< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: OTF and auto knives in Lincoln and elsewhere in Nebraska.  (Read 4362 times)

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
OTF and auto knives in Lincoln and elsewhere in Nebraska.
« on: February 01, 2020, 10:33:53 AM »
Trying to find recent information about pocket knives in Nebraska, by which I mean blades under 3.5" per Nebraska law.

This is one of the most recent threads and it mentions the restrictive rules in Hastings, but to me that's no big deal, and just one more reason why I've never gone and never want to go to Hastings.   :laugh:    https://nebraskafirearms.org/online_community/index.php/topic,11107.0.html

My oldest kid saw an OTF knife at the gun show lately and thinks he needs one.  I don't because I think they're pointless, but I'm still curious about the law and whether it's legal.    I do have a Boeker auto (not "assisted opening) lying around somewhere that I purchased in Lithuania, and customs never asked about it.   Curious about that too.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 10:37:00 AM by ILoveCats »
"Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder." ~ FCK

Offline LJUnaTIC

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
  • On the Fringe
Re: OTF and auto knives in Lincoln and elsewhere in Nebraska.
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2020, 02:26:00 PM »
Both the OTF and the Boker auto are activated by a button and considered switch blades and are banned in Lincoln.

LINCOLN MUNICIPAL CODE
TITLE 9 PUBLIC PEACE AND WELFARE
Chapter 9.36 WEAPONS
9.36.040 Unlawful to Sell or Possess Switch-Blade Knife.
It shall be unlawful for any person to sell, give away, or furnish to another person any switch-blade knife; and it shall be unlawful for any person to have in his or her possession, custody, or control any switch-blade knife. (Ord. 15625 §4; July 9, 1990: P.C. §9.28.030: Ord. 3489 §9-101.1, as amended by Ord. 6284; February 20, 1956).
« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 02:36:29 PM by LJUnaTIC »
"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! - I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2020, 04:42:00 PM »
Thanks!

Come to think of it, I gave that Boeker away years ago.    I had forgotten about that.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2020, 09:02:39 AM »
Hastings, too has an ordinance prohibiting switch blades.

Offline Atrus

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2020, 01:15:24 PM »
My oldest kid saw an OTF knife at the gun show lately and thinks he needs one.  I don't because I think they're pointless,

Pointless knives don't seem very useful. You could probably regrind the tip, though.  ;)

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2020, 04:07:19 PM »
I knew when I typed that, I was inviting a comment like that.  LOL

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2020, 09:28:32 AM »
Two Schools of Thought on Knives:

>Slashing
>Poking

Pointless knives can still be used for slashing.

Just Sayin'................

Just be on the lookout for Pointless Remarks.
Thassall.

[Anonymously Posted/Never Mind Who]
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline David Hineline

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2020, 10:53:40 PM »
My Schrade OTF knife has no button but a pusher on the rear of the blade to get it started moving out the front.
Machinegun owners blow thier load with one pull of the trigger

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2020, 03:33:30 PM »
Both the OTF and the Boker auto are activated by a button and considered switch blades and are banned in Lincoln.

LINCOLN MUNICIPAL CODE
TITLE 9 PUBLIC PEACE AND WELFARE
Chapter 9.36 WEAPONS
9.36.040 Unlawful to Sell or Possess Switch-Blade Knife.
It shall be unlawful for any person to sell, give away, or furnish to another person any switch-blade knife; and it shall be unlawful for any person to have in his or her possession, custody, or control any switch-blade knife. (Ord. 15625 §4; July 9, 1990: P.C. §9.28.030: Ord. 3489 §9-101.1, as amended by Ord. 6284; February 20, 1956).

Resurrecting this thread out of interest in the topic.  I was just at the Lincoln Scheels and they sell OTF knives.  They said that they are legal in Lincoln so long as the blade extends with the push of a button, but does not also retract automatically.  (They showed me how their S&W versions there require a convoluted process to close the blade of pressing in on one button while bulling back on another.)  They said outside the city limits at DE Guns, you can buy the version that extends and retracts automatically.

Interesting.   Sounds a little odd to me, but they're a big and well-managed organization from what I can tell.  I can't imagine they'd sell them if they hadn't received a legal opinion.

I will say, if I bought one there I'd be sure to keep the receipt and perhaps pass on a little blame, just in case I'd been given bad advice.

Offline Otterf18

• NFOA Board of Directors
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2020, 04:43:42 PM »
Thanks!

Come to think of it, I gave that Boeker away years ago.    I had forgotten about that.

😂
Sheldon Otto - NFOA Board Treasurer

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
- Samuel Adams, Massachusetts Ratifying Convention, 1788

Offline hilowe

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2020, 08:41:29 AM »
I want to add on a question.

Saw a recent post on Facebook by the Omaha police department, that they arrested someone over the weekend at one of the "protests" with two knives (after the person did something else that warranted their attention, I think this person was one of the first ones to pull down the tape at headquarters this weekend), and they were adding on two concealed weapons charges.

So, can anyone tell me if there is a specific Omaha ordinance about knives? Was it because they were considering this a political event (therefore, concealed carry of a firearm would have been illegal)? Them throwing stuff at the wall to see what will stick?

I couldn't fine anything Omaha specific when I searched, and I thought Nebraska had changed the laws recently regarding the 3.5" to include intent (ie, just carrying a large knife, like a kitchen knife, didn't automatically become a deadly weapon).

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2020, 03:50:36 PM »
Nebraska has not updated "intent".  Legislation attempting to correct what define a "concealed weapon" died last session. 

With regards to Omaha, I suspect ... and this is simply an off the cuff guess ... it the arrested individual was carrying a knife concealed what had a blade longer than 3.5 inches.  Likely, too, a "stack on charge". 

Bear in mind, the "Political event" term specifically applies to the Concealed Handgun Permit Act i.e. a permit holder carrying a concealed handgun.