Handguns, Rifles & Shotguns > Shotguns

Remington 870 vs Mossberg 500/590

(1/4) > >>

tcon1834:
This forum seemed a little short on activity so I figured I'd add a topic.

I was trained on the 870 platform nearly 9 years ago in the police academy. I had a 590 special purpose 9 shot that I bought over 10 year ago.  I rarely fired the 590.  I only kept it in the safe for HD.  Last year I purchased a new 870 Tactical.  I added the Magpul goodies...stock, forend and sling adapters.  After firing the 870 and 590 back to back I preferred the 870.  Maybe it just felt more familiar.  I'm not sure. I sold the 590 to a good friend of mine.

I found this video on YouTube today and thought it was pretty informative for anyone new to shotguns.  I'm possibly back in the market for a HD shotgun in 20 gauge or .410 for my gf. As much as I like my 870 I think she might be better off in a 500.  Each has their pros and cons.  What are your thoughts?

newfalguy101:
without even viewing the video.   Its well established that the 870 is the pump shotgun that all others are compared to.............that should tell you something about the 870

gsd:
A lot of it depends on the individual running the firearm. I am familiar with both. The 870 is a prevalent choice with regards to the civilian population. The 500 breed is the military choice. Personally, I don't care for the safety placement in the 500, but I am traditionalist when it comes to that. I want it next to the trigger group.

Have her put hands on both and find which one she likes most, and feels right for her.

tcon1834:
If anyone was wondering, unfortunately,she won't touch the 12 gauge.  Apparently she has fired 12 gauge in the past and didn't like the recoil.

RobertH:
i was gonna suggest letting her shoot a Serbu Super Shorty.  now that has recoil.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version