< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Open carry in Grand Island, Ne?  (Read 4792 times)

Offline RebelCoyote666

• NFOA Full Member
  • 1775 patriot living in 2013
    • Dark Eagle Civilian Militia - Grand Island, Ne
Open carry in Grand Island, Ne?
« on: February 28, 2014, 09:40:49 PM »
Plain and simple, I've been mugged twice over the last two years walking around Grand Island, Ne. [Hall County]
Once at gun point and once at knife point, both incidents occurred after dark approximately 00:15 and 02:00. I was walking to the 24 hour convenience store to obtain a pack of cigarettes and both times was unable to because, well, my money was taken.  :laugh:

So my question is, if I chose to open carry my long gun, [Mossberg Maverick 88] would I be breaking any laws? What would be the proper way to do so? I acknowledge that I'm 19 and inexperienced in these matters and am looking to the carry veterans for guidance and knowledge.

Also, if I were to be breaking any laws be it State, City, or County I will refrain from open carrying my weapon.

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Open carry in Grand Island, Ne?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 10:18:44 PM »
Legality or illegality aside, I usually advise inexperienced, nicotine-craving 19-year-olds to reconsider carrying their shotguns into convenience stores at 02:00.  Just my two cents.   :D
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 12:59:15 AM by feralcatkillr »
"Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder." ~ FCK

Offline RebelCoyote666

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2014, 10:24:20 PM »
I understand your point. But the convenience stores I do frequent are friendly towards side arm holders. No signs saying otherwise and I have asked the managers and clerks and their opinion and mostly got confused looks and responses similiar to 'This is Nebraska, everybody and their dog has a gun don't they?' Simply I want to for my own protection as well as I do work nights, so my only real chance to go out and about is after dark.

Offline SS_N_NE

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2014, 12:08:21 AM »
A primary rule of self defense is to avoid confrontation. Lack of confrontation eliminates the need to defend yourself. No matter how well a person is prepared (training, observation, weapons, etc.) there is alway risk. 
You have been attacked twice in the same place.  I say avoid that place and your problem is greatly reduced.  Take a gun to that place and the problem could get worse on many many levels. (surviving the initial levels, you may end up having to defend yourself in court explaining why you went back to a place that posed a problem, with a firearm.) Openly carrying a firearm may not deter theives and possibly encourage them (as now they know you have money for the store and a gun to steal also).
A police crusier driving by the store late at night may have a very oposite view of a man walking into a conveninece store late at night with a openly visable gun. Even though the store may be OK with customer protection, the police will most likely have a totally different view.
I have to side with not carrying the shotgun, avoiding late night convenience stores (and the local predators) and giving up smoking as all are likely to prolong your life.

Offline HuskerXDM

• 2014 NFOA Firearms Rights Champion
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2014, 07:57:48 AM »
Since you're 19, it is legal for you to posses a handgun.  If you're determined to open carry it might be less of an issue to OC a handgun... just sayin'

Also, get yourself some non-lethal defense.. OC spray.  I carry mine all the time because I can't carry at work (unless there is a miracle and the Level II permit bill passes).  It's just good policy.  And as Thomas would say... if you buy one, buy two and practice with one so you know how to use it.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 08:00:50 AM by HuskerXDM »
The master has failed more than the beginner has even tried.

Offline Bucket

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2014, 08:42:20 AM »
Quit smoking?

Offline SS_N_NE

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2014, 08:53:31 AM »
One of the next rules of self defense is that weapons can be taken from you and possibly used against you (that can happen in several ways than the obvious).
I would encourage a self defense class that does not involve weapons. Not a marshal arts class of oriental format but a street smart type class. Such a class will develop a mindset that will have you (avoiding conflict) aware of your environment, options of flight or fight, open hand options or confidence to use other options (weapons).
Training strictly for one weapon can have a tunnel vision effect. Leathal force for a pack of smokes is a poor legal defense.

Offline HuskerXDM

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2014, 09:08:51 AM »
Omaha is the only place I know of with OC restrictions.  The State has no mention of OC so local ordinances may address it... make sure to do your research. 

Also, if I were to be breaking any laws be it State, City, or County I will refrain from open carrying my weapon.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2014, 10:27:53 AM »
Situational awareness will solve 90% of your problems, that includes not going to the mini-mart when mostly thugs and drunks are out.

IMHO, carrying a loaded shotgun on your person is simply not the appropriate response to this situation.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline DaveB

• NFOA Full Member
  • Future lottery winner!
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2014, 04:48:25 PM »
Go during daylight and save the hassle of being mugged at night when the thugs are out breaking out car windows there. Situational awareness starts with going out when it's safer to do so.

I would be willing to bet that if you are walking around with a shotgun, while legal, will draw attention from at least one person driving by and calling the cops on you. Then explaining you are headed to a convenience store with it will probably make you wish you didn't have to be smoking. Will probably get good quick service though.

