< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Reciprocity Letter from Attorney General  (Read 7899 times)

Offline lefty

• Powder Benefactor
  • KC0DA, NRA, USAF 57-61
Reciprocity Letter from Attorney General
« on: August 31, 2009, 09:38:29 PM »

Offline Wymore Wrangler

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Reciprocity Letter from Attorney General
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 09:41:05 PM »
I'm kind of confused, Texas for example recognizes our permits, but looking at the letter, it looks like they aren't...  I would like to see what states we formally have agreements with posted...

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 09:53:29 PM »
I'm kind of confused, Texas for example recognizes our permits, but looking at the letter, it looks like they aren't...  I would like to see what states we formally have agreements with posted...

From what I understand from the letter, Nebraska will recognize a Texas resident's permit as long as the permit holder is 21 years of age or older.  I think you can get a ccw permit in Texas if you are under 21, that is not legal here in Nebraska.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 10:43:10 PM »
That is a pretty good list, now there is a lot of states that will be able to recognize the Nebraska permit since we recognize theirs.

Offline 00BUCK

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 12:37:15 AM »

From what I understand from the letter, Nebraska will recognize a Texas resident's permit as long as the permit holder is 21 years of age or older.  I think you can get a ccw permit in Texas if you are under 21, that is not legal here in Nebraska.

That is exactly right. Iowa for example will issue a permit to persons 19 or older if they are security guards or have to carry for their employment.
Texas is the same. And that is why Brunning says that "only to the extent that the person is 21 or older", because those states have conditions where someone under 21 can get a permit.

Offline 00BUCK

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009, 12:40:30 AM »
That is a pretty good list, now there is a lot of states that will be able to recognize the Nebraska permit since we recognize theirs.

Some states by default do now. Colorado be default accepts any states permit if that state recognizes theirs. Since Brunning explicitly names the states, you can now carry in Colorado. There are other states that have the same legal acceptance but I am not 100% sure of what those states are so I will not put them in here.

Offline rugermanx

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2009, 12:59:22 AM »
I've spent some time looking and unfortunately don't have anymore time to research this... so I am going to throw it out to the rest of you.

So now (after Colorado and whatever others honor our permit) how many states does the UT and NE, Or the FL and NE or the combination of the three allow for carry in?

Just a side rant "Damn all these laws are so damn confusing. I can work on new cars even with all the damn electronics, I can build an AR, I can read blue prints for just about anything you throw at me, I can build and fix computers, but I just can't keep all the legal B$ straight." Sorry I am just venting that basically I'm not an idiot but when reading the laws sure can feel like one.
The U. S. Constitution doesn't guarantee happiness, only the pursuit of it. You have to catch up with it yourself. Benjamin Franklin

Offline phorvick

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2009, 05:50:13 AM »
I teach the Utah class.  There is now little reason to add Utah...unless....you need coverage in some other State that only Utah (or Florida etc) cover.  My guess is that more States will  honor NE than honor Utah.....at least eventually.

But...if you need a particular State...then a second permit is still a good idea. 

I wonder if this news will start a little uptick in NE applications....maybe it is time to schedule a class :)
If butterfiles carried .45's, there would be no sparrow problem.

http://shootingsafely.com

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2009, 07:17:35 AM »
How's this for a twist on the subject...

What if, when my Nebraska CHP expires, I don't renew it.  I then just renew(for only $10) my Utah permit.

Could I then carry under "affirmative defense" and/or the Utah permit?

How do you like that "gray area"?

World/Heralds story on the new list:  http://www.omaha.com/article/20090901/NEWS01/709019938/0/FRONTPAGE

LINCOLN ? Folks from Iowa, Kansas, Colorado and at least 31 other states are welcome to bring their concealed handguns into the Cornhusker State. But those from South Dakota and 11 other states are not.

Vermont, well, they await word from the Nebraska Attorney General's Office. They were omitted from the letter the prosecutor's office issued Monday and will be discussed today.

The Attorney General's Office was required by a new state law to determine which states have comparable concealed handgun permit laws to Nebraska's, and thus whose residents could legally carry concealed handguns in Nebraska, as well as their home state.

The review found that 34 states have standards equal to or greater than Nebraska's.

More at the link
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 07:41:03 PM by Dan W »
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2009, 08:47:20 AM »
If my memory is correct, Nebraska only recognizes permits from other states for people who are citizens of the other state similar to Colorado ect.  So Nebraskan's need to have the Nebraska permit.

