< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Nebraska Governor Candidates  (Read 5192 times)

Offline DanClrk51

• NFOA Full Member
Nebraska Governor Candidates
« on: February 17, 2014, 04:16:58 PM »
The Republican Primary for Governor is on May 13th 2014. Now that Senator Charlie Janssen dropped out of the race who would be the best candidate for our cause?

Specifically which one of these candidates would be most likely to sign permitless "constitutional" concealed carry & statewide firearms preemption (meaning also the elimination of Omaha's Handgun Registration Scheme)?

Republican candidates include Attorney General Jon Bruning, State Senator Tom Carlson, Auditor Mike Foley, State Senator Beau McCoy, Pete Ricketts, and Omaha attorney Bryan Slone.

Let me know if I missed anyone...

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
Re: Nebraska Governor Candidates
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 06:22:05 PM »
Dan the NFOA-PAF will be sending each of the candidates questionaires, those will be two questions we will directly ask.  I am taking suggestions for other questions.  That goes for all of the offices up for election, if anyone has a qustion they think needs to be asked post it and I will see what I could do about getting it included.  These will be going out shortly after the fileing dealing so we are certain to give each of the candidates an equal chance to participate.

Offline DanClrk51

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 03:35:47 PM »
Thanks Andy!

Other questions to ask: Victim Protection Act? Uniform Sign Standard for no guns signs?
Specific question: "Do you believe the game law (applied everywhere) banning loaded shotguns in vehicles violates the 2nd Amendment?"

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 03:49:01 PM »
Sadly, none of these guys are exciting :(.

hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline Husker_Fan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 08:30:39 AM »
None may be that exciting, but some are better than others.

Offline sh68137

• NFOA Full Member
  • NRA Lifer
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2014, 04:30:51 PM »
1. Do you believe that the Constitution is the "supreme law of the land" and that the Bill of Rights acknowledges our birthrights?

2. If so, should these rights be proactively protected from infringement by all levels of government, including city, county and state?

3. Please give some examples of gun laws you consider constitutional.

4. Please give some examples of gun laws you consider unconstitutional.

5. Does the right to bear arms include the right for any peaceable citizen to carry them concealed without a permit, as in Vermont and Alaska?

6. Do you believe that Americans have a right to own, use and carry weapons of military pattern, and will you use the prestige of elected office to publicly promote that right?

7. Do you support or oppose registration of weapons? Why?

8. Do you support or oppose licensing requirements to own or carry firearms?
Why?

9. What specific gun laws will you work to get repealed?

10. If elected, will you back your words of support for firearms rights up with consistent actions? How?
"Only slaves need permission."--SGH

Offline Kendahl

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2014, 09:10:20 PM »
What are people's opinions about John Bruning? On two issues I am aware of (Omaha's handgun registration for CCW permit holders and CCW permit eligibility for legal resident aliens) Bruning sided with civilian gun rights. Contrast him with Iowa's attorney general who told cities they could enact their own local restrictions despite the state's preemption law.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 09:15:04 PM by Kendahl »

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2014, 09:15:22 PM »
FWIW Jon is a long standing NFOA member
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline DaveB

• NFOA Full Member
  • Future lottery winner!
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2014, 11:47:00 PM »
Castle Doctrine.

Offline Husker_Fan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2014, 06:34:50 AM »
Granted, this is from his days in law school (November '92) but Bruning hasn't always been on our side on guns or some other issues. 

Offline jFader

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2014, 09:22:26 AM »
Granted, this is from his days in law school (November '92) but Bruning hasn't always been on our side on guns or some other issues. 

Huh, those darn hollow point bullets Mr. Bruning....we should all be defending ourselves with fmj?
The 2nd Amendment is not open for debate!

NRA Member
SAF Life Member
Proud NFOA Member

Offline greg58

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2014, 07:43:10 PM »
His staff calls him the "General".
My question for Mr. Bruning is why he allowed a back room deal for Brenda Council on her campaign funds misappropriation?
Would any other citizen get the same deal?

Greg58
Pants Up!  Don't Loot!

