< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: How do you learn to shoot?  (Read 2019 times)

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
How do you learn to shoot?
« on: February 04, 2014, 06:48:36 AM »
"How do you learn to shoot?"

I get asked that question a lot, with regard to handguns.  Often from people who are interested in shooting, but have no experience at all.  Other times, from people who know how to go to an indoor range, put a target on the frame, then stand there and shoot at it slowfire for group.

I finally decided that I've give a complete answer to that, instead of making some quick comments, and it turned into a fairly long blog post about actually learning correctly, meaning learning in such a fashion that you build solid safety habits, learn efficient, effective technique, and build significant competency.

...and do it in such a way that you keep learning, and don't let your skills stagnate.  How many people know someone who says they shoot pistol "a whole lot and are really good" but who still use a Weaver stance, or advocate one-handed point shooting as a primary choice, or are adamant that what they learned in the military (20 years ago) is still the best tactical choice?

I know a number of people like that.  And there is nothing wrong with Weaver stance---but if teaching a new shooter, there are better stances and grips that are quicker and more efficient.  There is nothing wrong with one-handed point shooting in certain, limited sets of circumstances---but you wouldn't want to start out a new shooter teaching that skill set.  And what the military taught for pistol shooting 20 years ago bears no resemblance to what citizen self-defense skills are necessary now.

In the blog post, I give a training/practice skill progression from "complete new shooter" up to "solid mid-level competency."  The problem, of course, is that many people who currently are gun owners believe that they are already at mid-level competency and so they take "advanced tactical training" and such----but really aren't at that level.  That's okay, many "advanced tactical training" courses are just mid-level handgun technique courses with some self-defense commentary thrown in.  (Seriously---shooting on the move, shooting SHO and WHO, and learning to draw/shoot from the retention position aren't "advanced tactics," they are mid-level shooting techniques.) 

Of course, if your basic draw, reload, and transitions aren't mid-level ready, trying to draw to retention position, shoot, then move obliquely while shooting SHO isn't really going to work for you.   I'm not saying that many shooters need to go back to the "Introduction to Handguns" level---but they could gain significant skill by going to a mid-level technique class.

Anyway---post 1 in the series of three is currently up on the PRT blog.   In part 2, I'll talk about effective live and dry fire practice.  And finally, in part 3 I'll talk about what you can do so that your skills DON'T stagnate over time.

Let me know what you think. 

(Yes, I link a lot to the classes I teach in that post.  Sure, I'd love people to take more of those classes.  But mostly, because the class descriptions show exactly what I mean in terms of skill progression.  If you want to think of it as blatant advertising, go ahead :) but that really isn't why it is there.)
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
Re: How do you learn to shoot?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 07:38:52 AM »
[b(] If you want to think of it as blatant advertising, go ahead :) but that really isn't why it is there.)[/b]

Advertising is fine.   Just fine.

Blatant, confident advertising is probably even better.   To reach the Market and inform Folks about a useful product or service.   A good way for folks to find out who you are and what you do.

Whole Lotta handguns were sold in the past coupla years to folks who took them home and now aren't really sure how to use them or what to do with them.   In some cases, maybe accidents waiting to happen, whatever.

Firearms trainers can do a real service to the public and the Shooting Sports by offering frequent  low-cost Basic Pistol classes which stress firearms safety and a conservative approach to firearms ownership.

Sounds like that's what you may be doing.   (We are, too.)

So--just cut loose with that advertising and hold those classes.  Even the Blatant Stuff.   

The Shooting World will be a Better Place.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline landon410

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 08:20:24 AM »
I was in Guns Unlimited a couple weeks ago and a husband wife were looking to buy handguns. The worker showed them a good variety of guns, in different size and caliber and explained all the pros and cons of them, like he should.

now to the meat of the story, they spent the next 20 minutes (yes I was eavesdropping) asking about how to learn to shoot where to learn to shoot, classes, ranges, etc.
The worker didn't give an answer that the couple wanted, he gave the basic, find a friend, the bullet hole indoor range etc. That day that couple walked out without a gun. From what I gathered, this couple wanted one on one training on the safe use and maintenance of whatever firearm they were going to buy.

