< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: First Steel Challenge match of the year! Sunday, January 19th at ENGC  (Read 2375 times)

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
ENPS will be holding the first Steel Challenge match of the year (and we'll be holding six this year, instead of five) this coming Sunday.

Weather is supposed to be relatively sunny and in the 40s, which is perfectly good shooting weather.  :)

We'll start setting up at 7:15am like normal, registration closes at 8:40am, new shooter meeting and safety briefing at that time, and the shooter's meeting at 9am.  Cost is only $15 for six stages, and if you are an SCSA member, let us know your number so we can get it in the database!  (If you aren't an SCSA member, or aren't even an ENGC member, that's okay---you can still shoot the match even if you don't belong to the club or to SCSA!)

If you've ever been interested in trying competition shooting, Steel Challenge is about the best way to do start.  You don't have to reload on the clock, most of the time you don't have to move on the clock (there is only one stage in Steel Challenge where movement on the clock is necessary, and we don't always shoot that stage), and if you are shooting rimfire, you don't even have to draw from a holster.

So you can concentrate on shooting accurately and quickly, and you don't have to worry about anything else.

All the targets are steel and ring nicely, so you'll know immediately if you got your hits. 

We don't have any age limits (young OR old :) ) on shooters, as long as they can handle firearms safely.  The rules are very straightforward, and everyone is happy to help you if you've got any questions.

If you've never tried a competition before, try one this year.  If you HAVE shot before---you already know how much fun a Steel Challenge match can be.

Info in General about Steel Challenge:  http://nebraskafirearms.org/forum/index.php/topic,6854.0.html

Info about what equipment you need for a Steel Challenge match: 

Info about safety and such at ENPS matches:  http://nebraskafirearms.org/forum/index.php/topic,7025.0.html

It is really easy, folks: 
1) If shooting rimfire, bring a gun in a bag, and between 3 and 5 magazines (more is better).  If shooting centerfire, bring a gun in a bag, a safe belt holster that covers the trigger guard, and between 3 and 5 magazines (more is still better).  Oh, and bring ammo.  :)

2) Walk up to the shed, register and tell them you are new, then find some guy setting up a stage and help out.  While helping, ask all the questions you need answered. 

3) Head to the new shooter briefing at 8:40, ask any questions you haven't gotten answered yet.  Then listen to the announcements at the 9am shooter's meeting, head over to your squad, and HAVE A GREAT TIME SHOOTING!  (When you get to your squad, let them know you are a new shooter.  That way they know to check to see if you have any questions.)

It is a good time, folks.  :)  See you at the range on Sunday!
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
Re: First Steel Challenge match of the year! Sunday, January 19th at ENGC
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 07:48:13 PM »
Supposed to be beautiful tomorrow---see you at the range at 7:15 to set up!

Offline NENick

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 08:47:23 PM »
I'll there. Bag is packed and I'm ready to sling some .22! :D

Offline Mudnrox

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2014, 07:33:32 PM »
Great Day for shooting today!

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2014, 08:44:55 PM »
Good to see everyone out there today! 

71 shooters showed up for the match today---and I hope you all had a good time. If we could get some more ROs, we'd be able to split into smaller squads, and have the match go a little faster, hint, hint....

...remember, we have an RO class in March.  :P

Apologies for the delay at the beginning of the match----we were trying some new technology, and the interface with the printer was NOT doing what it was supposed to do.  We had squadding finished, but printing was just not happening.  It'll be fixed by next time, so we won't have that issue again.

At the match, a number of people shot really, really well.  I personally, shot like someone who needed to learn trigger control, however.  Looking at my current scores and comparing them to my historical scores on the steelchallenge.com site which you can do IF YOU ARE AN SCSA MEMBER (hint, hint!) I was about 4 seconds off my best pace on four out of the six stages.  Total time slower than what I can actually do:  16 seconds.

What does that mean?  Nothing, really.  Just making excuses.... :) ...which I need to do before people see the final scores!

At least I set a new personal best stage score for Smoke 'N Hope.  (Not best individual run time, but best personal stage score.)

Scores have been entered into the official scoring program for Steel Challenge (and 2059 individual string scores later, I'm tired of hand-entering scores) and the results have been output to the steelchallenge.com website. 

If you go there:  http://www.steelchallenge.com/steel-challenge-display-match-results.php

...you can look at them.  That being said, the overall scores and such will also be posted to the http://easternnebraskapracticalshooters.com website later this evening, so you can of course check there just like normal.

Congrats to the various division winners------and hopefully we'll see you all (plus MORE people!) at the next Steel Challenge match on February 16th.

Offline justsomeguy

• Defender of the Constitution
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2014, 09:05:33 PM »
Jeez man, don't you watch football?
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit. The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are." - Marcus Aurelius

Offline AWick

• Steel Benefactor
  • Home is where your armory is.
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2014, 09:09:22 PM »
Great Day for shooting today!

Quit lying... it was -20 and had 6" of snow.... oh you mean it was 65 out and I was couped up inside... I'll have to pretend it was cold so I can feel better about myself.
"Well-regulated" meant well equipped, trained and disciplined... not controlled with an iron fist.

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2014, 09:13:51 PM »

Why?

I could be SHOOTING!

Offline Mudnrox

• Powder Benefactor

Offline NENick

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2014, 09:34:31 PM »
Shooting is at least 100% better than watching football.

Offline justsomeguy

• Defender of the Constitution
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2014, 09:55:43 PM »
Shooting is at least 100% better than watching football.

Hey, shooting is my life but I still take time out for football.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit. The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are." - Marcus Aurelius

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2014, 05:37:03 AM »
Why?

I could be SHOOTING!

What he said!

Offline kurtbec

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2014, 02:49:48 PM »
The match was a serious good time.  My son and his friend had a blast shooting .22 rifles and can't wait for the February match!  Now I just gotta find some more .22 ammo  :o

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2014, 05:05:31 PM »
As an amusing statistic, over eleven thousand rounds were shot at this match alone.

(71 shooters x 155 minimum rounds per shooter -- 145 for a perfect match, plus 10 extra rounds per each shooter for makeup shots.)

...and that's a VERY conservative estimate, I'll note.  I'm pretty sure that the average shooter had MANY more extra shots than 10 for the match.  More like....well.  Ahem.  More than 10.

Put it this way---every shooter shot 29 strings of fire.  Even if they only averaged ONE extra shot per string, that's actually 12,354 rounds shot in just this one match.  Truthfully, I'm thinking it was easily over 12,500 rounds.  In one day.  In one match.

Good times!

Offline dcjulie

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2014, 09:31:20 PM »
Oh, I KNOW there were a lot more rounds than that fired down-range!  We had several people on our squad (myself included) who apparently hadn't picked up a gun in a LONG time.  Oh, and we also decided that some of those smaller plates that were so far away were moving around downrange.  That had to be the only reason why we couldn't hit them! :)