General Categories > Non Gun Stuff

In need of a good Read

<< < (2/6) > >>

bkoenig:
Unbroken by Lauren Hillenbrand was a good read.  It's the true story of an Olympic athlete who joined the Army Air Corps in WWII and was captured by the Japanese.

NE Bull:
I recently finished Mercy Shot  by S.C. Sherman. 
The author is from Iowa and contacted me about reviewing his work.  And I must say I was impressed for the most part.  (I still need to get that review written)  He takes the basis of stories from today's headlines- Active Shootings, Self Defense events and the politics that erupt around them and works them into a fictional, albeit absolutely believable story.  It'll scare the Hell outta ya.  If there was a concern, it also ended somewhat quickly (Or maybe it was that I actually was able to sit down for a long enough time to finish the ending in one shot.  Reading books on 30min lunch hours lends to a choppy read)
I'm not sure if it has went digital yet, but here is a link http://scsherman.com/books/mercy-shot/

Ronvandyn:

--- Quote from: bkoenig on February 27, 2014, 01:12:29 PM ---I'm a scifi nerd.  If you're into that you might look into Larry Correia, John Ringo, and Michael Z. Williamson.  They all write scifi from a conservative and/or libertarian perspective.  Correia is more of fantasy author than scifi.

--- End quote ---

+1 on Ringo! 

bkoenig:

--- Quote from: Ronvandyn on February 27, 2014, 08:04:58 PM ---+1 on Ringo! 

--- End quote ---

Ringo also has written some...ahem..."alternative" stuff.  Apparently he needed to get some bad thoughts out of his head so he put them down on paper :)

Larry Correia is a gun dork like the rest of us.  He used to be an NFA dealer and is an avid 3 gun competitor, so his books have stuff like the hero carrying a custom pair of STI 2011's.

Another suggestion - Death in the Long Grass: A Big Game Hunter's Adventures in the African Bush by Peter Hathaway Capstick.  I just finished this and it was very entertaining.

AWick:
My father still hasn't lent me his copy of "Last Man Out" by Glen McDole, one of the few survivors of the Palawan Massacre at the hands of the Japanese in WWII. He was a POW for 3 years. Glen, who passed away in 2009, was my grandfather's first cousin. He was born in Nebraska and moved to Iowa before the war. I never got the chance to meet him, but my dad told me stories about him. If I'm connecting the right family tree branches, Glen's mother lived in Ashland.

http://www.amazon.com/Last-Man-Out-Survivor-Massacre/dp/0786418222

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version