< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Another home robbery  (Read 4308 times)

Offline KY57

• Forum Member
Another home robbery
« on: February 03, 2014, 04:03:13 PM »
Well, looks like me and unfy are in the same boat.  My house in Sarpy county was broken into early this morning by kicking in the front door.  They tried to get into my safe using my tools from the garage, but failed to open it.  They did get my carry gun that was somewhere else in the house though.  CZ75D, I really liked that one.  My guns are insured, but I had forgotten to put the CZ on there when I got it.  Doh!

I didn't think it would happen to me, so everyone please learn from my and unfy's experiences.  Have an inventory that you get access, insure your stuff, have a safe, if you have a home alarm system, use it.  I may post more details in the future.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
Re: Another home robbery
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 04:16:19 PM »
Dang, sorry to hear that.

Offline on the fritz

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 04:45:09 PM »
Would investing in a home video surveilance system be worth it? 

How often are stolen firearms found and returned to the owners? 

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 04:58:17 PM »
What are the odds that the perps in both cases are thugs who wouldn't qualify to buy a weapon?   100% ???

Offline UPCrawfish

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 05:08:38 PM »

From personal experience...   Never to hardly ever...  3 hand guns, 2 rifles, 1 shotgun lost in 1999. 
First handgun, a Ruger Mk3, showed up 5 years later in a pawn shop in N.Dakota, close to the border.  NICS showed it stolen. Sheriff shipped it back to Guns Unlimited and my insurance carrier.  Carrier offered to sell it back to me for basically MSRP (they did not pay me that on claim).  No thanks scratched/grips broken and scope rings missing.  No trace on the sale - was bought in a bar parking lot for gas money.
Second handgun, a Ruger Security 6 .357, was recovered after a drive by shooting in Minneapolis.  Still sitting in the evidence room there as far as I know.  Nothing on the 3rd gun - rifles or shotgun.....

Offline NENick

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2014, 05:40:37 PM »
From personal experience...   Never to hardly ever...  3 hand guns, 2 rifles, 1 shotgun lost in 1999. 
First handgun, a Ruger Mk3, showed up 5 years later in a pawn shop in N.Dakota, close to the border.  NICS showed it stolen. Sheriff shipped it back to Guns Unlimited and my insurance carrier.  Carrier offered to sell it back to me for basically MSRP (they did not pay me that on claim).  No thanks scratched/grips broken and scope rings missing.  No trace on the sale - was bought in a bar parking lot for gas money.
Second handgun, a Ruger Security 6 .357, was recovered after a drive by shooting in Minneapolis.  Still sitting in the evidence room there as far as I know.  Nothing on the 3rd gun - rifles or shotgun.....
They're probably sitting in some unsuspecting owner's safe. Well cared for.

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2014, 08:17:13 PM »
LET IT BE KNOWN TO EVERYONE THIS LIST OF THINGS.

I NEVER GO TO NFOA MEETINGS, COFFEES OR SUCH.

I HAVE MULTIPLE SAFES IN SCATTERED LOCATIONS

I HAVE AN ALARM SYSTEM SOUROUNDING ALL MY SAFES

HALF MY SAFES ARE EMPTY

I DRIVE DIFFERENT VEHICLES, AND MY COMINGS AND GOING ARE ALWAYS AT DIFFERENT TIMES

I ADVISE OTHERS TO ALWAYS TRY NEVER TO USE DEADLY FORCE, EXCEPT IN LAST RESORT INSTANCES, IN CASE OF LIFE, LIMB, KIDNAPPING, OR SEXUAL ASSAULT.

I SELDOM LISTEN TO MY OWN ADVICE
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 08:20:50 PM by Gary »

Offline jFader

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2014, 12:12:19 AM »
Bad deal, sorry to hear that...just the knowledge that someone was going through your stuff is enough to make me sick! I'm kind of a freak about my homes security....being an electrician, I researched & installed a reasonably decent security system in my house....but why stop there when you can add a dvr, cameras, & tie the shed(mancave) into the system.... I also subscribe to a service for $9/month that ties my system online so I get email, text, &/or phone notifications for alarm events & an app for our phones with a keypad to arm the system.... Like you said though, you still have to arm the alarm or its useless!

If you don't mind me asking, was it rural Sarpy County or in a town? I was just window shopping a couple of rural Sapry retreat homesteads today....
The 2nd Amendment is not open for debate!

NRA Member
SAF Life Member
Proud NFOA Member

Offline Lmbass14

• Powder Benefactor
  • Red Horse - Semper Ducimus
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2014, 07:51:45 AM »
wow.  What's going on here with the burglaries?  Sorry to hear that KY.  What scenario was yours?

Offline landon410

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2014, 08:09:58 AM »
whats sad is that if they went in for the guns, then they knew what your had and where you had them.
which means....... a friends rotten teenage kid maybe? My wife would make us move if this happened to us, I pray for your family for peace with dealing with this.

We have a hunting cabin in northern missouri and since we aren't there that much we have a secruity camera system. It doesn't set off alarms, but they are visible and not easy to access (take down) they record based off motion detection and have infared capabilities.

They're great for watching deer walk by the side of the cabin in the evenings and early mornings. We've actually got video of an owl catching and eating a rabbit. Anyways..... these are a good, pretty cheap method of recording anything that moves outside and inside our cabin.

My family owns several rental properties, when we buy a new one we remodel it, and we always set up a trail camera to watch who is coming and going and at what time. This keeps the handyman honest and lets us know who the nosey neighbors are. Trail cameras are very effective if you're going to be gone for a weekend or week, hide one in front yard tree, or back yard tree or in the garage etc.

Offline KY57

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2014, 08:41:19 AM »
Thanks guys.  I'm answering some of your individual questions by PM.  I just wanted to get the word out there for people to not be complacent.  I had thought about camera systems a while back, but never followed through.  Hindsight being 20/20....  It seems like a relatively small investment up front can save a lot of rear end pain in the long run.

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2014, 09:33:48 AM »
Would investing in a home video surveilance system be worth it? 

Short answer - yes, it could help identify the perps.

Longer answer - Handyman Joes sells and installs high-quality, consumer-grade systems for inside and outside of your home.  They systems record video when triggered by motion or sound and can send you a notification by text or e-mail.  You can connect to your system with a mobile phone, tablet or computer from literally anywhere in the world with an Internet connection (including 3G/4G).  Shoot me a PM if you're interested.  We offer a 10% discount to NFOA members.

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2014, 10:35:07 AM »
You can connect to your system with a mobile phone, tablet or computer from literally anywhere in the world with an Internet connection (including 3G/4G).

Exactly.  And you can hit the save or record button to preserve the evidence.  If your video security system doesn't involve sending the images to a remote, secure location then your video surveillance equipment is just another juicy plum for the thieves.

I've been running Linux since 1998.  It has a poor man's version of video surveillance.  Among the various applications (called apps or packages in Linux lingo) are those which install on a normal laptop and use the webcam as a security device.   Zoneminder is a prominent one.   Starting with a base picture of the area being watched, the app snaps an image on a regular basis, say every 10 or 15 seconds, and compares the new image with  the base image.  If it detects anything different between the two images it can either begin taking live video or increasing the frequency of the snapshots, streaming either to a remote site, like your Google Drive, or a second device somewhere else.  Zoneminder also controls external security cameras.   Like all apps in a Linux repository, it is free.

Offline DaveB

• NFOA Full Member
  • Future lottery winner!
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2014, 10:41:38 AM »
Is there a leak in the SP giving out addresses of CC holders? Just starts all of the sudden. I know there are always newspapers trying to get the names and addresses so they can let all the thugs know where they are.

This is really bad news hearing about our own being invaded.

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2014, 12:11:12 PM »
Sorry to hear, KY57 :(

I got a call from OPD today to cover any missing info etc.  Nice folks, but mentioned not a lot to go on in my case.
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2014, 12:22:58 PM »
Exactly.  And you can hit the save or record button to preserve the evidence.  If your video security system doesn't involve sending the images to a remote, secure location then your video surveillance equipment is just another juicy plum for the thieves.

I've been running Linux since 1998.  It has a poor man's version of video surveillance.  Among the various applications (called apps or packages in Linux lingo) are those which install on a normal laptop and use the webcam as a security device.   Zoneminder is a prominent one.   Starting with a base picture of the area being watched, the app snaps an image on a regular basis, say every 10 or 15 seconds, and compares the new image with  the base image.  If it detects anything different between the two images it can either begin taking live video or increasing the frequency of the snapshots, streaming either to a remote site, like your Google Drive, or a second device somewhere else.  Zoneminder also controls external security cameras.   Like all apps in a Linux repository, it is free.

That sounds really intriguing.  I have an old laptop I've been planning on turning into a Linux machine.  I'll have to look into that.

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2014, 08:26:36 AM »
That sounds really intriguing.  I have an old laptop I've been planning on turning into a Linux machine.  I'll have to look into that.

Allow me to recommend Ubuntu's stepchild, Kubuntu.    The next Long Term Support release (5 years), Kubuntu 14.04,  is available at
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/daily-live/current/
Help and support is free and easily obtainable at https://www.kubuntuforums.net/forum.php

It features the latest release of the KDE desktop , 4.12.1.    KDE is what VISTA and Win7 wanted to be.  :D     If you can run a mouse and are familiar with any version of Win except 8.x then you know how to run KDE.

Offline KY57

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2014, 09:17:52 PM »
Wanted to put a list of what ended up missing.  Some of these are not that common around here, so please keep an eye out.

(2) CZ-82s
East German Makarov (a real nice one)
Romanian TTC Tokarev
Polish Radom P-64
AR-15 M4 clone
AR-15 A1 model clone, has numbers on the buttstock.
previously listed CZ75
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 10:01:47 PM by KY57 »

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2014, 07:10:40 PM »
Ouch! :(

I'll keep an eye out as well.

Been too busy to hit pawn shops lately... with the move and all :D
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline 00BUCK

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2014, 11:56:52 PM »
KY what part of Sarpy county? Rural or in town?