There is a huge market for this, people want to own guns, but a lot of them are scared because they have no knowledge of how to keep, clean, shoot, etc.

If you are serious about wanting to offer a class, I'd go to gun shops and ask them to tell people about your class. At one point 88 Tacitcal was giving away free intro to handgun classes if you bought a gun at Scheels (i don't know if there were any kick backs or exactly what the terms were of that offer)

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 08:29:04 AM »
From what I understand, BigShots here in Lincoln- if it's you first handgun, will take you into the range and make sure you know how to operate it, safely.  Kuddos

I'm offering free "instruction" to co-workers. (Frankly I hate going shooting by myself and  I have gotten to the point it's more fun to have others shoot my guns than me.  Weird, I know.)
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 09:02:19 AM »
What are your feelings of teaching a "flash sight picture" over "point shooting" when faced with a Critical Dynamic Incident?

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2014, 10:39:17 AM »
What are your feelings of teaching a "flash sight picture" over "point shooting" when faced with a Critical Dynamic Incident?

I know your opinion of Pincus is similar to mine, so I'm NOT going to hunt you down and whack you with a baseball bat for that comment.

This time.  Humph.   :angry:

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2014, 10:40:59 AM »

Oh crap!  Here we go.

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline sjwsti

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2014, 02:21:15 PM »
  At one point 88 Tactical was giving away free intro to handgun classes if you bought a gun at Scheels (i don't know if there were any kick backs or exactly what the terms were of that offer)

We still are. No kick backs and no charge to the student unless they need to rent a gun. Then its $10 including ammo. Not bad for a four hour course. If you purchased a pistol there and weren't offered a free class voucher they may have run out. Sometimes they are given out faster than we can replenish them.

- Shawn

"It's not what you know that will get you into trouble; it's what you know that isn't true"

www.88tactical.com

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2014, 06:10:01 PM »
Oh crap!  Here we go.

Fly

:P  It's fun to discuss though..... and I bet jthapkido or any of us would be just as "competitive" with our snubbie .38 special out to 30 yards "just to even things out"

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2014, 07:50:32 PM »
Usual excellent post.
I first learned to shoot from my dad before turning 10, shotgun and 22 revolver.  An 8 year shooting a Mossberg bolt action 20 gauge :o  Didn't think twice about it.  Always had guns in the house and knew how to use them.

After getting my CHP, I decided I didn't want to just carry a pistol around and not shoot.  After joining ENGC, ( highly recommended), I showed up at USPSA match and tried it and now  I can't stay away.  I'm just a D class shooter, but I'm trying to improve.  (Need to stop completely blowing a stage each match >:D)
I love the competition in action pistol and Steel Challenge; beats the you know what out of punching holes in paper at the local indoor ranges.

Offline AWick

• Steel Benefactor
  • Home is where your armory is.
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2014, 10:10:39 PM »
Thanks for the push JTH! I just ordered a Blade-Tech combo pack off Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BNHTWHQ/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1O)

Looking forward to getting out there and doing work.
"Well-regulated" meant well equipped, trained and disciplined... not controlled with an iron fist.

Offline Phantom

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2014, 11:01:20 AM »
Not again ..hehehehe
"If the primates that we came from had known that someday politicians would come out of the...the gene pool, they'd a stayed up in the trees and written evolution off as a bad idea.....Hell, I always thought the opposable thumb was overrated.  "-- Sheridan, "Babylon 5"

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2014, 12:52:54 PM »
Not again ..hehehehe

I'm a little stupid this morning, so you are going to have to explain this one to me...

:)

(Though of course I like the bacon soda.  Who wouldn't?!)