< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Chicago visit, what are my rights?  (Read 1186 times)

Offline loader18

• NFOA Full Member
Chicago visit, what are my rights?
« on: January 25, 2014, 09:25:07 AM »
I'm visiting Chicago soon to visit family, I'm driving and want to bring my pistol, can I conceal carry? can I keep the gun loaded in a safe under my seat? I have NE CCP

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
Re: Chicago visit, what are my rights?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 09:28:32 AM »
im pretty sure that your answers are: No and No.  locked in a box in your trunk with ammo separate is best bet.

Chris Z is offering Illinois CCW classes, but its very expensive.

knife laws are different too.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline aceflyer

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 02:21:33 PM »
Illinois does not honor the NE CCP, nor really any other state.  Only Hawaii residents can even apply for the out-of-state permit because it is the only state they recognize as having "substantially similar" laws.  Keep it in the trunk, locked and unloaded with ammo separate.

Better yet, just boycott visiting Illinois.

Offline UPCrawfish

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 02:28:36 PM »
Have family come visit you if they can...  Much safer.

Offline sjwsti

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2014, 03:50:56 PM »
On previous visits to Chicago the wife and I each carried a Surefire Defender and a small fixed blade knife. The blade length must be less than 2.5in. 

Below is from http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/illinois.pdf regarding non-resident vehicle carry without an Illinois permit.

RV/Car Carry Without A Permit/License
NOTE: As the law states below, “is eligible to carry a firearm in public under the laws of his or her state or territory of residence.” This is a new law and no Administrative Rules have been written. The Law as written is not defined. Until the Illinois State Police define what will be acceptable as proof that you can legally carry a firearm in your home state Handgunlaw.us highly recommends you not vehicle carry without a valid permit/license from your state of residence while traveling in your vehicle in Illinois.

Section 40
(e) Nothing in this Act shall prohibit a non-resident from transporting a concealed firearm within his or her vehicle in Illinois, if the concealed firearm remains within his or her vehicle and the non-resident:
(1) is not prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm under federal law;
(2) is eligible to carry a firearm in public under the laws of his or her state or territory of residence; and
(3) is not in possession of a license under this Act. If the non-resident leaves his or her vehicle
Unattended, he or she shall store the firearm within a locked vehicle or locked container within the vehicle in accordance with subsection (b) of Section 65 of this Act.

Subsection (b) of Section 65 States:
(b) Notwithstanding subsections (a), (a-5), and (a-10) of this Section except under paragraph (22) or (23) of subsection (a), any licensee prohibited from carrying a concealed firearm into the parking area of a prohibited location specified in subsection (a), (a-5), or (a-10) of this Section shall be permitted to carry a concealed firearm on or about his or her person within a vehicle into the parking area and may store a firearm or ammunition concealed in a case within a locked vehicle or locked container out of plain view within the vehicle in the parking area. A licensee may carry a concealed firearm in the immediate area surrounding his or her vehicle within a prohibited parking lot area only for the limited purpose of storing or retrieving a firearm within the vehicle's trunk, provided the licensee ensures the concealed firearm is unloaded prior to exiting the vehicle. For purposes of this subsection, "case" includes a glove compartment or console that completely encloses the concealed firearm or ammunition, the trunk of the vehicle, or a firearm carrying box, shipping box, or other container.

Section 5. Definitions. As used in this Act:
"Concealed firearm" means a loaded or unloaded handgun carried on or about a person completely or mostly concealed from view of the public or on or about a person within a vehicle.
Note: If you stop you can store the loaded handgun in the vehicle in a closed compartment in a locked vehicle or in a locked case out of view in the vehicle. You can’t leave your vehicle with a loaded handgun. You must unload to transfer it to your trunk or to enter your motel room etc. You can store it as specified in the law above.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 03:53:58 PM by sjwsti »
"It's not what you know that will get you into trouble; it's what you know that isn't true"

www.88tactical.com