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2009, 08:56:03 AM »
The good news is the World Hearald even recognizes that this means Nebraskans will soon have the ability to carry in a lot of other states.  Unfortunatly they go to the NRA for a quote rather than the NFOA.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2009, 12:03:37 PM »
A few points...
1) PLEASE remember Jon Bruning at election time. 
2) Now the NRA speaks out????? (and yes I am an Endowment Member)
3) I would probably wait to verify CO's position prior to traveling there.
4) PLEASE remember Jon Bruning at election time (yes, I said it again.)

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2009, 12:25:20 PM »
I have a bad feeling that some of the states that are included in the list will be contested by those that oppose this(CHP's, reciprocity, etc.). 
I will not list the reasons why here on the forum at this time.  I'm waiting to see what happens in the next week or so, at this point.

Offline Jesse T

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • XD Shooter
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2009, 12:33:51 PM »
Who has the authority to contest it though? the law specifically states that the AG office gets to decide.  The most people could do is

a) vote bruning out of office for someone who will change it for the worse
b) introduce legislature next year to reword it and change the decision to someone besides the AG

I am not saying we won't hear complaints in the papers or wherever, but I don't think there's much they could actually "do" at this point in time anyway.

I also don't think this is an issue that most of your average joe citizen cares about at all. (who can or can't carry in NE)

As always these are just my thoughts/opinions take with 2 grains of salt and call in the morning.
N0ZXR

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2009, 12:46:04 PM »
I agree with you that most could care less about it, but there are a few very vocal members(and former members) of the Unicam that may try to raise some questions about the "equal-ness" of a few of these state's standards.  

There were quite a few cities that stated they would NOT abide by the A.G.'s ruling on preemption earlier this year.

I'm just saying that I think someone will try to raise a stink about it.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 12:48:03 PM by FarmerRick »

Offline Jesse T

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • XD Shooter
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2009, 12:57:34 PM »
Yeah, I'd actually agree with you there.  Luckily I think the chance of someone getting any traction on it is slim.

I hope someone can get us a list of states where our permit is now valid in, as in states that have reciprocal agreements.
N0ZXR

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2009, 08:50:16 PM »
Colorado!  YIPPPEEEEEEE!   I'm goin' skiing again!
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline Wesley D

• NFOA Full Member
  • Rifleman
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2009, 11:40:56 AM »
Nice! Way to go Nebraskans, another victory for individual rights.  So as a Colorado boy, I can now carry when I come to see my fianc? in Omaha.  I like that.   ;D

To verify some people's CO question: Pursuant to Colorado law (CRS 18-12-213), the State of Colorado will recognize a valid permit issued in another state IF the permit was issued to a resident of the state issuing the permit, and the permittee is 21 yrs of age or older, AND the other state recognizes Colorado permits as valid in their state.  So yes, you can now carry here with your NE permit if you also have an NE ID.  However until your AG's letter filters down to our local LEO patrols, you may want to carry a copy of that letter with you, because when you're in the field the law is often whatever the LEO believes the law to be.  One final point, just take note of our areas of prohibited carry.

Since I'm going to be joining your great state in a few months, I've been trying to get up to speed on the NE firearms laws - NFOA is an excellent source and seems like a great grassroots group similar to Rocky Mountain Gun Owners out here.  I do, however, have a question.  I've been trying to get the handgun registration law within the Peoples' Republic of Omaha straight in my head.  I apologize if this has been covered in other posts (likely to great extent) but does the passage of LB430 also remove the home-rule requirement for those who aren't residents of Omaha to register handguns with the Omaha PD?  And don't worry, we won't be living in Occupied Territory when I move there - we're looking more toward Bellevue or Papillion... Thanks in advance guys! 
"I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert Heinlein

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2009, 11:55:26 AM »
http://www.handgunlaw.us/ is a great source for CC information.  It looks like it was updated on August 31, 2009, but it does not appear to include the latest Nebraska changes.  I will email them to get it updated.

Edit: Read a little more on the website and they said it IS updated per NE's changes.  I tried the "Create License Map" and it appears to work.

Edit 2: I selected Nebraska on the "Create License Map" page and CO was not listed as a state which recognizes the NE permit.

Fly
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 12:01:54 PM by OnTheFly »
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2009, 01:29:10 PM »
zombiehunter, LB 430 restricted cities from placing any firearms lws on valid CCW holders.  So if you are not living in the city you should not need register it.  But your comment on information filtering down to the LEO applies.