< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: What is your Gun Inventory System?  (Read 4128 times)

Offline jFader

• NFOA Full Member
Re: What is your Gun Inventory System?
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2014, 06:13:51 PM »
Some great ideas on here...so far I just have a hand written list in my safe. I think I will make a copy or 2 & maybe get a safety deposit box & keep the other in a safe at a family memebers house... I am definitely on board with Not putting my list online for the Washington snoops....
The 2nd Amendment is not open for debate!

NRA Member
SAF Life Member
Proud NFOA Member

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2014, 08:40:22 PM »
I went 100% digital a few years ago.  Got a Fujitsu "scansnap" scanner and went crazy turning everything into 600 dpi, color, searchable PDFs.  Then I backed that up, then backed up the backup, then backed it up a third time.  Then I shredded all the paper that wasn't a "keepsake" with sentimental value.  Every few weeks I scan any new items like receipts, tax documents, etc. and that would include all gun receipts.

One hard drive sits at home backing up my PC on a regular basis. A second one is in a fireproof safe at work which I swap with the home one every 3-4 months, and a third is a relative's house several hundred miles away which I swap every 9-12 months.  Hard drives fail, but I figure that's pretty safe.

My goal in life it to keep things as simple and uncluttered as possible, and I find that digitizing everything to a couple hard drives is way better than files of paper. 

"Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder." ~ FCK

Offline AWick

• Steel Benefactor
  • Home is where your armory is.
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2014, 10:24:24 PM »
I have a printed spreadsheet that I keep in my separate fire safe. It has both my own firearms list, as well as my dad's. He also keeps a secure list that contains my firearms information as well.
"Well-regulated" meant well equipped, trained and disciplined... not controlled with an iron fist.

Offline jestermx6

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2014, 11:18:16 AM »
Google keep sticky note.

google knows everything else about me, so i figure why not.

Offline mott555

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2014, 02:51:40 PM »
Currently I just have a paper list with serial numbers and descriptions in my fireproof safe. I like some of the ideas here and will consider storing pictures (including serial numbers). I keep a USB flash drive in my safe as well, I can put them on there and I also have some other digital encrypted "safes" in other locations.

I never did keep receipts or other proofs of purchase because I never thought those would be needed for anything. That may change now that I'm in a stricter state.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2014, 04:03:43 PM »
Like Citizen Clark I'm also planning on putting everything into a spreadsheet on Google Drive.  That way it can be accessed from anywhere, even if my house burns down and takes my safe and computer with it.

I need to get my list updated with values in case anything happens to me, so my wife knows how much it's worth. 

Only problem is, then she'll know how much I spent on all of it  ;D

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2014, 06:51:51 PM »
Like Citizen Clark I'm also planning on putting everything into a spreadsheet on Google Drive.  That way it can be accessed from anywhere, even if my house burns down and takes my safe and computer with it.

I need to get my list updated with values in case anything happens to me, so my wife knows how much it's worth. 

Only problem is, then she'll know how much I spent on all of it  ;D

Just tell her how valuable they are, not what you paid for them  :laugh: