< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Reciprocity Letter from Attorney General  (Read 7900 times)

Offline Wesley D

• NFOA Full Member
  • Rifleman
Re: Reciprocity Letter from Attorney General
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2009, 01:42:30 PM »
Thanks AAllen.  I may need to print out that section of LB430 and just stick it in my back pocket while I'm there. 
"I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert Heinlein

Offline 00BUCK

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2009, 04:21:13 PM »
http://www.handgunlaw.us/ is a great source for CC information.  It looks like it was updated on August 31, 2009, but it does not appear to include the latest Nebraska changes.  I will email them to get it updated.

Edit: Read a little more on the website and they said it IS updated per NE's changes.  I tried the "Create License Map" and it appears to work.

Edit 2: I selected Nebraska on the "Create License Map" page and CO was not listed as a state which recognizes the NE permit.

Fly
Nebraska's info is updated, but not Colorado's. Be patient. Colorado hasn't officially update their site so handgunlaw really can't update there info yet.

Offline Randy

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • "Liberty or Death"---------"Don't Tread on Me!"
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2009, 02:16:10 AM »
Since I'm going to be joining your great state in a few months, I've been trying to get up to speed on the NE firearms laws -   
zombiehunter
When you due make your residence in NE that will make a temporary problem for you as you must have 6 months residency before you may apply for the NE CCP. Thus your Colorado permit will be void as I understand the reading of the current law until you have meet the NE requirements for the NE CCP.

There may be some creative ways around this, of course I am not advocating anything illegal.
Once you have gotten your NE Drivers License and or state ID card with your new address you are technically a NE residence.

Please anyone correct me if this is incorrect.
Let us never forget 9.11.01
 "She Never Begins An Attack, Nor When Once Engaged, Ever Surrenders:"
An American Guesser Oct.3, 1775

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2009, 08:06:18 PM »
When I put up the new NFOA alert last night, I thought that Nebraska required a permit from the reciprocal states to be a resident permit, but that is wrong.

Nebraska will accept valid  non-resident permits issued by the states  that the AG has approved

http://www.nebraskalegislature.gov/laws/statutes.php?statute=s6924048000

69-2448 License or permit issued by other state or District of Columbia; how treated. A valid license or permit to carry a concealed handgun issued by any other state or the District of Columbia shall be recognized as valid in this state under the Concealed Handgun Permit Act if (1) the holder of the license or permit is not a resident of Nebraska and (2) the Attorney General has determined that the standards for issuance of such license or permit by such state or the District of Columbia are equal to or greater than the standards imposed by the act. The Attorney General shall maintain and publish a list of such states and the District of Columbia which he or she has determined have standards equal to or greater than the standards imposed by the act.
Source

1. Laws 2009, LB430, ? 13.

Effective Date: August 30, 2009

« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 08:37:21 PM by Dan W »
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Wesley D

• NFOA Full Member
  • Rifleman
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2009, 08:13:48 PM »
Excellent!  Thanks Dan.

Well gentlemen, the more I learn about your state, the more I'm looking forward to becoming a Nebraska citizen...
"I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert Heinlein

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2009, 09:28:36 PM »
I don't mean to rain on your parade, but...... have seen the tax rates?
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline huskergun

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2009, 10:00:50 PM »
Don't scare him too bad right off the bat.
Oh zombiehunter start practising the phrase GO BIG RED

« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 10:09:47 PM by huskergun »
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

No Free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
Thomas Jefferson.

Offline Wesley D

• NFOA Full Member
  • Rifleman
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2009, 10:26:22 PM »
I don't mean to rain on your parade, but...... have seen the tax rates?

Yeah, property taxes are a bit ridiculous.  What could it all go toward?  I pulled county records on half a dozen properties we're interested in and looking at all of the components of your mill levies is nuts.  There needs to be some taxpayer education on the proper roll of local government.  Here's a levy example:

Fund Description Levy                           
1      COUNTY LEVY                0.296264
127   PAPILLION SCHOOL         1.057455
128   PAPILLION SPEC SCH       0.015858
180   SCHL DIST 27 BOND 1      0.013472
183   SCHL DIST 27 BOND 2      0.018719
185   SCHL DIST 27 BOND 3      0.094597
186   SCHL DIST 27 BOND 4      0.027892
305   PAPILLION RURAL FIRE      0.085893
313   PAPILLION FIRE BOND       0.016
501   PAPIO NATURAL RESRCE    0.03375
701   MUD                              0
801   METRO COMMUNITY COLL  0.0674
901   AGRICULTURAL SOCIETY    0.001092
1003 ED SERVICE UNIT 3           0.01624
2180 SID 180                          0.4
4001 COMMUNICATIONS BOND   0.003636
23180 SID 180 BOND                0.35         
 Total Levy 2008                         2.498268

An effing 2.5% Property Tax?!?! Per year???  What the hell is a SID 180 at 0.4% lefy rate anyway?  I'm no government bureaucrat, but I reckon that if the County and City ledgers were put online where the taxpayers could monitor frivolous spending from bonded initiatives, a number of initiatives would be rejected by taxpayers and there wouldn't be such high property taxes.  Somehow, out here in Colorado, we get by just fine with about a 0.5% Property Tax.  Though each year during the special elections some special interest group is whining that we need another 0.02% levy... you know, for the children.  Add up enough of those subsidy handouts and before you know it, you're paying $6K/year on a $250K house.  Damn Looters.

Offline Wesley D

• NFOA Full Member
  • Rifleman
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2009, 10:29:30 PM »
Don't scare him too bad right off the bat.
Oh zombiehunter start practising the phrase GO BIG RED

Do I have to cheer for the Huskers or is it sufficient that I don't root for whoever they're playing?   >:D

Offline Roper

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2009, 10:05:08 AM »
AAllen said: "The good news is the World Hearald even recognizes that this means Nebraskans will soon have the ability to carry in a lot of other states.  Unfortunatly they go to the NRA for a quote rather than the NFOA."

This may be a topic for a new thread...

If we want the press to seek us out for comment, we need to enable them to do so.  Who is our official spokesperson?  What is his/her contact information?  I don't think that NFOA is visible enough to be on the press's radar. If we truly want to adopt this kind of focus, we need to issue press releases on topics that we have a position on and we need to demonstrate our credibility to the public.

Interested in what others think...

Dan - if you think this should be a new thread, please feel free to move the post....

Concentrated power has always been the enemy of liberty.
Ronald Reagan

Offline SBarry

• Former BOD, NFOA Volunteer , NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award Winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2009, 03:53:03 PM »
Yes, new topic. I think it is time we started releasing information to the press. We are a show away from the 2000 members mark, and if I am not mistaken, the largest gun rights group made up entirely of Nebraskans.

There are probably more NRA members in Nebraska than NFOA members, but give me a little more time and we will change that. It is time we take center stage, no longer a side show.  Of course, it is going to take someone to write press releases, and they would need to be approved by a consensus of the board, and someone would have to donate their time to get it done.
The sheep don't like this sheepdog until the wolves start working the flock.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2009, 06:10:18 PM »
ACCEPTED PERMITS
ALASKA
ARIZONA
ARKANSAS
CALIFORNIA OVER 21 ONLY
COLORADO
CONNECTICUT   
FLORIDA
IDAHO
IOWA OVER 21 ONLY
HAWAII
KANSAS
KENTUCKY
LOUISIANA
MAINE OVER 21 ONLY
MICHIGAN
MINNESOTA
MISSOURI
MONTANA OVER 21 ONLY
NEVADA
NEW JERSEY
NEW MEXICO
NORTH CAROLINA
NORTH DAKOTA (CLASS 1)
NORTH DAKOTA (CLASS 2) OVER 21 ONLY
OHIO
OKLAHOMA
OREGON
RHODE ISLAND
SOUTH CAROLINA
TENNESSEE
TEXAS OVER 21 ONLY
UTAH
VIRGINIA
WEST VIRGINIA
WYOMING
WASHINGTON D.C.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 09:30:06 PM by Dan W »
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline huskergun

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2009, 08:37:17 PM »
Roper and LitlRat you guys are right on the mark as far as I'm concerned. If we want that kind on attention we have to go and let them know we are here.
Who ever does this needs to be a good speaker and a good comunicator.

