.  He thinks training should be 120 hours and a score of 95% accuracy to pass.
I told him of a "Teacher I Know" that pulled a 50% par time and 100%  accuracy score while running the course for S&G. ;)  I'm awaiting his response.  (And we know how that will go.
β€œIt is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2014, 09:05:27 AM »
Unless you are the former Plattsmouth Chief of Police.....

(It's cake.) 

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2014, 10:32:37 AM »
Outstanding job Thomas!  :)  Great production!  It hammers the point home in terms I think most anyone with at least a room temp IQ can comprehend.  It still may be too much for some members of the Unicam to understand though.  :)

I wonder how many LEO's believe this is a tough qual.  And how many of those look down their nose at armed private citizens.  :)

And I'm betting even I can beat those par times with my antiquated equipment.  And I'm not even a gamer!  :)

PS  Good job showing Ardena from behind.  Anyone who has seen the fire in her eyes when she shoots would have been scared witless.  :)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 10:57:37 AM by Lorimor »
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller