< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Home robbery - firearms stolen  (Read 12993 times)

Offline monkeyboy

• Powder Benefactor
Re: Home robbery - firearms stolen
« Reply #60 on: March 20, 2016, 01:15:12 PM »
Frankly,any safe can be gotten into given enough time.I think layers of security need to be used,monitored security systems,motion lights outside,notifying trusted neighbors when your gone for an extended period of time,etc.Nothing is 100% but the more layers you have,the better your chances. FWIW--Mike.

Offline Phantom

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #61 on: March 20, 2016, 02:35:47 PM »
$150 is not enough, my question though is the $850 safe really much better ($700 better)?  Both can be broken into.

My daughter hangs with the rougher crowds.  My goal is to keep a couple teenage boys who may have a few hours in my house away from my valuables.

A $150 cabinet can be broken into with a couple large screwdrivers but is a $850 safe going to keep them out?
They aren't going to be able to steal It very easily that's for sure.

What You have to realize first here .....is a Lock will only keep an "honest person" honest. :o

That being said .....if they want in they Will get in (Period).  :(

All you can do is to make it harder for them to do so.
And too also slow them down as much as possible while doing it.

So you have to look at the $800 Vs. the $150 with those items above in mind. 

Also remember that $150 cabinet is most likely light enough one person could pick it up
and carry it quickly away (even if it's full loaded) the $800 one....not so much.

Most thief's will avoid the $800 safe  but would quickly and readily attack the $150 cabinet .
The reason being...that one takes longer then the other to open and it isn't worth their time (unless they can quickly remove it and take it some where else so they can take their time to open it).
( Or you were Stupid enough to leave the Key or Code to said Safe where it can be readily found).

And most will tell you that TIME is not their friend

Good luck with what ever you decide.

By the way ...I own one of the $800 dollar ones my self.  ;D

« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 02:40:26 PM by Phantom »
"If the primates that we came from had known that someday politicians would come out of the...the gene pool, they'd a stayed up in the trees and written evolution off as a bad idea.....Hell, I always thought the opposable thumb was overrated.  "-- Sheridan, "Babylon 5"

Offline depserv

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #62 on: March 20, 2016, 04:13:31 PM »
I remember years ago seeing an ad in Shotgun News for a boobytrap tear gas device that would fill an area with tear gas when a tripline was activated.  It could be rigged up to a door, drawer, window, etc., as well as an actual tripline.  I don't know if such a thing is still available but it should be easy to rig one up with a can of pepper spray and a weight that can set down on the button when a trigger is activated.  The Black Book of Boobytraps from Delta Press has a lot of information on rigging and triggering that can be adapted to tear gas or pepper spray.

That kind of thing could have a deterrent effect, and be another level of safety between your guns and a thief, in addition to whatever else you use.  I'd use the pepper spray that includes identifying dye.  Boobytraps are generally illegal but I'm not sure about one that activates tear gas.  Might set you up for a lawsuit I suppose.  I'd check with a lawyer before setting one, and he'll probably tell you not to do it.

The same kind of thing can be done with something that makes noise, flashing lights, or anything that might run a thief off.   
The liberal cult seeks destruction of the American Republic like water seeks low ground.

Offline RLMoeller

• Sponsor- NFOA Firearm Raffle at the 2009 Big Buck Classic. 2010 Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #63 on: March 20, 2016, 04:22:42 PM »
I remember years ago seeing an ad in Shotgun News for a boobytrap tear gas device that would fill an area with tear gas when a tripline was activated.  It could be rigged up to a door, drawer, window, etc., as well as an actual tripline.  I don't know if such a thing is still available but it should be easy to rig one up with a can of pepper spray and a weight that can set down on the button when a trigger is activated.  The Black Book of Boobytraps from Delta Press has a lot of information on rigging and triggering that can be adapted to tear gas or pepper spray.

Current, similar product....
http://www.burglarbomb.com/

Offline Lmbass14

• Powder Benefactor
  • Red Horse - Semper Ducimus
« Reply #64 on: March 21, 2016, 07:51:13 AM »
Wrote this several years ago when I was looking at safes.  A K-12 saw will eat through anything though.

Did a lot of research on safes.  The following are my findings:

- Don't buys safes from Mexico or foreign countries.  Liberty, Canon and Fort Knox (there may be more but these are the ones I'm most familiar with) are made in U.S.A.

- Fire rating should be longer than how fast the fire dept. can respond to your house + 30 min. just in case they are on another call.  And at least 95,000 btu's.  The bottom line is to make sure that the interior of the safe stays as cool as possible.

- Locking bolts should be at least 1 1/8 in dia. on all four sides.  Some expensive safes have locking bolts on the corners also since that is the weakest part of a safe.

- Hinges should be on the outside (door open wider), a common statement is than the BG's can cut the hinges.  Don't think so.  First off, the BG time is limited so they need to bring a portable torch or saws all and 2nd the longer throw of bolts and pry guards on the safe will make the BG life harder.

- Should have interior lighting and humidity control.

- Guns procreate so get a safe 1 and 1/2 times of your long guns.

- The safe should be bolted down (either floor or wall).  That way the bad guys can't tip it over for easier access or remove it from the home.  Not in the garage.  In the basement out of view.

- The better safes have 11 gauge sheet metal or thicker ( lower number is thicker)

- Electronic vs Dial - mixed emotions on that one, but get the brand should be Sargent and Greenleaf (they make the best locks).

- Place a "Black Powder Inside" label on the safe even though you don't have any.  The BG don't know either.

- Buy the best safe you can afford.

- Have them deliver and install the safe.  Might cost a couple hundred more, but to me it's worth it.  That way I don't have to visit the back cracker.  Not curbside.  Good safes weigh 800 lbs +, plus they do that for a living.

Can't think of anything else worth noting.

Bernie

Offline Mali

• NFOA Full Member
  • My life, my rights.
« Reply #65 on: March 21, 2016, 11:57:21 AM »
Great info!  I had been doing a little research and found some of the info, but I really appreciate the additional tidbits.

Based on your comment about installation (I was thinking the same thing) it would be better to get the safe through a safe company than through the local bulk stores (Cabelas, Scheels), correct?
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

Offline Atrus

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #66 on: March 21, 2016, 05:05:45 PM »
Hey, guys. First post (I lurk a lot, but this is the first topic I think I have something to add to).

Another thing to think of is locating the safe in a location where the space works to your advantage by denying a thief leverage. I've seen safes installed in a recessed space just wide enough for the safe, or in a corner with the left side butted up against a solid wall and a heavy cabinet that protrudes farther than the safe on the right side, which limits the traveling distance a crowbar has. I imagine you could do something similar by placing it at the back of a narrow or walk-in closet. Granted these require some planning (the ones I'm familiar with were done as part of a house renovation) and it prevents the door from opening more than 90 degrees.

Offline zofoman

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #67 on: March 21, 2016, 07:23:58 PM »
I've seen these in person and they are what they say they are.   The next safe I buy will be from here.   http://www.armoryexpressoutlet.com/SAFES--VAULTS-CUSTOM-CLICK-HERE_c_226.html
They are not cheap, but they are excellent investments than can be passed on to family members some day.
"What, me worry?"  ~ Alfred E. Neuman

Offline depserv

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #68 on: March 22, 2016, 10:39:56 AM »
If a good safe weighs 800 pounds or more and being filled with guns I suppose could bump it up even more, is there any risk that a floor might collapse under it?  Maybe someone here knows more than I do about how much weight a typical floor can safely hold.  And how about nontypical floors?  Is there a code on how much weight a floor is supposed to be able to hold?  Just a few things to consider.  A basement floor would be ideal, but not everyone has that option. 
The liberal cult seeks destruction of the American Republic like water seeks low ground.

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #69 on: April 01, 2016, 10:27:30 AM »
I guess it's been too long since I've logged in here - didn't realize there were replies.  Oops.

As for an update to the Stoeger that was recovered...

The Bellevue PD has it.  I've been in contact with Sgt. Milos etc.  Friendly guy.

Apparently being able to produce a receipt / other paper work speeds up the process of getting the firearm returned to you.  While digging through my firebox, I have been unable to find stuff... willing to bet it was a thermal paper receipt that just faded to white over the years.  The fact that other things appear to be missing from the fire safe is very annoying and entirely my fault.  Grrrr.

I had bought it from Cabelas, and you can get copies of paper work from them.  Need to talk to the NICS counter by the firearm counter.  Their ATF Administrator (or some title along those lines) will need to be there and they will be able to pull the information for you.  When I went this morning (been a busy time at work lately), she was not there today, etc.  It was suggested to call in advance so things can be prepared and make sure she's there etc.

$150 safe vs bigger.

My "safe" was a cheap stackon gun cabinet.  It'd keep the curious and little hands out of it, but obviously was no good as a 'safe'.

Safes are all about 'time' or discouragement.

The bigger, the heavier, the more obtuse - the better.

Lets say I had my cabinet bolted to the floor and wall.  A $5-$10 pry bar would have still either gotten the cabinet open or the cabinet removed from it's anchors.

For use as a safe, go big and heavy.

Boobytraps.

NO NO NO NO NO

Boobytraps are legal suicide.
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #70 on: April 04, 2016, 02:03:25 PM »
Apparently the Marlin 22 rifle showed up at a pawn shop here in Bellevue, NE.

Now - interestingly enough - I apparently am going to have to pay the pawn shop for what they have into the gun.  That's a bit confusing ... it's stolen property, etc.... wtf...

Anyway, if it's in decent shape and the pawn shop doesn't want much for it, it'll come home with me.

If anything, it'd be a conversation piece ?

They tracked down the guy that sold it to the pawn shop, got him before a judge - claims he didn't know it was stolen property and that's the end of it for that story.  Oh well.

2 down!

\o/
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline depserv

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #71 on: April 04, 2016, 03:01:44 PM »
Seems weird to me that you would have to pay the pawn shop for your own rifle.  You'd think any dealer buying a used gun would be expected to make sure it was not listed as stolen.  Can a dealer sell a gun he knows is reported as stolen? 

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
Re: Home robbery - firearms stolen (1 recovered at pawn shop)
« Reply #72 on: April 04, 2016, 03:06:23 PM »
Seems weird to me that you would have to pay the pawn shop for your own rifle.  You'd think any dealer buying a used gun would be expected to make sure it was not listed as stolen.  Can a dealer sell a gun he knows is reported as stolen? 

See, that's my understanding as it is everywhere (varies by state it seems).  So I'm confused about this.

Now if he's not asking much, I'll pay it as a 'thank you'.  Good faith and all that.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 03:10:55 PM by unfy »

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #73 on: April 04, 2016, 03:07:56 PM »
Oh yes.

Something of interest.

NE Treasury unclaimed property search.

Put in your name.

https://treasurer.nebraska.gov/up/

Offline m morton

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #74 on: April 04, 2016, 04:08:04 PM »
See, that's my understanding as it is everywhere (varies by state it seems).  So I'm confused about this.

Now if he's not asking much, I'll pay it as a 'thank you'.  Good faith and all that.

that is so the pawn shops are not out money , you have to buy it for the same $ amount they paid
now if they can find out who sold it to the pawn shop you may get closer to finding out who stole it .. 
I will allow myself one personal observation. If you want to disarm yourself, that is your choice. The following quote is a favorite of mine and something to keep in mind when you make that choice.

“Sheep don’t tell wolves what’s for dinner.”

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #75 on: April 04, 2016, 04:43:59 PM »

that is so the pawn shops are not out money , you have to buy it for the same $ amount they paid
now if they can find out who sold it to the pawn shop you may get closer to finding out who stole it .. 

They did find the guy, didn't know it was stolen - don't have any more details there in.  Oh well.

Attached should be a pic of it.

It went from being a near safe queen to having been in the back of someone's truck.  Seems functional for the most part, not sure about the ejector clips/springs though.

Has some surface rust, inside the barrel looks good.  Gonna prolly wanna put a small scope on it or something.

It's home. Yay.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #76 on: April 04, 2016, 04:49:50 PM »
When the pawn shop sold it back to you did they not know it was stolen at that time? 

Seems like knowingly selling a stolen gun would be illegal regardless of the buyer
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline m morton

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #77 on: April 04, 2016, 04:57:17 PM »
Oh yes.

Something of interest.

NE Treasury unclaimed property search.

Put in your name.

https://treasurer.nebraska.gov/up/

thanks for the link !! i found my name and my dads name checks in the mail .. lol
I will allow myself one personal observation. If you want to disarm yourself, that is your choice. The following quote is a favorite of mine and something to keep in mind when you make that choice.

“Sheep don’t tell wolves what’s for dinner.”

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #78 on: April 04, 2016, 05:15:20 PM »
When the pawn shop sold it back to you did they not know it was stolen at that time? 

Seems like knowingly selling a stolen gun would be illegal regardless of the buyer

It's.... weird.

Pawn shops, being a merchandise business... has ... weird laws.

Some jurisdictions - they have to return the property free of charge.  Others, you have to reimburse them what they paid, etc.

I believe in Douglas county or maybe just Omaha - they would have had to return the firearm to me (or maybe the police would have been in custody of it, and I'd get it from them etc).

I dunno - but the officer I talked to that told me it was at the pawn shop said I was gonna have to pay to get it back.

edit: cleared up the omaha/douglas county grammar
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 05:19:24 PM by unfy »

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #79 on: September 19, 2016, 02:22:55 PM »
Stoeger Shotgun retrieved from Bellevue PD!

Thank you to Sgt. Milos and the rest of the Bellevue PD!

Took about 8 months after trial/sentencing to get it back, but it's home now \o/

**** YOU TO THE KIDS / ASSHOLES THAT STOLE IT

They sawed off the stock to make it more pistol grip.  Leaving the tension rod hanging out the back.  ****ERS