< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Lincoln Man Recovering After Accidental Shooting in Concealed Carry Class:  (Read 2046 times)

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
At Big Shots.

Here's the story:

http://www.1011now.com/home/headlines/Man-Recovering-After-Accidental-Shooting-in-Concealed-Carry-Class-202956941.html

Holstering is Dangerous.

Good thing he wasn't shooting his .44RemMag.

sfg
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 09:54:59 PM by SemperFiGuy »
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
Oops ...this was in 2013 ....
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 07:42:27 AM by bullit »

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
Oops ...this was in 2013 ....

Interesting........  Wondered why it wasn't already on the Forum.   As it happened,  It was directly linked to a very current news item.

Provides an opportunity for me to say that in my CHP classes, the shooters are required to holster "dry".   That is, no round in the chamber.   Empty tube.   

On command, they first draw, then rack the slide, chamber a round, then fire.   All the time, muzzle pointed downrange.

A bit unorthodox.  Not prohibited by NE State Patrol CHP rules.  And much safer than if holstering with a live round in the chamber.

Wouldn't use this procedure if all shooters involved were experienced, proficient handgun shooters.

But they aren't.   I can show Living Proof.   Not picking on my shooter-clients at all, but each class usually includes some Total Handgun Newbies.   Who have never holstered a handgun before.   And who sincerely intended to get to the range to practice before qualification shooting, but "just ran out of time".

That's About It For Now...........

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
Interesting........  Wondered why it wasn't already on the Forum.   As it happened,  It was directly linked to a very current news item.

Provides an opportunity for me to say that in my CHP classes, the shooters are required to holster "dry".   That is, no round in the chamber.   Empty tube.   

On command, they first draw, then rack the slide, chamber a round, then fire.   All the time, muzzle pointed downrange.

A bit unorthodox.  Not prohibited by NE State Patrol CHP rules.  And much safer than if holstering with a live round in the chamber.

Wouldn't use this procedure if all shooters involved were experienced, proficient handgun shooters.

But they aren't.   I can show Living Proof.   Not picking on my shooter-clients at all, but each class usually includes some Total Handgun Newbies.   Who have never holstered a handgun before.   And who sincerely intended to get to the range to practice before qualification shooting, but "just ran out of time".

That's About It For Now...........

sfg

You posted about holstering in the the thread back when it happened: http://nebraskafirearms.org/forum/index.php/topic,8844.msg62566.html#msg62566
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
You posted about holstering in the the thread back when it happened:

Thanks for the heads up.

Please don't tell Mrs. sfg.   It would only confirm what she already deeply suspects.

sfg

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
It's like what I told my wife when they built a memory center nearby:  The nice thing is that we'll get to meet our new neighbors for the first time every day.
"Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder." ~ FCK

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
Actually, kinda nice when you think about it:

Every day begins a Fresh New Day.

sfg

Offline 2550sx

• NFOA Full Member
wonder if he ended up completing the class got his CHP?

Offline RedDot

• NFOA Full Member
SFG, for what it's worth, I took your class with my wife and I felt safer on your firing line than I ever have at the BulletHole.  So as I see it, you just keep on doing what you're doing and maybe the lack of "unintended excitement" will make other instructors review their instruction techniques.  ;)

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
RedDot:

Like most sincere and committed CHP instructors (let's name Tom Howard, Chris Zeeb, Sean Whittington, among others), I do my best to do my duty, etc....

And feedback comments such as yours makes all that effort worth all the while.   It means that we're getting the Important Stuff across to the students.

(I hope you weren't one of the Frozen Few standing on the firing line waiting for a jam to be cleared on one of those Hellaciously Freezing Cold Days.)

Many Thanks.

sfg

Offline Dave1215

• Lead Benefactor

RedDot:

(I hope you weren't one of the Frozen Few standing on the firing line waiting for a jam to be cleared on one of those Hellaciously Freezing Cold Days.)

Many Thanks.

sfg

I think my wife and I were on that cold line you reference...must have been the coldest qualification in the history of CCW in Nebraska.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
.....must have been the coldest qualification in the history of CCW in Nebraska.

That day it was So Cold that some of the bullets froze in mid-air!

sfg

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
My relative took his CHP class that day and he said he lost feeling in his fingers.  He had several jams (HighPoint 9mm) that the instructor had to clear and he a hard time loading his magazine.  The instructor blamed the jams on the quality of the HighPoint.   We had gone target shooting several times and the HighPoint never jammed, but it wasn't below freezing.  I asked if he had wiped off the excess oil the last time he cleaned the HighPoint.  He said no.