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2014, 08:51:22 PM »
1) "General" is an official way to address an Attorney General
2) Back rooam deal? Do elaborate.  BC was hammered pretty hard via fines and suspended law license iirc

Offline greg58

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2014, 08:14:21 PM »
http://watchdog.org/104268/brenda-council-plea-deal/
http://journalstar.com/news/state-and-regional/govt-and-politics/brenda-council-agrees-to-law-license-suspension/article_cdb0a90d-97d6-53b7-bbdd-33bdb7fe0a7e.html
http://www.omaha.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20131205/NEWS/131209362/1685

Now I think if a normal citizen is caught embezzling funds from their employer or some organization they volunteer with etc. They are typically charged and more severly punished than a $500 dollar fine that Bruning's office arranged with the Senator, see first story.
http://www.bishop-accountability.org/news2008/07_08/2008_07_11_Burbach_NunSentenced.htm
Here is the story of an Omaha Nun with no previous criminal history, but had a gambling problem, who went to jail for embezzlement.
Here is a Postmaster that stole $6600 and was sentanced to 6 months in jail.
http://www.nebraska.tv/story/19656447/nebraska-postmaster-sentenced-in-embezzlement-case
My point is that I have the perception of a sweetheart deal worked out for Brenda Council because she is a former Senator, and it has Jon Bruning's fingerprints on it. Nothing would come out of the "Generals" office without his approval.
Once again I would like to ask Mr. Bruning if any other normal citizen would get the same deal?
Greg58
Pants Up!  Don't Loot!

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2014, 11:37:48 AM »
Bruning: "I support gun control".

No one's POV is so intractable that it is immune from change or changing conditions, unless they are pure ideologues.

I used to be an atheist, until my  knowledge of physics, math, biology and science in general increased significantly because of my college majors in the same subject areas.  IOW, the more I learned about science the more I came to believe in a divine "first cause".

While a student in college my daughter was a staunch liberal and berated people like Limbaugh (whom I dislike), myself,  and conservatives in general.  We avoided political discussions for the sake of family peace.   Then, she graduated, got a job, started a family and what do you know .... all on her own her POV did almost a 180 switch.  :)    Now, like me, she is socially liberal but fiscally conservative.

Until I saw the photocopy of his article in the Daily Nebraskan I was leaning toward Bruning.  Now I have to examine his 2A activity since then more closely.   Too many politicans utter the words "I swear to .... protect and defend the Constitution of the United states against all enemies, both foreign and domestic, and I take this oath willingly, without mental reservations or purposes of evasion." but when they get in office the do just the opposite.  What will Bruning do?  Now I wonder.

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2014, 12:31:32 PM »

Yeah, that definitely bears some investigation.

Even at my most "liberal" (a point in my life where I personally wanted nothing to do with guns), I was still ashamed by the infringements we the people had allowed our lawmakers to put on our Second Amendment rights.

Edit: Anyone have much background on Beau McCoy?  He purports to be pro-Second Amendment and pro-life.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 12:47:30 PM by Mudinyeri »

Offline sidearm1

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2014, 02:16:55 PM »
Just because we haven't stirred the pot for awhile.  I am still not decided on who to vote for, but to say Bruning had control of the Brenda Council problem.  When did he get appointed as a Federal Attorney for the District of Nebraska.  She was charged federally and punished federally.  Even the articles referenced talked about Federal charges.

Offline greg58

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2014, 02:57:12 PM »
Just because we haven't stirred the pot for awhile.  I am still not decided on who to vote for, but to say Bruning had control of the Brenda Council problem.  When did he get appointed as a Federal Attorney for the District of Nebraska.  She was charged federally and punished federally.  Even the articles referenced talked about Federal charges.

First she was charged by the State 2 misdemeanors/ $500 fine. (See first story)
Then she was charged Federally.
I do not try to imply that Bruning had anything to do with the Federal charges.
However I am still waiting for an answer to my question.

Greg58
Pants Up!  Don't Loot!

Offline David Hineline

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2014, 12:59:31 AM »
I would add the question to see which one would support a state law requiring local CLEOs to sign off on NFA transfers, and stop the secret handshake crap that some communities have to put up with.
Machinegun owners blow thier load with one pull of the trigger

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2014, 12:10:29 PM »
From the "For What its worth department".....  I am a personal friend of Bruning (that and a dollar will get me a up of coffee at Village Inn).  The moment the Unicam passed the reciprocity law I contacted him the day the Gov signed.  I discussed with him the states that were "graciously" recognizing our CHP (even though we were not recognizing theirs at that time) and that the passed legislation allowed him to name the states we would grant reciprocity to.  Alas, it was a matter of days before he "published" the list and he expedited requests with other states AGs....so I am certainly of the belief he's changed his tune vice his UNL Law Screwl days.....