And Zombiehunter..... You must become a Husker fan. You'll notice it is on our Conceal carry permit when you get yours. You could root against the Buffalos and that might be ok. I'll have to check the rule book.
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

No Free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
Thomas Jefferson.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2009, 08:48:09 PM »
AAllen said: "The good news is the World Hearald even recognizes that this means Nebraskans will soon have the ability to carry in a lot of other states.  Unfortunatly they go to the NRA for a quote rather than the NFOA."

This may be a topic for a new thread...

If we want the press to seek us out for comment, we need to enable them to do so.  Who is our official spokesperson?  What is his/her contact information?  I don't think that NFOA is visible enough to be on the press's radar. If we truly want to adopt this kind of focus, we need to issue press releases on topics that we have a position on and we need to demonstrate our credibility to the public.

Interested in what others think...

Chris Z is the president and the Official spokesperson. His contact info is posted on the NFOA website.

Can anyone name the NRA spokesperson for Nebraska? I can't... It is also probably listed somewhere
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2009, 08:59:05 PM »
There may be too many topics in this thread, and  the CU  Buffaloes are the real reason space is a vacuum not my favorite team >:D
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder

Offline rugermanx

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2009, 10:59:02 PM »
By rooting for anyone but NE you may be putting yourself at risk for being disavowed around these parts. Just buy yourself a husker t-shirt and don't cheer too loudly for anyone else you'll be fine. Cheer too loud and you may risk the disavowing. >:D

And don't get me started on the property tax thing. Last year we won one vote to defeat a tax levy increase of (don't quote me on this) 60 cents. shortly thereafter we had another vote for a raise of 55 cents. which passed. I know the 55 to be accurate not the first one it may have been a touch higher. However. It was later found out that some people (who were no longer residents of the area) who had not registered to vote at their new places came back just to vote in this one special election. It was a major point of disrest amoung members of the community. and I believe that someone told me we were one of the higher rates in the state.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 11:13:24 PM by rugermanx »
The U. S. Constitution doesn't guarantee happiness, only the pursuit of it. You have to catch up with it yourself. Benjamin Franklin

Offline Wymore Wrangler

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2009, 11:19:43 PM »
But looking at handgunlaw, what states can we now carry in that we couldn't carry before...

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2009, 12:07:48 AM »
So far I am not aware of any other states that NEBRASKA residents can now carry in that we couldn't before..... But more should come in the near future.

This helped OTHER STATES residents, so they are now able to carry here.

Offline SeanN

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2009, 07:18:30 AM »
By rooting for anyone but NE you may be putting yourself at risk for being disavowed around these parts. Just buy yourself a husker t-shirt and don't cheer too loudly for anyone else you'll be fine. Cheer too loud and you may risk the disavowing. >:D

I'm not sure why but this made me laugh because if any of you guys are gambling men... I have a weakness for Craps and I always play "the dark side." Basically, when everyone else is losing, you're making money so you have to kinda cover your mouth and keep your evil bastard grin to yourself and not cheer too loud or you'll get some pretty angry people in your face. :)

Offline lefty

• Powder Benefactor
  • KC0DA, NRA, USAF 57-61
Re: Reciprocity Letter from Attorney General (Colorado Carry)
« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2009, 07:44:53 AM »
Copy of this might help until they get their list updated.

18-12-213

Source:   Colorado Statutes : Colorado Revised Statutes : TITLE 18 CRIMINAL CODE : ARTICLE 12 OFFENSES RELATING TO FIREARMS AND WEAPONS : PART 2 PERMITS TO CARRY CONCEALED HANDGUNS : 18-12-213. Reciprocity.
18-12-213. Reciprocity.

(1) A permit to carry a concealed handgun or a concealed weapon that is issued by a state that recognizes the validity of permits issued pursuant to this part 2 shall be valid in this state in all respects as a permit issued pursuant to this part 2 if the permit is issued to a person who is:
(a) Twenty-one years of age or older; and
(b) (I) A resident of the state that issued the permit, as demonstrated by the address stated on a valid picture identification that is issued by the state that issued the permit and is carried by the permit holder; or
(II) A resident of Colorado for no more than ninety days, as determined by the date of issuance on a valid picture identification issued by Colorado and carried by the permit holder.

(2) For purposes of this section, a "valid picture identification" means a driver's license or a state identification issued in lieu of a driver's license.

History
Source: L. 2003: Entire part added, p. 646, ? 1, effective May 17. L. 2007: Entire section amended, p. 956, ? 1, effective May 17.