< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: first time shooting new build  (Read 4913 times)

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
Re: first time shooting new build
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2014, 11:09:14 AM »
yea, that looks like a delta ring on my phone
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline thirtydaZe

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2014, 11:34:46 AM »
I blame this thread, specifically, and one about their lightweight AR build, for the mess i've gotten myself into on sunday.

By now i've got so much stuff on order for my build there will never be any stopping.

Good looking Rifle you have there, and because i'm lacking in the info department at this time, that's a 16" barrel?

Offline landon410

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2014, 12:30:16 PM »
yes 16 inch barrel

and I have been looking for a low price 1 piece mount, I haven't shot it in its current confiruation, but wanted to put the scope on it because, well, new is exciting, and I wanted to play army in my basement, haha, but seriously, I did a little...

with mounts you see those ones on amazon for like $18, but.... can those really be trusted? I don't know, than there is the exact opposite where they costs a lot and I'm not really diggin' that either

Offline kozball

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2014, 01:45:49 PM »
Not sure where you plan on going with optics, but have seen packages like this.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Nikon-P-Riflescope/1330873.uts

There appears to be scope options to the kit, and it comes with rings.

I am not recomending this, cuz I don't have any knowledge of it, but does get good review ratings. I do have a cheap Nikon 4x on my sons 10/22 that he shoots animal crackers with.  :laugh:

Anyone have this ?
\"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn\'t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.\"

Ronald Reagan

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2014, 01:47:39 PM »
Check out Primary Arms Mounts. They are basic but don't break the bank either.

https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary-Arms-Mounts-s/1676.htm

Depending on how the eye relief on that scope it might be better to go with a extended scope mount depending on how you like to shoot.

Offline landon410

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2014, 02:26:41 PM »
access denied on my work computer, funny the things they block and dont block.....

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2014, 03:31:06 PM »
Not sure where you plan on going with optics, but have seen packages like this.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Nikon-P-Riflescope/1330873.uts

There appears to be scope options to the kit, and it comes with rings.

I am not recomending this, cuz I don't have any knowledge of it, but does get good review ratings. I do have a cheap Nikon 4x on my sons 10/22 that he shoots animal crackers with.  :laugh:

Anyone have this ?

My opinion  they are nice budget scope. My dad has a 3x9 on his 6.8 build. The glass. The have bdc for different calibers if you choose. They come with rings but they are not one peice set up. They will fit on the main rail but pending on jow you like your stock you might get halos.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2014, 06:11:31 PM »
You will want a mount that attaches only to the upper receiver, not the handguard. It is a "drop-in" style and would be fine for mounting a flashlight, forward grip, etc. but not optics.

Many have had good luck with the Burris P.E.P.R., Nikon M-223, and Millet mounts that are available in the $50-75 range. Avoid anything like NCstar, BSA, Leapers or anything else similar, they will only cause headaches due to everything being just far enough "off" to cause multiple problems.
Midway just put these on sale: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/440102/millett-1-piece-scope-mount-picatinny-style-with-integral-30mm-rings-and-1-inserts-ar-15-flat-top-matte

Or

These are a good option if you want to go with a 2-piece mount: http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-835-P-Series-Mount/dp/B00B5F02ZW/ref=sr_1_66?ie=UTF8&qid=1394579350&sr=8-66&keywords=AR15+scope+mount

« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 06:17:21 PM by FarmerRick »
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline kozball

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2014, 06:26:50 PM »
It kind of looks like those Nikon P-series mounts are the mounts in the kit. Two individual offset mounts.
\"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn\'t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.\"

Ronald Reagan

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2014, 07:33:16 PM »

They  do come with the scope. They are nice and tight but not as much adjustnent as other set ups. They are also really long
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 08:05:21 PM by tstuart34 »

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2014, 07:56:58 PM »
i think cabelas has a sale with nikons... buy the 223 and get free rings
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline landon410

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2014, 10:44:08 AM »
i like the looks of the above rifle, but it doens't appear that you have much room to access the charging handle,
have you had any problems with that?

I did end up ordering a 1 piece cantilever mount and I'll see how that works...

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2014, 01:16:40 PM »
i like the looks of the above rifle, but it doens't appear that you have much room to access the charging handle,
have you had any problems with that?

I did end up ordering a 1 piece cantilever mount and I'll see how that works...

Its a fun gun. The barrel was super accurate right out of the box. The charging handle is would be really hard to pull except he has a big "tactical Latch" on it. This is the one he bought. If you are going to run a big scope like that I would highly recommend something similar. You can buy just the big latch on amazon for around $20.

OUT OF STOCK BUT FOR A GENERAL IDEA
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/upper-parts/charging-handles/palmetto-state-amory-charging-handle-with-tactical-release-latch.html

Offline landon410

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2014, 12:38:12 PM »
ok, so after i ordered the new mount I got notification that it wasn't in stock....

so I just went and bought the nikon ones, mounting problem fixed.

Offline landon410

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2014, 09:04:47 AM »
I guess I never really shared that much info about the lower itself. I pointed out some issues I had/have with it, but I'll talk about them and share some pictures.

my safety selector is TIGHT, useable, but tight
the lower comes with these little bumps to let you know where to drill the trigger holes, but they are bumped out and not in, so its hard to get a perfect hole, even when doing as directed and slowly making hole bigger. ie start with small bit than bigger bit than bigger bit etc, the lower still chips a little.

The rear take down pin holes drilled by the factory were not done well, it wasn't drilled straight through, its angled which made it difficult to get the rear pin in.
You can see how I had to make the rear take down pin hole on the left safety side of the lower more oblonged just to get the pin through.
This was noted briefly previously in the post.

also there is a noticeable gap between upper and lower itself.
I had to take a couple pictures with good light behind the rifle to get a picture that looks as bad as this one, but its a big gap.

on the safety side of the lower where the lower and upper mate you can see where while not paying a great deal of attention my dremel got away from me a bit and I gouged the side of the lower.

I'd say these lowers are great if you want to learn a bit, or have a cheap rifle. If you want a beautiful rifle where everything is going to be 100% perfect do not use this lower..

However for my needs/wants it has fit the bill, LPK went in with no problems, I didn't have any issues threading the buffer tube, just expect a little work to make everything fit, use a drill press and not a hand held drill and while dremeling, don't be drinking and talking to a friend at the same time, it creates gouges on the side of your lower, ha, also know the dimensions for the hole the trigger goes through, i didn't, I just guessed and the hole ended up bigger than it needed to be.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 09:10:29 AM by landon410 »