< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: R.I.P 9mm bullet  (Read 5635 times)

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
Re: R.I.P 9mm bullet
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2014, 01:44:17 PM »
In another promotional video, they show a lot of full auto shooting into ballistic gel.  What the hell does that prove?

Fly

Isn't ballistic gel supposed to mimic human flesh?   The theory is that what it does to the gel it will do to the body.  ???
One thing for sure, that bullet will blow up upon hitting just about anything, so traversing 3 or 4 walls and killing Sally Bystander two apartments down isn't likely to happen.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2014, 01:47:54 PM »
In another promotional video, they show a lot of full auto shooting into ballistic gel.  What the hell does that prove?

Fly

That full auto is awesome?

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2014, 01:58:08 PM »
Isn't ballistic gel supposed to mimic human flesh?   The theory is that what it does to the gel it will do to the body.

Understood, but how is full auto supposed to demonstrate the lethality of that bullet or any other?  If you fire RN bullets out of a full auto, there will not be much difference in the devastation it causes.  30 holes in a person penetrating multiple organs is not going to be greatly improved by their bullet.

fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2014, 02:58:51 PM »

Prove?  Nothing.  But it certainly gets a certain class of people all excited about the ammo.  (I just love the fact that in the video, they later show a trillion of the shards all about 2 inches into uncalibrated ballistic gel, meaning that much of the round is effectively useless for actual defense.)
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline RedDot

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2014, 05:16:29 PM »
I'm sure I'll be wishing I had this stuff the next time I'm attacked by a water balloon.  :D

Is there a specific training class for that? ;D

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2014, 08:03:48 PM »
Is there a specific training class for that? ;D

jthhapkido, think there's a market for a class like this?   :laugh:

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2014, 08:41:59 PM »
jthhapkido, think there's a market for a class like this?   :laugh:

I don't think I could stand teaching it.

Offline AWick

• Steel Benefactor
  • Home is where your armory is.
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2014, 10:03:01 PM »
This is a company in CO that has been developing a new bullet as well. I found them when I looked up the bio on my new CEO and found out that he is listed on their board of directors. One of my questions would be how "devastating" the peripheral fragments would be.

http://www.mibullet.com/

"Well-regulated" meant well equipped, trained and disciplined... not controlled with an iron fist.

Offline HuskerXDM

• 2014 NFOA Firearms Rights Champion
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2014, 03:22:56 AM »
I don't think I could stand teaching it.
But if it was water balloon zombies that would be awesome!
The master has failed more than the beginner has even tried.

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2014, 05:29:52 AM »
This is a company in CO that has been developing a new bullet as well. I found them when I looked up the bio on my new CEO and found out that he is listed on their board of directors. One of my questions would be how "devastating" the peripheral fragments would be.

http://www.mibullet.com/

Think I will stick to Hornady critical defense or similar products, thank you very much

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2014, 05:36:00 AM »
But if it was water balloon zombies that would be awesome!

Ok, THAT I could do.  :)

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2014, 08:44:47 AM »
uncalibrated ballistic gel,

I must have missed that part.  Where is it?

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2014, 08:50:07 AM »
One of my questions would be how "devastating" the peripheral fragments would be. 

Probably  no more than being hit by a maximum of four bullets at once.   However,  notice the tether.   It looks like it would create a rather devastating slice and dice wound.

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2014, 09:56:58 AM »
I must have missed that part.  Where is it?

They didn't say uncalibrated.  However, they didn't say "calibrated" either, and if you've seen actual calibrated ballistics gel (which I assume you have) then you know it simply is NOT the wonderfully clear wobbly jello-like substance that is in the videos. 

They have another video that supposedly includes FBI-requirement-specific ballistic gel (and the video has several things about it that make me go "hmmm...." though the gel itself seems to be all right) and in it you can see that the gel is noticeably more translucent-heading-towards-opaque and firm.  (And unsurprisingly, the small fragments did not penetrate very much.)

Regarding the other type of round:
Probably  no more than being hit by a maximum of four bullets at once.   However,  notice the tether.   It looks like it would create a rather devastating slice and dice wound.

Given the round at hand, I doubt it would be anything like being hit by four bullets at once.  The tether would automatically preclude much in the way of penetration, and while it would probably create a nice scary-looking surface wound (lots of visible blood) it would surprise me greatly if it in any way managed any sort of actual stop on the attacker similar to regular self-defense JHP ammunition.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2014, 10:21:06 AM »
I'm all for innovation, but I think the lesson to be learned here is that when your life is on the line it's best to stick to proven solutions unless something measurably better comes along. 

Offline landon410

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2014, 10:40:15 AM »
you want an effective shotgun round with lots of stopping power?
its next to a 223 casing for reference

this other shotgun round is just for people who can't aim.
I've said this time and time again, 99% of the time any criminal who sees you pull a gun is going to hightail it out of there, they won't yell "time out" to eye ball how big your muzzle is to guessimate what caliber youre pointing at them, they'll just go.
They also aren't going to think to themselves "i could take a couple rounds of 22LR to the chest and still accomplish what I want"

nope, they're gonna book it, why? because their sissies who can't ball up and live life as they're supposed to

Offline jscottjr

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2014, 01:00:24 PM »
Understood, but how is full auto supposed to demonstrate the lethality of that bullet or any other?  If you fire RN bullets out of a full auto, there will not be much difference in the devastation it causes.  30 holes in a person penetrating multiple organs is not going to be greatly improved by their bullet.

fly

The only reason I can think of is demonstrating feeding reliability?

Offline AWick

• Steel Benefactor
  • Home is where your armory is.
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2014, 01:04:01 PM »
I'm not saying that the Mi-3 is a wonder bullet. I do think it will have its place, even a small space, in the future market. I also would LOVE to think I never miss, but any advantage is better than none. A near instant 8-10" spread would be great if you are diving over furnature to your closest weapon to defend your house. Maybe I should take an operator instruction course! :D The article has this quote:

“According to national law enforcement statistics, more than 90% of shots fired in life and death situations miss their mark,”

I would like to see how effective this is against a denim-gel combo. They have 3 different lethality versions based on the density of the components. Also if you were to hit a guy with a peripheral fragment, I wonder if then other connected pieces would whip around and impact on the back side.

As for the high-tailing bad guy, awhile back my buddy was in the shower when a BG broke into his 2nd floor apartment. My buddy heard him, jumped out and grabbed his shotgun behind his bedroom door and the mere shucking of a round into the chamber caused the BG to jump out the balcony. So you're absolutely right!
"Well-regulated" meant well equipped, trained and disciplined... not controlled with an iron fist.

Offline bwarner

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2014, 02:07:26 PM »
20 rounds are 45.00 to 50.00 bucks a box.

Offline barmandr

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2014, 03:43:56 PM »
20 rounds are 45.00 to 50.00 bucks a box.

Where?  I'll buy all they have.  A 20rd box on gunbroker is anywhere from $200 and up and has sold for over $400 sometimes.