< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Review Of Knife Sharpening Systems  (Read 6889 times)

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
Review Of Knife Sharpening Systems
« on: February 14, 2014, 11:14:19 PM »
Years ago, I owned a Galco system.  Cant find it, and I wanted to sharpen some knives, so I started looking around the marketplace to see what has been invented over the past 15 years.  Lots!

First I purchased a Edge Pro knock off from Amazon.  Amazon messed up, and sent me Ver I.  In a couple days, I had both Ver I & the Pro version.  A little hard to use, slow, tedious, Good results.

I hit Sears and purchased a wet wheel stone, and I pretty much totaled one knife.  Have to know what you are doing on one of those.

I purchased a Full sized Norton tri stone, like a chef would own.   This is the old fashioned way to sharpen a knife.  A bit more than I want to learn, to master knife sharpening. 

Mid week, I purchased a Spiderco Sharpmaker.  This is a double rod system, where the precise angle is set for the user, and you have to do is concentrate on going up and down in a straight plumb motion. 

This is easy to use, and gets pretty good results.  This system was also one of the better deals, starting at about fifty bucks.  Double that, to get harsh and extra fine rods.

Next was a system from KME.  Has everything to get perfect results, if sharpening one knife, and eating up a couple hours, is in your evening plans.   Like the Edge Pro, not a fast way to sharpen a dull knife.

Today Amazon arrives via UPS, and the driver drops of a Work Sharp Ken Onion Edition.

In one afternoon, I sharpened 10 of my knives to razor sharp, and also did several knives in my suite of shops for other shop owners.   Incredible tool. 

This knife has seen hard times.  The edge shines like a mirror now, and it is razor sharp.

The winner, for me, between Spiderco, Edge Pro, KME, wet stones,  Work Sharp and Galco, is Work Sharp.  Hands down.

I chose the Ken Onion edition.  Larger, more bells and whistles.  About $150 on Amazon.  They have a smaller version for about half the money. 

This is a belt sharpener that turns slow, so the knife edge does not heat up, destroying the temper in the steel.   This works just the same as the knife makers tools, only in a small affordable package. 

WorkSharp puts a Convex edge on your knives, and some people feel, the round convex edge, is stronger, longer lasting, than a straight, or even a bevel edge.  Jig sharpeners, as a rule, cannot do a convex edge.  Hand sharpening can do a convex edge, as each pass of your hand across the stone, is on a somewhat altered angle, thus making the edge somewhat round.  this however, is not a planned event, rather like a church potluck.  Might be good, might be barely eatable.  One time you get a sharp knife, and the next time, it is dull, or worse than before you sharpened it. 

The Work Sharp Ken Onion edition, is truly wonderful. 

http://www.amazon.com/Work-Sharp-WSKTS-KO-Sharpener-Edition/dp/B00EJ9CQKA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1392443433&sr=8-2&keywords=work+sharp+ken+onion

Put your worst pocket knife in your pocket, and come see me at 1st & O street, and I will sharpen it for you, just for the fun of it.  Yep, knife sharpening is fun!  Who knew?

« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 11:56:14 PM by Gary »

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Review Of Knife Sharpening Systems
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 11:53:42 PM »
Nice summary.  I love my Edge Pro system.  Makes for a totally foolproof way to get a perfect edge.
"Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder." ~ FCK

Offline sparky

• NFOA Full Member
  • Site Sponsor
    • Midwest Leather Works
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2014, 12:39:50 AM »
That was a really great review and something I've been thinking about lately.  It can be overwhelming trying to figure out what works.  Expensive too.
www.midwestleatherworks.com
matt@midwestleatherworks.com

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2014, 08:26:35 AM »
I'm sold.  I have a gatco sharpening kit.  It's like the Lansky system.  Works but it's slow.  Work sharp on order. 
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2014, 11:15:35 AM »
I've owned a Worksharp for a couple of years.  Awesome and best I've used.....

As an aside (and nothing personal "Gary").... I get tickled how everything is labeled a "system" these days.... I think I'll publish a decoder:
1) Sleep System = Sleeping Bag
2) Weapons System = Gun
3) Create your own .....

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2014, 06:03:16 PM »
The one drawback of the Work Sharp system is the reliance on 110.  In the wilderness, camping, on a canoe trip, hiking, no 110 often times.   In those times, the manual kits, in a small travel case, is handy to have.

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2014, 09:02:25 PM »
Dang wish i would have checked the boards this afternoon i drove past your shop when i was taking some donations to your Neighbors.

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2014, 12:00:25 AM »
Dang wish i would have checked the boards this afternoon i drove past your shop when i was taking some donations to your Neighbors.

Always welcome.  Quite a few folks have come by to say hello. 

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2014, 03:12:38 PM »
I don't want to be a burden on you but I have 3 knives that I Cerakoted and need to sharpen. Would it be possible to bring a edge back without nicking the finish? And whats your time worth to do 3 knives?

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2014, 07:23:25 PM »
Bring one or all three by, and Ill have a look.  Looks like a fun project.  402-217-5000 text before you come by, to make sure I am in the shop. 

Did this yesterday.  One edge was not sharpened from the factory.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 07:39:00 PM by Gary »

Offline MHicks

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2014, 08:58:55 AM »
I got a Work Sharp from the in-laws a couple of years ago for Christmas.  When I pulled it out of the box to look at it my Father In Law tossed me his old two blade pocket knife he has had for 40+ years.  He said if it will sharpen that it will sharpen anything.

He knife was duller than a spoon but the Work Shop made quick and easy work of putting a great edge on it.  He joked saying he would have to be careful because he has been used to it being dull for years.

I sharpen every blade in our home with it.  Kitchen knives are insanely sharp.  I even used it to sharpen the edge of a piece of 1.25"x1.25" angle iron steel, I think it is 1/8" thick, that I used for a project.  After putting an edge on that I have total confidence it will sharpen anything.

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2014, 09:38:17 PM »
I have a inspirationally dissatisfied personality, and one type of sharpener, I have yet to try, that gets good reviews, is a professional wet sander with built in jigs.

I ordered one today.  I will post to this thread, how that goes. 

« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 09:53:47 PM by Gary »

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2014, 09:51:11 PM »
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 09:53:15 PM by Gary »

Offline metaldoc

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2014, 09:37:25 AM »
I use a system that has been around for a while...   ;D