< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Nebraska/Omaha knife laws I should know about?  (Read 9706 times)

Offline mott555

• NFOA Full Member
Nebraska/Omaha knife laws I should know about?
« on: January 31, 2014, 10:48:30 AM »
I'm finding out that Nebraska is much stricter than Missouri with firearms laws, I suppose I should research knives too just so I don't get in trouble over a stupid mistake.

I have a 3.5" Remington folding knife for every-day carry. (One of these: http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/880x660/Primary/586/586691.jpg) It is not necessarily concealed, it is clipped to the inside of my pocket and the clip and part of the handle is often visible. Some of my shirts do cover my pockets. Does this count as a concealed weapon?

I also have a 4.4" Smith & Wesson SWBG2TS Border Guard (one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Smith-Wesson-SWBG2TS-Serrated-Seatbelt/dp/B0037F1B9E) rescue knife in the center console of my pickup. Honestly it's a POS, cheap metal and won't sharpen, but I keep it for the glass-breaker and seatbelt cutter. Any issues keeping this in my vehicle? (In Missouri I was fine because I had a CCW.)

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
Re: Nebraska/Omaha knife laws I should know about?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 11:37:50 AM »
a knife is anything over 3.5".  knives cannot be concealed since the in NE we have a CHP, not a CCW.  we can conceal handguns only, not knives, etc.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline thirtydaZe

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 11:47:21 AM »

a knife is anything over 3.5".  knives cannot be concealed since the in NE we have a CHP, not a CCW.  we can conceal handguns only, not knives, etc.

so anything 3.5 and under, we can cram into our pocket, and forget it right?

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 12:09:19 PM »
so anything 3.5 and under, we can cram into our pocket, and forget it right?

if i understand it, anything under 3.5" is not considered a knife.  (some one correct me if i'm wrong)

ETA: that is state law, i do not know about all local laws.  i think some cities are shorter.  also don't forget about automatic knives are a no-no in Lincoln, etc.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 12:12:29 PM by RobertH »
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline bkent

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 02:24:31 PM »
There's also city code to think about:

http://www.cityofhastings.org/city_code/chapter21.pdf

21-101. Carrying concealed weapons. No person in the City shall wear under his or her clothes, or conceal about his or her person, or display in a threatening manner, any dangerous or deadly weapon including, including but not limited to, any pistol, revolver, sling shot, cross-knuckles or knuckles of lead, brass or other meta l, or any bowie knife, or any knife resembling a bowie knife, or any knife with a switch-blade or device whereby the blade or blades can be opened by a flick of a button, pressure on the handle or other mechanical contrivance, or a pocket knife having a blade of more than three inches in length. No thing in this section shall prohibit the carrying of a concealed handgun in a manner otherwise consistent with Neb. Rev. St. § 69-2427 et. seq., known as the Concealed Handgun Permit Act or 18 United States Code 926, known as the Law Enforcement Officer’s Safety A

Kent

Offline jFader

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2014, 04:48:52 PM »
http://www.knifeup.com/nebraska-knife-laws/

I was looking at this site a few months ago....seems like comprehensive info...looks like 3.5" is the magic # on quite a few
The 2nd Amendment is not open for debate!

NRA Member
SAF Life Member
Proud NFOA Member

Offline jFader

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2014, 04:52:16 PM »
Wow....I just read through it better....

Read to where it talks about the nebraska supreme court case from 2000.....apparently even a 1" blade could be considered concealed. I'd fight that & hopefully the Leo would not even go there.

Why do Nebraska laws seem to favor the criminals?
The 2nd Amendment is not open for debate!

NRA Member
SAF Life Member
Proud NFOA Member

Offline mott555

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2014, 09:58:00 AM »
http://www.knifeup.com/nebraska-knife-laws/

I was looking at this site a few months ago....seems like comprehensive info...looks like 3.5" is the magic # on quite a few

Okay. I'll probably get rid of my 4.4" S&W knife. I can't even get it sharp so it's kind of worthless. I have a friend back in Missouri who's a knife collector, I'm sure he'll take it off my hands. Not worth risking legal trouble over a crappy knife.

Is the 3.5" rule inclusive or exclusive? My EDC knife is 3.5" (never was a concern before because the limit is 4" in MO). Would it be worth grinding an 1/8th inch or so off just to be on the safe side?

Offline DenmanShooter

• NFOA Full Member
  • Fear No Evil
    • SolidRed
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2014, 03:46:44 PM »
4.4" Smith & Wesson SWBG2TS Border Guard (one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Smith-Wesson-SWBG2TS-Serrated-Seatbelt/dp/B0037F1B9E) rescue knife in the center console of my pickup.

I think the operative phrase in the law is "concealed" and "on your person". 

The golf course is a willful and deliberate misuse of a perfectly good rifle range!      Jeff  Cooper

Offline Kodiak

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2014, 01:56:30 PM »
I will tell you one thing I've learned from a few friends that are cops.  It's not a law, but a good way of phrasing things.  First, I've yet to meet a cop who has a problem with you having a basic knife on you as long as you're not a scum bag.  All the same.  Never say it's for self defense.  It's always a tool.  Which is accurate. I keep a knife on me whenever possible. I've used it hundreds of times, cutting open packages and the like.  I've never once used it in self defense. 

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2014, 10:08:33 PM »
A couple of questions which may have been answered before on the forum.  If the knife has a clip so that the clip and/or one end of the knife can be seen, then that is NOT concealed?  In this case, knife length is not limited?

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline Jito463

• Site Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2018, 02:08:34 PM »
also don't forget about automatic knives are a no-no in Lincoln, etc.

Automatic knives?  Something like this? :D

Offline Jito463

• Site Administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2018, 02:18:39 PM »
There's also city code to think about:

http://www.cityofhastings.org/city_code/chapter21.pdf

21-101. Carrying concealed weapons. No person in the City shall wear under his or her clothes, or conceal about his or her person, or display in a threatening manner, any dangerous or deadly weapon including, including but not limited to, any pistol, revolver, sling shot, cross-knuckles or knuckles of lead, brass or other meta l, or any bowie knife, or any knife resembling a bowie knife, or any knife with a switch-blade or device whereby the blade or blades can be opened by a flick of a button, pressure on the handle or other mechanical contrivance, or a pocket knife having a blade of more than three inches in length. No thing in this section shall prohibit the carrying of a concealed handgun in a manner otherwise consistent with Neb. Rev. St. § 69-2427 et. seq., known as the Concealed Handgun Permit Act or 18 United States Code 926, known as the Law Enforcement Officer’s Safety A

Kent

Wow, sounds like that would include the Kershaw knife I bought recently.  It has a lever on one end to flip it open.  Not that it would directly affect me, fortunately.  I don't visit Hastings or even drive through there.

https://www.amazon.com/Kershaw-Pocketknife-Satin-Finished-Glass-Filled-Reversible/dp/B00172A3DE?SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-d-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B00172A3DE

On an unrelated note, the site I bought it from (via an ad through an NRA-ILA e-mail, no less) claimed it was a "$50" knife.  It's on Amazon for only $1 more than I paid for it from them.  Yeah, that's a high-dollar knife, alright.  ::)

Offline Jito463

• Site Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2018, 02:29:11 PM »
D'oh!  I just realized how old this thread was.  I was browsing through and didn't pay attention to the last posted dates, heh.

Offline eelstrebor1

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2018, 10:31:42 AM »
Just another reason why I say that all weapons laws should not fall under criminal law.
"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." - Thomas Jefferson

Member SAF, GOA, NFOA, USCCA