< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Employee Rights  (Read 4158 times)

Offline rugermanx

• Powder Benefactor
Re: Employee Rights
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2009, 11:21:10 PM »
I am not in any way, shape, or form referring to them banning you from having a firearm in your vehicle. I agree 1000000000% that your vehicle is your vehicle and  there is no way in heck they should be able to control what you have in there, at any time. I am only stating my concerns of the shifting of the liability to the company if something should happen in order to force companies to allow ccw INTO THE BUILDING OR ONTO THE SITE. So, sorry I have not been clear on this in the last three posts.
The U. S. Constitution doesn't guarantee happiness, only the pursuit of it. You have to catch up with it yourself. Benjamin Franklin

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2009, 09:48:31 AM »
I have a hard time with this issue.  While I agree everyone has the right to defend themselves, I think an employer/property owner should have the final say on what's allowed on the premises.  If my neighbor doesn't want me to bring a gun into his house that's his right to make that decision, so I would consider an employer to be the same.  Another thing to think about - you don't have the right to unlimited free speech at work.  If you tell your boss to go **** himself, you'll get fired :D

I see vehicles as a different issue, since your vehicle is your own property.  If it's parked in a private lot owned by the employer I can see how it's a gray area.  My opinion would be that it should be allowed in the vehicle as long as it stays there, even if firearms aren't allowed in the rest of the property.

Offline schlumper

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2009, 02:52:51 PM »
Sure, firearms in a vehicle is the more important issue, but I see a ban on ccw as a workplace safety issue. If your employer forces you to do something unsafe and something bad happens because of it, they are liable.

If you work on a catwalk without a proper safety rail and some idiot pushes you over the edge, the company is held liable. How is this any different?

Offline rugermanx

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2009, 04:47:15 PM »
If you work on a catwalk without a proper safety rail and some idiot pushes you over the edge, the company is held liable. How is this any different?

The company is held liable for the faulty railing they are not held liable for the actions of the idiot. If it is proven that he shoved you off then he is criminally liable.

The U. S. Constitution doesn't guarantee happiness, only the pursuit of it. You have to catch up with it yourself. Benjamin Franklin

Offline Mike M.

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2009, 06:42:44 PM »
First off let me say that rugermanx is right about places that you wouldnt want to carry. I dont think a firefighter would want to carry while fighting a fire. There are also a number of jobs that it is highly possible to catch something on something and then who knows what. I also dont think an employer should be able to tell me I cant have a firearm locked in my vehicle while I am at work.
Now heres a question for you all to ponder. A emloyer forbids weapons on and in company property. This includes all job sites and vehicles. They own some property that they pay employees to maintain and this property is used for hunting by the employer. Are they now breaking the laws by having firearms on that property?
Mike

USAF 82-88, American Legion, NFOA,  NRA

Offline rugermanx

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2009, 07:02:08 PM »
Technically not breaking any laws, only their own company policies.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2009, 08:54:21 AM »
Technically not breaking any laws, only their own company policies.

Yep.  Making them guilty of "Aggravated Hypocrisy"........  not a crime, but deadly to Company Morale, Good Order and Discipline.
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline Mike M.

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2009, 06:45:58 PM »
I talked to our HR guy about it one day and his reply was about the same as I think of it. If you like your job dont push it.
Mike

USAF 82-88, American Legion, NFOA,  NRA

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2009, 08:44:21 AM »

I talked to our HR guy about it one day and his reply was about the same as I think of it. If you like your job dont push it.

It's days like this I thank myself for being my own boss.
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline rugermanx

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2009, 01:56:51 PM »
Amen. Only problem with being your own boss, you have no one to blame for the crappy decisions. And whining about it only gets you a trip to the wacky ward for talking to your self.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 01:57:39 PM by rugermanx »

Offline FLUFF

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2009, 11:44:25 AM »
Michigan is moving forward on this type of issue with HB5302 and HB5303.

Parking lot  protection from being fired for having a legal firearm in your vehicle.