< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Lincoln/Game and Parks shooting range  (Read 5544 times)

Offline Lmbass14

• Powder Benefactor
  • Red Horse - Semper Ducimus
Re: Lincoln/Game and Parks shooting range
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2014, 08:18:15 AM »
Read somewhere (thinking on the G&P page) that the indoor range is for .22 cal only?  And my other question is the outdoor range is "for sight-in only".  Meaning bore sighting, or actual sighting in the firearm and what is the caliber size limit?

So theoretically, you can use the range any time there open, and if anyone says anything, you just tell them that I'm "sighting-in" the rifle.

Offline Ghost

• Steel Benefactor
  • NRA Life Member - 1972
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2014, 09:27:17 AM »
....my other question is the outdoor range is "for sight-in only".  Meaning bore sighting, or actual sighting in the firearm and what is the caliber size limit?

So theoretically, you can use the range any time there open, and if anyone says anything, you just tell them that I'm "sighting-in" the rifle.

NE Bull can chime in if my memory has failed me more than usual.  In our discussions with G&P, the term "Sight-in Range" was used to describe informal, unsupervised, ranges that would be developed at existing G&P locations, such as WMA's or SRA's.  We brought it to G&P's attention that there were large numbers of big game permits sold in the state each year, but there were few publicly accessible places available for those permit holders to sight in their rifles.  That discussion was where the term "Sight-in Range" originated.

In our discussions with G&P re: range design, they were planning that a typical sight-in range would be set up for both rifle and pistol use.  There was never any discussion about limiting the use of "Sight-in Ranges" to just the sighting in of hunting rifles.  Our understanding has been that the sight-in ranges could be used for most anything that any informal, unsupervised range could be used for, i.e. plinking, testing handloads, informal target shooting, and/or the sighting in of deer rifles.

I don't recall that we were ever involved in any discussion of caliber limitations.  I believe G&P was originally planning on including some hanging steel for targets, along with more conventional target backers.  JMO, but any caliber limitations for a given sight-in range would probably depend on the location of the range itself, and on G&P's final design for the target area at each range.  G&P will probably develop, and post any special requirements at each sight-in range.

Ghost       
A well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free State......George Mason

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2014, 02:42:32 PM »
^ What he said ^
A few limits that I recall; No 50BMG or other such super high damaging round. (Gongs will be of armored plate)
The pistol portion would depend on topography, size limits, etc. 
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline Lmbass14

• Powder Benefactor
  • Red Horse - Semper Ducimus
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2014, 08:21:15 AM »
Thanks Ghost and Bull.

Offline dkarp

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2014, 09:06:01 PM »
Thanks, that's the kind of info I was hoping for!