< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Holster Hunting  (Read 3045 times)

Offline thirtydaZe

• NFOA Full Member
Holster Hunting
« on: January 21, 2014, 01:36:15 PM »
I own a Foxx Trap holster (IWB), it's kydex or carbon fiber, however they market it.

http://www.foxxholsters.com/

I really love the thing, from the size, to the shape, and especially the belt clip (however i wish the clip was metal opposed to the plastic that it is.)

Anyhow, i'm looking for something comparable in Leather.  I checked, briefly, our resident leather guy didn't appear to do IWB, so i was hoping someone could point me into a quality, reliable direction.

BTW, the pic posted is a random image from google.

Offline landon410

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Holster Hunting
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 02:10:46 PM »
One of the guys at Guns Unlimited has custom leather holster made for all his guns by a  local guy. For that info you'd be best serve going into guns unlimited finding the short guy (maybe 40?) that is bald on top and just asking him.

I have a handmade leather IWB holster for my PF9 that a local guy made, but he doesnt have any molds for he actually needs to keep your gun for whatever amount of time it takes to mold the leather.

Offline sparky

• NFOA Full Member
  • Site Sponsor
    • Midwest Leather Works
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 03:04:37 PM »
I am starting a line of leather holsters that are very similar to this design.  I am trying to get caught up on the current work queue so I can continue with the pattern making for my current line of models.  Let me know the make and model of shooter your trying to fit and I'll see if I have that dummy model.
www.midwestleatherworks.com
matt@midwestleatherworks.com

Offline AWick

• Steel Benefactor
  • Home is where your armory is.
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 08:21:14 PM »
Nice choice on the M&P! I bought a Tagua leather holster from Guns Unlimited and enjoy the size of it. For me I needed a little more cant in the holster, especially in the summertime when I first started carrying. Also, the Tagua comes pretty stiff, so holstering and drawing the pistol is tight. I haven't broken mine in as I switched over to a White Hat Holster. I'll sell it for $20, bought it for $25 plus tax. Truly though, I recommend to all those out there to spend money on a good holster with a good reputation or your quality local leatherworker.
"Well-regulated" meant well equipped, trained and disciplined... not controlled with an iron fist.

Offline thirtydaZe

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2014, 09:38:39 PM »
Midwest Leather Works will be hooking me up.  Great to have a quality local option.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 08:11:36 AM »
I am starting a line of leather holsters that are very similar to this design.  I am trying to get caught up on the current work queue so I can continue with the pattern making for my current line of models.  Let me know the make and model of shooter your trying to fit and I'll see if I have that dummy model.

I'm very interested.  I would like an all-leather IWB holster for a CZ75.  I'll have to hit you up when you get caught up.

Offline RipTombstone

• NFOA Full Member
  • 44 spoke and sent lead and smoke and 17" of flame
    • Plum Creek Leatherworks
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2014, 12:51:47 PM »
I build one similar to that out of leather.
RipT
SASS Life 51139
http://www.freewebs.com/daltonmasterson/plumcreekleatherworks.htm

Facebook me at Plum Creek Leatherworks

Offline sparky

• NFOA Full Member
  • Site Sponsor
    • Midwest Leather Works
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2014, 10:32:03 AM »
I build one similar to that out of leather.
RipT
That looks nice, I'm doing one very similar but have been using a kydex clip and is tuckable.  Very nice work, is that lined?

Offline RipTombstone

• NFOA Full Member
  • 44 spoke and sent lead and smoke and 17" of flame
    • Plum Creek Leatherworks
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2014, 10:49:24 AM »
No not lined, just burnished and treated. I need to work up a tuckable version of a few of mine, but time gets away too often. I need a good weekend to do R&D and play instead of just building orders and table stock.
How do you like the kydex clips? I haven't messed with it too much yet, but have some kydex.
RipT
SASS Life 51139
http://www.freewebs.com/daltonmasterson/plumcreekleatherworks.htm

Facebook me at Plum Creek Leatherworks

Offline sparky

• NFOA Full Member
  • Site Sponsor
    • Midwest Leather Works
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2014, 10:57:20 AM »
I really like the kydex clips,  I find they don't tear up a gun belt as bad as metal,  but they are expensive and I don't build my own.  Also one of the big things I like about them is that if they get broken they are easily replaced, and the company I buy them from makes several versions for different people, C clips, j hooks and such.  R&D is one of my biggest issues also, I'm usually so busy with building orders I don't find much time for it.

Offline blind_hunter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2014, 01:41:04 PM »
check out fist holsters.  they sell them at the bullet hole

www.fist-inc.com