< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Reloading  (Read 1512 times)

Offline thirtydaZe

• NFOA Full Member
Reloading
« on: January 19, 2014, 02:56:41 PM »
Its been a long weekend of not doing much, and so the thought popped into my mind, as often things do, and now i cant let it go.

Knowing absolutely nothing about it, where would one even start? 

I realize there is time patients and effort involved, but seems like with shooting, reloading is just another expansion of the sport.

Anyhow, im just thinking outloud, but if anyone has some links or info for me id like to entertain your thoughts.

Guess i should add, this would be ammo for my pistols.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
Re: Reloading
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2014, 04:13:47 PM »
There are a few people here who have a very inexpensive yet very informative class on basic reloading.  It is minimal cost (under $30) and basically these good people are just volunteering their time.  Hopefully they will be here shortly to chime in.  I believe SemperFiGuy and Unfy are two of the aforementioned.

Beyond that, there are plenty of reloading books that will help you understand all the nuances of reloading.

Fly
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 04:16:42 PM by OnTheFly »
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline thirtydaZe

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2014, 04:55:58 PM »
Never even considered a class, thanks, thats great.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2014, 05:39:32 PM »
Never even considered a class, thanks, thats great.

Yeah...SemperFiGuy and Unfy have got a lot if compliments on their class. If that's not available, someone with a lot of experience could show you the ropes. I learned to reload 9mm pistol (and that's all I do at this point) from a friend who has loaded a lot of precision rifle rounds. He was able to tell me the finer details of reloading and how every item affects precision. That is all great information which helped me understand the process, but a lot of it is less important when you are only throwing lead projectiles a maximum of 25 yards as opposed to the 100+ yards for rifle.

Regardless, SemperFiGuy and/or Unfy will be by in 3...2...1...

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2014, 07:45:32 PM »
I can vouch for the reloading class put on by SemperFiGuy and unfy.  An evening well spent.  Am now a happy little reloader for all of my 9mm toys.  I won't hesitate to reload other calibers if the need arises.

Offline SS_N_NE

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2014, 08:03:31 PM »
Check out Youtube.com and search for relavent caliber reloading. That will let you see the process and equipment involved. A Lyman Pistol and Revolver Handbook reloading manual will lay out all the process and equipment needed. Total up everything needed and make sure the cost is acceptable. Then a class might be a good way to tie everything together. There are also a lot of reloading forums that can be enlightening.

Reloading is definately an expansion of the sport and can be very satisfying in that regard.

Offline Camach

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2014, 11:36:09 PM »
Pick up the book ABC's of Reloading.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2014, 08:38:29 AM »
It Probably Is Time for Another Reloading Class........

9mm, maybe.

That's a popular caliber.  (Although Everyone Knows .357Sig is the Creme de la creme caliber for SD.)

Wouldn't be until maybe later in February or so.   I've got to work around these planned classes:

>Hunter Education (Bow) this coming Friday/Saturday,
>Omaha Open Carry Monday-Wednesday evenings + Saturday am next week.
>CHP on Sunday, February 9
>CHP on Saturday, March 1

Plus some Other Stuff that Other Folks are asking for.

But....I really like the Reloading Class, mostly because working with unfy is such a pleasure.

FWIW, in the meantime, the many YouTube videos on reloading are quite useful, if you can find the ones where the Narrator will get down right away to business and get on with reloading.   Not all of those YouTubers know what they are talking about, but generally you can tell Who Knows What.

Like with your Buddies.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline thirtydaZe

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2014, 12:12:54 PM »
right on.  keep us posted i guess.  i might be interested in learning the finer points.

is anything required, and how long is the course?

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2014, 06:31:40 PM »

9mm, maybe.

That's a popular caliber.  (Although Everyone Knows .357Sig is the Creme de la creme caliber for SD.)

Misleading, my friend.  I don't reload my self defense ammo and you don't either.  But still, the most important thing is to hit where you aim :)

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2014, 06:56:10 PM »
I'd take a look at the Ammosmith channel on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ammosmith

There is a lot of info there, but he's really good about it.  There's a fair amount of discussion on advanced stuff, I'd look more towards the older videos where he covered basic stuff.  Basically:

http://www.youtube.com/user/ammosmith/videos

And keep 'load more' button at the bottom until it stops -- then look at the "basic reloading" in their titles.

SFG and my course tends to run 3-4 hours.  We cover only reloading and the tools involved in the practice of reloading itself.  So we won't talk about bullet casting and stuff.  Just how to combine all the components together.  Each student also does this hands on and will make 10-12 rounds of ammo throughout the course of the class.

There was someone else that was offered a class as well, dunno what their current plans are.

Basically, getting into ammo reloading is about buying a handful of specialized tools (that can range from inexpensive <$150 total>, up to several hundred $$$ per piece) ... reading a lot of information ... and paying a lot of attention to detail.

Watch a whole bunch of youtube videos.  Digest as much as you can.  Also look into setup videos for how to setup reloading presses etc.  Either from official channels or from regular folks (official videos are nice, granted).

IE: for the Hornady LNL AP progressive, a regular Joe has put together a decent set of videos starting with:

hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2014, 09:39:08 PM »
Misleading, my friend.  I don't reload my self defense ammo and you don't either.

'Course Not.
   Not Being Suicidal and All That...........

But I do reload my practice ammo.    Bucketsfull.   
   Including .357Sig.

That's Pretty Much What Reloading is All About.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer