Gear & Equipment > Knives and cutting tools

Nebraska/Omaha knife laws I should know about?

(1/3) > >>

mott555:
I'm finding out that Nebraska is much stricter than Missouri with firearms laws, I suppose I should research knives too just so I don't get in trouble over a stupid mistake.

I have a 3.5" Remington folding knife for every-day carry. (One of these: http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/880x660/Primary/586/586691.jpg) It is not necessarily concealed, it is clipped to the inside of my pocket and the clip and part of the handle is often visible. Some of my shirts do cover my pockets. Does this count as a concealed weapon?

I also have a 4.4" Smith & Wesson SWBG2TS Border Guard (one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Smith-Wesson-SWBG2TS-Serrated-Seatbelt/dp/B0037F1B9E) rescue knife in the center console of my pickup. Honestly it's a POS, cheap metal and won't sharpen, but I keep it for the glass-breaker and seatbelt cutter. Any issues keeping this in my vehicle? (In Missouri I was fine because I had a CCW.)

RobertH:
a knife is anything over 3.5".  knives cannot be concealed since the in NE we have a CHP, not a CCW.  we can conceal handguns only, not knives, etc.

thirtydaZe:

--- Quote from: RobertH on January 31, 2014, 11:37:50 AM ---a knife is anything over 3.5".  knives cannot be concealed since the in NE we have a CHP, not a CCW.  we can conceal handguns only, not knives, etc.

--- End quote ---

so anything 3.5 and under, we can cram into our pocket, and forget it right?

RobertH:

--- Quote from: thirtydaZe on January 31, 2014, 11:47:21 AM ---so anything 3.5 and under, we can cram into our pocket, and forget it right?

--- End quote ---

if i understand it, anything under 3.5" is not considered a knife.  (some one correct me if i'm wrong)

ETA: that is state law, i do not know about all local laws.  i think some cities are shorter.  also don't forget about automatic knives are a no-no in Lincoln, etc.

bkent:
There's also city code to think about:

http://www.cityofhastings.org/city_code/chapter21.pdf

21-101. Carrying concealed weapons. No person in the City shall wear under his or her clothes, or conceal about his or her person, or display in a threatening manner, any dangerous or deadly weapon including, including but not limited to, any pistol, revolver, sling shot, cross-knuckles or knuckles of lead, brass or other meta l, or any bowie knife, or any knife resembling a bowie knife, or any knife with a switch-blade or device whereby the blade or blades can be opened by a flick of a button, pressure on the handle or other mechanical contrivance, or a pocket knife having a blade of more than three inches in length. No thing in this section shall prohibit the carrying of a concealed handgun in a manner otherwise consistent with Neb. Rev. St. § 69-2427 et. seq., known as the Concealed Handgun Permit Act or 18 United States Code 926, known as the Law Enforcement Officer’s Safety A

Kent

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version