Offline RebelCoyote666

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2014, 05:21:19 PM »
Since you're 19, it is legal for you to posses a handgun.  If you're determined to open carry it might be less of an issue to OC a handgun... just sayin'

Also, get yourself some non-lethal defense.. OC spray.  I carry mine all the time because I can't carry at work (unless there is a miracle and the Level II permit bill passes).  It's just good policy.  And as Thomas would say... if you buy one, buy two and practice with one so you know how to use it.

Last I checked you had to be 21 to purchase a hand gun. As much as I loved to I don't think I can.

Offline HuskerXDM

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2014, 06:47:07 PM »
True.  We've had a similar discussion on this forum with an 18 year old who had received a handgun as a gift, so without knowing your situation, I was just providing some info. 

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2014, 06:59:42 PM »
Last I checked you had to be 21 to purchase a hand gun. As much as I loved to I don't think I can.

Purchase, yes.  Possess, no.  You can be given a handgun as a gift, and own, possess, and carry it (OC) legally in Nebraska.

I note that I tend to agree with most people here:  your choices have given you significant amounts of information about various threats in your environment.   Carrying a shotgun (either in hand or in a sling in combat mode, because having it slung on your back won't help you at all in a surprise situation, which it what has apparently happened to you before) will 1) escalate the situation assuming one happens (after all, you have apparently not been physically damaged from your muggings), 2) potentially provide a free gun to a mugger if your awareness level does not suffice for the situation, 3) cause a significant amount of legal issues for you if you do not make correct decisions regarding use of force regarding lethal force in response to a mugging if your awareness is enough to not provide a free gun to a mugger, and 4) garner a significant amount of negative attention from the people around you, in particular the business where you are going.

This isn't me telling you what to do---I'm merely saying that carrying a shotgun turns your low-level (not saying "not important," merely saying "no physical damage") interactions with criminals into one significantly more dangerous.  Particularly as you are planning on carrying a large, obvious weapon in an area apparently filled with people who already carry weapons and have no problem taking things from other people---where you will have difficulty walking around with a shotgun at the ready the entire time.

I'm all for people defending themselves.  That being said, effective self-defense (that keeps you safe which includes both keeping you out of jail AND keeping you from paying large legal fees) in this case probably should really be more based on making intelligent choices (example:  not going for smokes when you know people like to mug you----and as someone who worked the night shift for two years in grad school, we both know full well that you could think ahead and get smokes at other times), and being aware of your surroundings and the people in them.

Considering the "at gun point" and "at knife point" parts of what you what, I'm curious as to what the police did when you reported the muggings.  I assume you gave them a description of your assailant in both cases? 
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline DenmanShooter

• NFOA Full Member
  • Fear No Evil
    • SolidRed
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2014, 08:38:17 AM »
Legality or illegality aside, I usually advise inexperienced, nicotine-craving 19-year-olds to reconsider carrying their shotguns into convenience stores at 02:00.  Just my two cents.

This needs a "LIKE" button.
The golf course is a willful and deliberate misuse of a perfectly good rifle range!      Jeff  Cooper

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2014, 07:29:57 AM »
Avoidance.  Evasion.  De-escalation.
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline Tim McBride

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2014, 09:54:50 AM »
It depends, how bad do you want to be treated like a robbery suspect at 2am?

Offline DanClrk51

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2014, 07:31:22 AM »
Purchase, yes.  Possess, no.  You can be given a handgun as a gift, and own, possess, and carry it (OC) legally in Nebraska.

Are you sure you can legally open carry a handgun at 18 (if received as a gift) in Nebraska? I know in Iowa you can but I was under the impression this was not the case in Nebraska?

Could you post the state statute that deals with this please?

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2014, 07:43:53 AM »
Could you post the state statute that deals with this please?
[/b]

Always the Best Approach:   Where is It So Written????

However, Nebraska state statutes are pretty much mute on the issue of Open Carry.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline DanClrk51

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2014, 07:46:56 AM »
[/b]

Always the Best Approach:   Where is It So Written????

However, Nebraska state statutes are pretty much mute on the issue of Open Carry.

sfg

Right....I knew that.......so the best thing we have to go on is possession?

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2014, 10:41:45 AM »
Right....I knew that.......so the best thing we have to go on is possession?

Yup.  It's clear that you did.
   My post was simply affirmation of your point.  Better to look it up in the statutes than to ask a buddy.   Or even a CHP instructor. 

One approach might be to check case law.   Wouldn't know how or where to start.   Googling<"open carry"  "case law"  Nebraska> provides some insights and interesting reads.

The Open Carry issue begs for some kind of clarification. Mainly to give better legal cover to Those Who OC.

sfg
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 10:46:44 AM by SemperFiGuy »
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer